Sponsored

Is every Jeep dealership in the North East impossible to work with on used Jeeps?

Unix_Gawd

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL (Firecracker Red); 2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew 4x4; 1951 Ford F4 Deluxe Extra Cab;
Without reading through this string to see if someone else suggested this, just search online (cars.com, autotrader, etc.) and when U find the correct one, negotiate through email/instant message/etc. I even forward offers from one internet manager to another until I am content with the price.

I have been doing this for over 25yrs, including buying out of state. I then just had it shipped and pay TTL in TX. U will also need to find a reasonable shipper. There is a website U can use for shippers to bid on your item (I cant look for it right now). I had a Ford Truck shipped from northern GA to Houston for a little over $500 in 2015.

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
In my hunt for a used 2018 JL, I have called multiple dealerships. What I am finding is that Jeep dealerships in specific have the biggest heads in the game. Every time I call, I speak to a manager (or so they say) and they say there is no wiggle room on a deal.

Basically, in my most recent search, I found a used JL, that the dealership has listed at $39K that is their courtesy vehicle. I called and asked if there is wiggle room. They say no, but drive in your car to see if we can do better on the trade in. They basically refuse to work with you.

My favorite is that a dealership less then 10 miles from them have NEW 2018 Sahara's listed at $41K with the same package. It just boggles my mind the attitudes and the big heads these dealerships have over these cars.

Sorry to vent, but after losing out yesterday on the Jeep I wanted, I am pretty exhausted with this search and these dealers. Specifically dealers from Jeep.

Maybe you should order a new one and wait the 2 months. You know the price upfront which is negotiable and can include no dealer add ons, which most if not all dealerships in Arizona will ask (about $1400.00). You will have the 3 year FCA warranty in addition and know where the vehicle was and driven beforehand. I own a 2018, fortunately, it didn't have any of the problems experienced from some posters. Yes you can test drive on arrival before cementing the final paper work. I ordered mine, because I wanted a tan interior, BSP, larger display (has CarPlay for GPS) etc. Yes used Wranglers demand almost the same price as a new one. There are many personal reasons for owning a Wrangler, but in the end, the re-sale vale is a big plus. They are worth, based on data, 85% of there initial after 5 years. The best in the industry, in addition to the fact that nothing will touch it off-road.

sobeit69

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Freedom Ed. 2005 Hummer H2 SUT
In my hunt for a used 2018 JL, I have called multiple dealerships. What I am finding is that Jeep dealerships in specific have the biggest heads in the game. Every time I call, I speak to a manager (or so they say) and they say there is no wiggle room on a deal.

Basically, in my most recent search, I found a used JL, that the dealership has listed at $39K that is their courtesy vehicle. I called and asked if there is wiggle room. They say no, but drive in your car to see if we can do better on the trade in. They basically refuse to work with you.

My favorite is that a dealership less then 10 miles from them have NEW 2018 Sahara's listed at $41K with the same package. It just boggles my mind the attitudes and the big heads these dealerships have over these cars.

Sorry to vent, but after losing out yesterday on the Jeep I wanted, I am pretty exhausted with this search and these dealers. Specifically dealers from Jeep.
Simple answer. Order Brand new what you want...from a dealer like Criswell. 7 to 8% off invoice. Dont be afraid to ask for different builds either....
You can also use the cheat sheets here and built it yourself. Know the cost of invoice then take 7% off that price.
And it's a 2020.

Also consider interest rates are WAY lower on new verses used. Also local credit unions have cheaper rates.
I'm at 1.99 for 72 months. Jeep was 5%.

Sponsored

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JT (Gladiator) Mojave | Gobi
Occupation
Business and Executive Coach
Vehicle Showcase
Wranglers don't drop in value much and dealers don't wiggle too much on used vehicles. That's where they make a lot of money to make up low margins on new vehicles. The overwhelming majority of Wrangler buyers pay MSRP or close to MSRP. What you see on this forum isn't the norm for most Jeep owners. When you consider what most people pay and the fact Wranglers retain their value it's not a surprise used ones aren't far off from 5-8% below invoice on a new one. Quite frankly what people ask on here and facebook are far more laughable than what I've seen dealers ask on used JLs.

This is one of the few vehicles worth buying brand new because of this. Save up some money and splurge once you can on a brand new one at one of the dealerships recommended on here selling below invoice. Almost all of the orders taking 4 weeks to come in, that's not a long time to wait.
Well... Wranglers don't drop much in value until you try and trade one in. Every dealer I know in Georgia claims the vehicles hold their value when they want to sell one to you, but they get amnesia and want to low ball you if you want to trade.

I understand this is part of Wrangler ownership, so I just roll with it.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Well... Wranglers don't drop much in value until you try and trade one in. Every dealer I know in Georgia claims the vehicles hold their value when they want to sell one to you, but they get amnesia and want to low ball you if you want to trade.
Like anything in life just because something is valued at xxx doesn't mean everybody will be willing to pay that price. Dealers will always low ball the value because they have leverage giving you a quick easy sell compared to dealing with a private one. Their inventory and local market needs to be considered too. Any sale on a large amount of money(house, car, boat, etc) for market value will almost always take some time and effort.

