Preventing Spare Tire Theft

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
These were on sale (Amazon) a few months ago. Much cheaper back then. Much lower profile than the mopar/mcgard locks (which stick out quite a bit).

Jeep Wrangler JL Preventing Spare Tire Theft {filename}
Unfortunately these will not work with aftermarket wheels. However, these locks I purchased off of Amazon will:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P6D946Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Why do you say that the Gorilla spline lug nuts won't work on aftermarket wheels? The thread size and mushroom base are the same as the McGard's in your link.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I'm use one Mopar lock lug nut. I know it will stop not them but it will slow them down a little.
The Mopar & McGuard locks are easy to remove. They are too tall. All you have to do is clamp a vice grip on it and unscrew.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
How about a ring welded to the carrier, and a chain/padlock looped through the wheel and ring?

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara unlimited 2018
I'm use one Mopar lock lug nut. I know it will stop not them but it will slow them down a little.
That's the best one! Just over tight the Mopar regular lugs then let the thief try to steel the tire!!! Those aluminium cover will crack and then try to remove the small bolt!!!

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Why do you say that the Gorilla spline lug nuts won't work on aftermarket wheels? The thread size and mushroom base are the same as the McGard's in your link.
The mushroom base is at the same degree slope but it is not the same width (that's what she said!). The McGard's are much more narrow and are already installed on my (aftermarket) wheels. I can post a comparison photo if anyone is interested. I am happy to help others out.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
These were on sale (Amazon) a few months ago. Much cheaper back then. Much lower profile than the mopar/mcgard locks (which stick out quite a bit).

I had bought the 5 pack of Gorilla locks before realizing they had a full system. I bought the full system today, but kept the other 5 and so I have two different sets of locks on each wheel. It means I have to have two different keys, but hopefully, it will slow a thief down to the point of being caught.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I had bought the 5 pack of Gorilla locks before realizing they had a full system. I bought the full system today, but kept the other 5 and so I have two different sets of locks on each wheel. It means I have to have two different keys, but hopefully, it will slow a thief down to the point of being caught.
Funny story...
The Mrs. wants new rims and 35s but I said we need to wait until this rubber on the 33s burns off. The other week she popped a bead on the trail, in the rain, in the mud and we had to change it and of course had to dig the key out of the glove box... just one more thing to do. I told her I'm taking the locks off the rims, they are a pain in the arse. She said what if someone steels them? I said then you get 35s right away... she told me to take them off right now. LOL.

Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase

I got these and put them on today. I love the way the black looks on my Sahara. :).

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Regarding dealerships using locking lugs............the dealerships in my area don't have them installed (at least not when I was shopping for my JK or my JL and my wife's Grand Cherokee), neither did the dealership I bought my JL from in PA.

I can't really say the beaches I travel to and the ski resorts I travel to are high theft areas, I doubt they are. I just don't want to test this. I'd rather do all I can do to keep my spare safe. And you're 100% correct, if a thief really wants my spare the POS will get it.
The best thing you can do is make yourself a hard target. Use a locking lug... park under a light or in view of the CCTV cameras... position your vehicle where it can be seen by others... that sort of thing. Thieves have two goals: get the item they want AND not get caught doing it. If you make yours the hard target they’ll move on to a softer one that accomplishes both of their goals.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The Mopar & McGuard locks are easy to remove. They are too tall. All you have to do is clamp a vice grip on it and unscrew.
An experienced wheel thief doesn't use visegrips. They bring a 12 point socket set and hammer, select one of the appropriate size, beat it on the McGard lock or similar, and loosen it with a wrench. You'd be surprised how easy it is. You'll never bother with wheel locks again. Actually takes less time and fumbling around than using the actual McGard style key.

Kona Damien

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Rubicon and ‘13 Grand Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
On vacation or parking out and about, I will back into a spot, using the nice JL backup camera. I try to use a spot that has an obstacle I can put the spare within inches of. This makes it so the entire Jeep has to be moved to get the spare off. I’m willing to walk a bit further to park in a spot like that.
Sponsored