J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Where are you wheeling there? Great pics!!
Thanks! This is at a friend's property in Jonesberg.

Someone (maybe you) posted that MWJT is having an easy run at the end of this month. We were going to try and make it, to meet some people. Maybe see you there?
Sponsored

Midwesttrekker

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Granite Crystal Ordered 7/19. 2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! This is at a friend's property in Jonesberg.

Someone (maybe you) posted that MWJT is having an easy run at the end of this month. We were going to try and make it, to meet some people. Maybe see you there?

Easy run, that sounds like my speed! Lol!

I'm still waiting on my Jeep... KZ status waiting to ship. If it gets here within the next 2 weeks, I'll be wrenching on it for a couple weekends (winch, roof rack, etc) and then actually thinking about driving to Alaska! I have 3 weeks off starting Aug 30. Am I crazy? lol

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got rid of the last of my external red pieces: my recovery hooks. I plasti-dipped all hooks. This is until some new bumpers come my way :)

IMG_5094.JPG
IMG_5095.JPG

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Time for some "eyes and ears": dashcams and CBs!

We took advantage of Amazon prime day and went with the Rexing V1P Pro, dual cam setup. We didnt want anything really expensive, but wanted a piece of mind while driving.

Cam - https://www.rexingusa.com/products/rexing-v1p-pro/
Hardwire kit - https://www.amazon.com/Hardwire-Battery-Protection-Supply-Installation-Include/dp/B078T5T21G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=17VGTQOAP3FU1&keywords=rexing+hardwire+kit&qid=1566770519&s=gateway&sprefix=rexing+hard,aps,168&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE5S0k2RUNGQkUzOEomZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyMDUzMTczMkdMUTRFQ1NBVTBMJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2MTAwMTFDWEY5UlRQMDNLTTgmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
MicroSD - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T2N1WNX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even though we ordered the hardwire kit, we only wired it to the "ignition" wire, for now. Dont feel the need for 24hr recording.

I actually installed the dashcam and CB on separate days on mine, so i decided to use "quick disconnect" wire connectors. Eventually, i used the same on hers, nice to be able to change/add options in the future , without losing wire each time.

Again - having the AUX group, has made things A LOT easier for these types of projects.

Pulled the AUX group wires, from factory tape:

IMG_5030.JPG

Put the quick disconnect on the power wire; ignition is the pink wire with orange stripe, WHICH IS VERY CLOSE TO THE OTHER WIRE: ORANGE WITH PINK STRIPE. WHY ON EARTH WE WOULD YOU OPPOSITE COLORS WITHIN A WIRE BUNDLE IS BEYOND ME. Had to use a multimeter to determine which wire. SO STUPID
IMG_5031.JPG

Added an in-line fuse to the dashcam. Used a 5A fuse.
IMG_5032.JPG

Made a ground wire with a quick disco:
IMG_5033.JPG

Used the bottom of the 3 nuts, at the passenger footwell:
IMG_5042.JPG

Dashcam kit ready to plugin:
IMG_5035.JPG

Plugged in power:
IMG_5036.JPG

IMG_5043.JPG

Here's how it looked with both power wires:
IMG_5137.JPG

I ran the hardwire kit wires up the right side A-pillar (removed the grab handle) and just tucked up behind the visor trim. Pulled the wires down to the cam in front. The 2nd wire up front is the power wire for the rear camera. That ran from the front cam, down the A-pillar, across the passenger kickplate, up the B-pillar, down the top bar to the rear bar, and over. I found that having the rear cam on the soundbar interfered with the XM receiver.

For the CBs, we went with coolTech - https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-je..._black/71-mopar_tailgate_reinforcement_kit-no

Since we have the hinge gate reinforcement, we wanted to paint the CB mount to have some contrast. Here's how we did this:

Use painters tape on 1 side of the mount:
IMG_5114.JPG

Cut an X in the hole:
IMG_5115.JPG

Put the bolt and washer through:
IMG_5116.JPG

Cut/trace around the washer:
IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_5118.JPG
IMG_5120.JPG

Do the same for the other holes:. i just eyed the bottom antenna hole:
IMG_5121.JPG
IMG_5122.JPG

