Sponsored

E-ZPass® transponder - Plasti-Dip & Mount with ...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My new E-ZPass® transponder arrived today. The battery died on my old one...

So, I had to Plasti-Dip it black like my old one.

I peel the Plasti-Dip off the old E-ZPass® before I send it back . The stuff comes off easily..

I Plasti-Dip the E-ZPass® so when it is placed on my front windshield it is not an eye catcher , an eyesore... a white blotch on my windshield.

Takes but a few minutes to coat it with a few coats of black Plasti-Dip.

I cover the whole thing, even the white label on it.

The Plasti-Dip coating has absolutely no impact on the transponder being read by E-ZPass® system receivers along the road or at the toll both areas.

I'd say the trick to this Plasti-Dip the E-ZPass® thing is how you fasten it to the windshield afterwards.

Most everything you use to secure the transponder, to the windshield is white and or stands out like a sore thumb...

Except these... and these are black in color, not shiney, hold strong .....and also with these, you can easily remove the E-ZPass® transponder when necessary.

8daa53f71c8e91054175dfa8e8f6c772b9.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to mention in the original post. You take one Command Strip in the package, and click it onto another one of the Command Strips in the package. Cut it to size of the transponder's backside..

With them clicked together this way, you have adhesive on each side of the pairing. One side's adhesive fastens to the EZ Pass transponder and the other side's adhesive fastens to the windshield.

Now, when you want to temporarily take down the E-ZPass® you just tug on the transponder, and it lets say unclicks. To place the E-ZPass® back on there you just click it on.

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
what did you use for the plasti dip and any advice on how to best "dip" the transponder? Def want to do thi.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what did you use for the plasti dip and any advice on how to best "dip" the transponder? Def want to do thi.
@robd1438

Got black Plastidip spray at Walmart.

Sprayed light coat on one side and sides of transponder, Let lt dry for 5 min. and repeated 3 times. Then let dry for say 30 mins., flipped it over and did other side.

If you lie transponder on an old, clean, dry 2'x2' piece of cardboard, you can get the transponder to slide around it as you spray coats, so transponder does not get spray stuck to cardboard.

After all done, let dry for say an hour and then apply strips l mentioned.

Remember, if you mess up, not happy with the Plastidip it peals off easily.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Why not just cover the entire backside with the black Velcro cut to fit? No spraying needed

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I used to paint the ePass/SunPass we had here in Fl for the same reason. Never seemed to effect performance. Then I got caught at the airport trying to get out when the SunPass lane was not working. The paint covered the serial number of the ePass and it caused a ruckus with the attendants at OIA. So if your state has a pass that has some sort of serial./ID number, you may want to mask that part off.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why not just cover the entire backside with the black Velcro cut to fit? No spraying needed
Well, for starters, Velcro works lousy for an EZPass. If you experience the fastener's l suggested you will know they are perfect..best choice for the job.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used to paint the ePass/SunPass we had here in Fl for the same reason. Never seemed to effect performance. Then I got caught at the airport trying to get out when the SunPass lane was not working. The paint covered the serial number of the ePass and it caused a ruckus with the attendants at OIA. So if your state has a pass that has some sort of serial./ID number, you may want to mask that part off.
Well, then all you do is pay the toll with cash.

Also usually now a days they wave you on and pic is taken of plate..

On my travels these days booths are most often no longer manned.
Your pass does not register, pic is taken and your EZPass is billed.

I don't worry about it. I travel lots and never had an issue.

Yes, you can tape off markings on transponder and not Plasti dip.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Well, for starters, Velcro works lousy for an EZPass. If you experience the fastener's l suggested you will know they are perfect..best choice for the job.
That's what I'm referring to, they are also called industrial velcro in some parts

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

lagunajim

You guys don't have the "license plate frame" version out east that we have out here. You don't have to attach it to the license plate bolts - I actually put mine up under the front-right fender just behind the front parking light and the system read it just fine from there. Nobody sees it nobody steals it. Weatherproof.

upload_2018-12-20_20-10-26.png

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
You guys don't have the "license plate frame" version out east that we have out here. You don't have to attach it to the license plate bolts - I actually put mine up under the front-right fender just behind the front parking light and the system read it just fine from there. Nobody sees it nobody steals it. Weatherproof.

upload_2018-12-20_20-10-26.png
I have this on my license plate too. I may look at putting in bumper as you did tho.

Can u share a pic of where you put it? How’s you mount? Snow in chicago May make in wheel well a nogo.

lagunajim

Yeah, no snow in Orange County, Cal. I don't have that style in my Jeep right now - they gave me a new one with a switch representing 1, 2, or 3 passengers in the car.. I keep it in the glove box and put it on the dash the two times a month I use a tollroad.

zingat

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Jeepster !
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 please share some pics of the install. Is the tag read reliably through the toll booths ?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
@Rhinebeck01Is the tag read reliably through the toll booths ?
He already answered that in the original post:

The Plasti-Dip coating has absolutely no impact on the transponder being read by E-ZPass® system receivers along the road or at the toll both areas
Sponsored