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I've been dealing with this in Texas for the last few weeks. I don't understand why anyone would buy used at this point. The prices between new and used are <$2,000. If you're paying $40k+ for a vehicle, an additional $2k for a brand new vehicle seems like a no brainer.

I have a dealer that contacts me weekly about a Used 2018 Rubicon with 20,000 miles that I inquired on. I've shown them the numbers directly and talked to them about how it doesn't make sense to buy used from them. They refuse to budge on price for me. Every week, though, they drop the price $100. If someone wasn't willing to pay $42,900, why would they pay $42,800? 20,000 miles + 2 years old, not fully loaded.. yeah I'll pay $36k at best. In the 40's and I'll just order new.

I'm not in a rush to get back in a Wrangler. I'll gladly wait until next year when Ford starts releasing more info on their Bronco's. Also, this isn't just for used 2018's. I've found left-over 2018s on the lots that dealers just don't want to budge on.

Fortunately it's all just a toy, so no rush on my end.. I'll wait until the price is right.

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
I've been dealing with this in Texas for the last few weeks. I don't understand why anyone would buy used at this point. The prices between new and used are <$2,000. If you're paying $40k+ for a vehicle, an additional $2k for a brand new vehicle seems like a no brainer.
Or Vroom who sells used Rubicons for more than MSRP.

JLo

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2022 JTD
I got a really good deal at Old Saybrook Jeep, ask for Josh!

Sponsored

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
We purchased our first new vehicle in 13 years. The automobile purchasing experience is one of the worst things I can think of to do. Your experience is why we still have our 2004 Tahoe, 275,000 miles and our 2005 Silverado Duramax, 387,000.
You still have that Silverado because 05 and 06 were the best years for them. Easily hit 500k in that truck. I’m jealous

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The prices between new and used are <$2,000. If you're paying $40k+ for a vehicle, an additional $2k for a brand new vehicle seems like a no brainer.
I imagine that only really works if you buy a no-options Rubicon. Somehow I see a no-options rubicon reselling for not much less than a loaded rubicon.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .

My favorite is that a dealership less then 10 miles from them have NEW 2018 Sahara's listed at $41K with the samwalk away e package. It just boggles my mind the attitudes and the big heads these dealerships have over these cars.

Just remember they don't sell they don't eat walk away because there is plenty other salesman that do like to eat ! There's a reason for everything .

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
You still have that Silverado because 05 and 06 were the best years for them. Easily hit 500k in that truck. I’m jealous
Yeah, I am trying to do this on the phone. With my wife's cars, I never had an issue doing this on the phone. Going in person is ideal, but some of these dealerships are 2 hours away. So doing the in and and out game doesn't work so well, especially on used. For new, I do this all the time as it's really easy to work the dealerships off each other on the same models.

For a used JL that is most likely a trade in and not an expired lease, this is harder to do. Especially when I also have it narrowed down to a color I want.
Yeah, I am trying to do this on the phone. With my wife's cars, I never had an issue doing this on the phone. Going in person is ideal, but some of these dealerships are 2 hours away. So doing the in and and out game doesn't work so well, especially on used. For new, I do this all the time as it's really easy to work the dealerships off each other on the same models.

For a used JL that is most likely a trade in and not an expired lease, this is harder to do. Especially when I also have it narrowed down to a color I want.
Go online to cargurus put in your preference and the miles from 0 to nationwide you should be able find what your looking for and Dealers that like to eat and not bend you over !

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
You never should ask if they have wiggle room. Make your offer and keep it lower than your target number. They should make a counter offer. Walk away , they will call in a day or so and make another offer. There is a game to be played and you have to learn how to play it. I just ordered a new Wrangler that stickered out at 52,185. They offered to knock 500 bucks off that. I told them I would pay 47k. 5 days later after much back and forth, they sold me the jeep for 48,873. I thought that was a decent deal.
When the salesman and I first sat down and specked out the jeep he said they would only knock 500 off the vehicle because it was ordered. Point is , they are all full of shit. In year area , there is tons of competition so you should be able to get the price you are after. Money talks. Make an offer ,leave your phone number. They will call.

My last 3 cars I actually got back in my car to leave the dealership after making my offer. All 3, the salesman came out to get me to come back in. I intentionally waited 5-10 minutes longer than normal (faking a phone call). You shouldn't care what they are asking for the Jeep. If you like it, give a fair price...Then when you decide on a price, ask for 'dealer installed' options. Know the costs of the options you want to add ahead of time. Remind them that the cost is less for them. They can 'eat' those costs easier. One even agreed to the option, but not the installation. It was a trailer hitch. They just put it in the back of the Jeep. I installed it. I also learned for a 'trainee salesperson' that Managers Special means they have to move the vehicle because its been on the lot more than 30 days, and interest is coming due.
Sponsored