Used a spare cut dowel for handling and painting:
IMG_5123.JPG

Bungees helped hang dry :)
IMG_5124.JPG

After tape peeled (48hr dry):
IMG_5126.JPG

IMG_5127.JPG

Cut a cross pattern in the rubber grommet and ran the antenna cable through. I basically followed and ziptied the wire hardness all the way to the front.....along side of that harness the entire passenger side. I removed the screw for the sub and pulled everything out a bit.
IMG_5128.JPG
IMG_5129.JPG
IMG_5130.JPG
IMG_5131.JPG
IMG_5132.JPG

I tucked the "brain" to the upper left of the glovebox. I found a spot on top the passenger footwell vent duct:
IMG_5138.JPG

For the mic, we tried something different. Instead of using the supplied hook, we have liked the magnetic options lately, so we continued that. We used the magnetic pad that we used for our phones and attached that do the dash with the supplied double-sided tape:
IMG_5133.JPG

We removed the "clip" on the back of the mic. I drilled a hole in 1 of the supplied magnetic disks and screwed that magnetic disk on the back of the mic:
IMG_5134.JPG
IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_5136.JPG
IMG_5140.JPG

IMG_5146.JPG
IMG_5145.JPG

We're still waiting on the spare for the "Archangel", but i had to deal with the CB mount hitting the spare. As others have done, i extended my spare bumpstops using 1" PVC and stool feet:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SoftTouch-4-Pack-1-1-8-in-Black-Rubber-Tips/3032995

I painted the PVC black and cut about 2" sections (results may vary for your needs)
IMG_5141.JPG
IMG_5142.JPG
IMG_5144.JPG

Dashcam mounted and installed:
IMG_5148.JPG
IMG_5147.JPG

View attachment 219306

IMG_5139.JPG

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Sponsored

Midwesttrekker

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Granite Crystal Ordered 7/19. 2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Sure did! Got the Rhino Rack & Pioneer Platform installed along with an iKamper RTT last Friday in Denver. Did a couple trails Saturday. Winch and air compressor going on this week.

20190824_ColoradoArgentinePass-05.jpg

20190818_ArkansasNewJeep-03.jpg

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sure did! Got the Rhino Rack & Pioneer Platform installed along with an iKamper RTT last Friday in Denver. Did a couple trails Saturday. Winch and air compressor going on this week.

20190824_ColoradoArgentinePass-05.jpg

20190818_ArkansasNewJeep-03.jpg
Awesome, congrats!!

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back from a trail run in Alley Springs, MO, through MidWestJeepThing club. Was a fun (easy) run and fun camping weekend. Here are some shots from the weekend. After seeing all the cool Jeeps, it REALLY makes our front end look naked. Need to start looking into front bumpers. :)

At our campsite:
IMG_5153.JPG

Camping cheating:
IMG_5154.JPG

Little NYTE shot:
IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_5157.JPG
IMG_5158.JPG
IMG_5159.JPG
IMG_5160.JPG
IMG_5161.JPG
IMG_5162.JPG
IMG_5163.JPG
IMG_5165.JPG
IMG_5166.JPG
IMG_5167.JPG
IMG_5168.JPG
IMG_5169.JPG

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Small, but cool mod on this one....i know a few other guys have done it. Thanks to @Tritonman for the idea and tips!!
We replaced the front cig outlet with these quick-charge outlets. The Archangel got the red bezel.

Red - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PP7RLT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Black - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PN5YZX3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used a trim-tool to pull the top ignition button bezel out - it's in with push-tabs.
After that's out, there's a single phillips-head screw holding the bottom bezel panel in. Remove the screw and used your hands to pull the top 2 corners, then the bottom corners. Obviously, unplug stuff.

You are obviously removing the cig outlet. This thing will be trashed, so this is a one-way street, if you decide to do this.

1st - i used a needle-nose pliers and clipped the top and bottom clear tabs of the outlet. The side tab can stay, as there's a notch that will allow it to be pushed through the hole. The screwdriver is pointing to them:
IMG_5221.JPG
IMG_5223.JPG

2nd - I used my Dremel to cut the black ring and clear top-rail off. Cut the same place on both pieces, all the way down the sides. The outward facing side is easy. Then, pull the outlet outwards, to help cut the other side.

