Sponsored

Standard Engine..??

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Some sites (Allpar for example) are claiming the Pentastar V6 will be the base engine and JL Wrangler Forums is reporting that the Hurricane I4 will be the base engine. This is critical to a buyer like me because I don't want to end up having to pay $2000 for the V6 to avoid having to drive an unreliable, Italian-designed gutless engine.
Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
If I had to guess, I'd say the 2.0T is standard on the 2-dr and 3.6 standard on the 4-dr, with an option to switch to the other engine at no charge.

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
If I had to guess, I'd say the 2.0T is standard on the 2-dr and 3.6 standard on the 4-dr, with an option to switch to the other engine at no charge.
Interesting. Why would the 2 and 4 door have different standard engines than each other though? Just trying to understand what the purpose would be that maybe I'm missing.

I've been wondering the same thing as OP for a while and tend to believe this site's info which has been solid.

Lee H Greidanus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former jk owner
Occupation
Mail carrier
Interesting. Why would the 2 and 4 door have different standard engines than each other though? Just trying to understand what the purpose would be that maybe I'm missing.

I've been wondering the same thing as OP for a while and tend to believe this site's info which has been solid.
I would guess because the 4 door weighs more

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I really fell in love with the Pentastar. It was in my last 2 cars and gave me 0 issues. It also sounds wonderful despite being a Chrysler V6, lol. The idea of a 2.0 turbo 4 in a 4x4 with solid axles and BFG mud terrains.. no bueno.

Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I was thinking the 4 cyl may be standard on Sport and Sahara. Rubi needs a 6 or the diesel.

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I was thinking the 4 cyl may be standard on Sport and Sahara. Rubi needs a 6 or the diesel.
I agree. I think the Rubi will definitely be getting the 6 cylinder as standard. The 4 really just doesn't belong.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think the 4 will be plenty powerful, but I'll still take the 6 or the diesel. I drive a Rubi every day with less power than that 4 will have. I had a YJ with a 4 with 120 hp. I still loved it and wish I still had it.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
They just redesigned the 2018 Chevy Traverse and the FWD 6 cyl gets up to 27 MPG on the highway. The FWD "RS" 4 cyl Turbo version only gets 25 MPG on the highway. The Traverse is about the same weight as the JKU but is a little more aerodynamic. The Traverse is also running with a 9-spd auto vs an 8-spd for the JLU. I think the 4 will struggle in the Wrangler.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I really hope this is not the case. I'm holding out for a Sport JLU. I will be disappointed if the 4 cyl is standard with no option for 6 cyl on a base model.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Grand cherokee 4x4 lists 18/25. Hoping JLU can achieve similar mpg with same engine and tranny.

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I really hope this is not the case. I'm holding out for a Sport JLU. I will be disappointed if the 4 cyl is standard with no option for 6 cyl on a base model.
The option for a 6 cyl on base model will definitely exist. Jeep would be more than happy to take your money lol!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Since the manual transmission is only offered with the 6 cyl, I think it will be the base engine. Unless they decide to make the auto standard and charge a premium for the manual/pentastar combo but that would be a departure from what they have done in the past.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Whats needed for better mpg ? Lighten up vehicle ; increase aerodynamics ; smaller, more fuel efficient engine ; reduce parasitic drag on engine by delegating workload to stand alone systems ( electric power steering, electric water pump ). The increased drag of a generator under load is offset by the duty cycle not being continuous ; the belt-driven water pump is always robbing power; likewise the belt-driven power steering pump.
I think the 4 T , with the 8 spd Auto, is a strictly MPG effort to meet CAFE standards. How it will do in Real World, off road, will be interesting to see. A 500lb weight reduction from current (3800 lbs) will bring it to TJ fighting trim, almost.
The old YJs and TJs, with their 125-145hp 4 bangers weighed in at 3,000 lbs. Their fuel economy , real world from my experience, was 23, absolute best, typical 18mpg, combined.
I can't wait for this endless Suspense and Speculation to end, with an ACTUAL JL to see, drive, Test !!
My no frills 2015 JK 2 dr, gets 17-18 combined. Thats at 3800 lbs, 3:73 gears, 6spd manual.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel
The old YJs and TJs, with their 125-145hp 4 bangers weighed in at 3,000 lbs. Their fuel economy , real world from my experience, was 23, absolute best, typical 18mpg, combined.
I can't wait for this endless Suspense and Speculation to end, with an ACTUAL JL to see, drive, Test !!
My no frills 2015 JK 2 dr, gets 17-18 combined. Thats at 3800 lbs, 3:73 gears, 6spd manua
thats terrible i get 16 mpg out of my old fsj cherokee with a 6.2 chev diesel & im not kind to it
Sponsored