Sponsored

EZ Pass Issues

Tdizz11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Where is everyone mounting their EZ Passes? Starting with my JK, I had the regular windshield EZ pass and it worked like every other time. Called EZ Pass and they sent me the license plate mount. I had that on for about 2 years and now that's working like 50% of the time. Called EZ pass and now they sent me another windshield pass. I haven't tried the Windshield EZ pass on my JL yet. I'm in NY. It's a real pain when the pass doesn't work. I have to always remember to call the EZ pass when I'm on the Thruway and it doesn't work. They actually charge you the highest toll if your pass doesn't work. The worst is getting on a bridge and it doesn't work. The gate stays closed, you become "that person" holding up traffic and you have to pay cash. Any suggestions before I stick this stupid thing on?
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I just keep mine loose in the center console and put it on the dash when I need it (I'm only in a place for tolls once every couple weeks or so). I'm more worried that someone would just grab it off the mirror when the tops off than forgetting to put it up. Same thing with my accessible parking placard, I've got that taped to the bottom of the windshield rather than up high.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I live in NYC. I've put mine above my rear view mirror and have no problems. I did have a ton of issues with my JK and EZPass in contrast.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I have a NY EZ Pass, since I enrolled long before PA had started their own. It was worth enrolling back then, for breezing through the toll booths on the NY Thruway--especially at Buffalo--during annual ski trips!

My favorite place is behind the rear view mirror, but placed in the right half of the "shadow" of the mirror for my vision from the driver's seat. On my Wrangler, due to the transponder being mounted in the mirror's shadow, I lose 0% of the visible area of that already small windshield. From the driver's seat I cannot see my EZ Pass transponder unless I lean over or stretch to look over the mirror.

From the front of the vehicle, it looks like the EZ Pass is off-center and slightly high vs. the mirror. I'll let others fret about that asymmetric external look--my vision through the windshield is the determinant.

Some vehicles have extensive shading/tinting/dot patterns at the top of the windshield. (I wish the Wrangler had SOME shading...) On past vehicles, if my mirror shadow extends into that area, I mount the transponder with at least half in clear windshield, but again behind the mirror. Since on all my past and current vehicles the transponder is thus mounted in the clear area of the windshield, I've never had reception/reading issues in toll booths. (I should note that some vehicle manufacturers apparently use metallic shielding for tinting/UV purposes on the windshield; I believe these require an external transponder. Details would be on the EZ Pass website for your area.)

Hope this helps.

MH

P.S.: While drafting this, I just saw the comment about removing the EZ Pass when going topless. That works, too, but I read somewhere that EZ Pass officially doesn't like "flasher" use of its transponders. That would facilitate use of stolen transponders.

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
I think ours is a PA one but it works fine just to hold it up about where you would mount it when needed and store in the console

OP
OP
Tdizz11

Tdizz11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
I put mine (I-Pass in Illinois) on the dashboard and it dishes out the tolls and opens gates just fine.
IMGL1320_1.JPG
That looks just like the one I have. I think I'm going to try this first. I don't use it every day. I don't want someone grabbing it when I have the top off.

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Do you guys not have a sticker? In Florida, we have Sun Pass and it uses a sticker or the old style plastic transponder. Works just fine behind my rear view mirror.

Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
That looks just like the one I have. I think I'm going to try this first. I don't use it every day. I don't want someone grabbing it when I have the top off.
It's got to be one of the dumbest things to steal, because what would that get you? Other than annoying the person you stole it from. I leave it out most times & don't really worry about it. I was glad I didn't have to Velcro it to the windshield anymore.

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler 2dr
We have both EZpass and SunPass here and I was using SunPass for years with no problems but EZpass I was told the money stays in your area and you get rebates so I switched over.
They are awful, it misses all the time and I get hammered with toll by plate (some as high as 16.50 per toll)
I switched back to SunPass and have been fine since. I wonder if it’s the same company as it says it’s good up the coast in other states.

I wish they would just come out with a US wide one. I at one point had 5 different accounts in 6 states when I RVd

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
Timely thread as I was just in my brand new JLUR trying to figure out where I was going to put it. In my previous car I always had it behind the mirror as high on the windshield as it could go and exactly centered. But as others have mentioned, in the Jeep I would lose a fractional bit of visibility due to the short windshield.

On the way back from picking up the Jeep from the dealer I just had it in the center dash tray and that seemed to work fine. I may just keep in the center console and throw it out there on the dash only when I need it.

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Interesting. Has this been an issue?

I have the Sunpass, older thin one with suction cups. I put right behind the rear view mirror. Ive been getting letters from Tolls that I havent paid supposedly. Wondering why now?
Sponsored