IMG_5224.JPG

3rd - Used a small flathead to push the top and bottom tabs (slightly) through the hole. Then just wiggle and push from the back. Should pop out pretty easy.

IMG_5214.JPG

4th - The hole is too small for the new outlets, so used my Dremel grinding stone. Didnt use too much pressure and just went in a circle a few times...going evenly.
IMG_5215.JPG

5th - Install new outlet. When you get the backing nut down the the bottom, the rear mold gets in the way to spin it, in the final couple spins. Used that same flat-head to tighten.
IMG_5216.JPG

6th - Wiring. Used the supplied (inline) fuse - cut that part off the supplied wire and connected that to speaker wire. I had spare speaker wire (16awg), so figured just use that. The speaker wire was 4.5ft long. Final wire, with heat shrink.
IMG_5217.JPG
IMG_5218.JPG

7th - Ran the wire behind the glove box and down to my previously wired ground and AUX ignition wires. For reference, i have 3 devices coming off my AUX ignition (10amp): CB, DashCam & this outlet. All have independent inline fuses off the AUX.

Looks cool and will be better used than a cig outlet.
IMG_5220.JPG
IMG_5219.JPG
IMG_5225.JPG

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Small, but cool mod on this one....i know a few other guys have done it. Thanks to @Tritonman for the idea and tips!!
We replaced the front cig outlet with these quick-charge outlets. The Archangel got the red bezel.

Red - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PP7RLT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Black - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PN5YZX3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used a trim-tool to pull the top ignition button bezel out - it's in with push-tabs.
After that's out, there's a single phillips-head screw holding the bottom bezel panel in. Remove the screw and used your hands to pull the top 2 corners, then the bottom corners. Obviously, unplug stuff.

You are obviously removing the cig outlet. This thing will be trashed, so this is a one-way street, if you decide to do this.

1st - i used a needle-nose pliers and clipped the top and bottom clear tabs of the outlet. The side tab can stay, as there's a notch that will allow it to be pushed through the hole. The screwdriver is pointing to them:
IMG_5221.JPG
IMG_5223.JPG

2nd - I used my Dremel to cut the black ring and clear top-rail off. Cut the same place on both pieces, all the way down the sides. The outward facing side is easy. Then, pull the outlet outwards, to help cut the other side.

IMG_5224.JPG

3rd - Used a small flathead to push the top and bottom tabs (slightly) through the hole. Then just wiggle and push from the back. Should pop out pretty easy.

IMG_5214.JPG

4th - The hole is too small for the new outlets, so used my Dremel grinding stone. Didnt use too much pressure and just went in a circle a few times...going evenly.
IMG_5215.JPG

5th - Install new outlet. When you get the backing nut down the the bottom, the rear mold gets in the way to spin it, in the final couple spins. Used that same flat-head to tighten.
IMG_5216.JPG

6th - Wiring. Used the supplied (inline) fuse - cut that part off the supplied wire and connected that to speaker wire. I had spare speaker wire (16awg), so figured just use that. The speaker wire was 4.5ft long. Final wire, with heat shrink.
IMG_5217.JPG
IMG_5218.JPG

7th - Ran the wire behind the glove box and down to my previously wired ground and AUX ignition wires. For reference, i have 3 devices coming off my AUX ignition (10amp): CB, DashCam & this outlet. All have independent inline fuses off the AUX.

IMG_5220.JPG
IMG_5219.JPG
IMG_5225.JPG
Nicely done! Its like it was meant to be there. :) I ended up doing the same in the rear outlet as well and left it hot all the time. IF you do end up doing it, i would buy the Quadratec wire harness i showed you.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L

IMG_5221.JPG
IMG_5223.JPG

IMG_5224.JPG

IMG_5214.JPG

IMG_5215.JPG

IMG_5216.JPG

IMG_5217.JPG
IMG_5218.JPG

IMG_5220.JPG
IMG_5219.JPG
IMG_5225.JPG

I like what you've done here - a lot, but I don't see the value in it. This is not a criticism - just an observation/question...

Having the factory installed 12v outlet provides options - we can plug in a 12v device or we can insert a very small/short 2 outlet USB plug. The only thing we can't see is the charging but to be honest that info isn't necessary in that location.

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I like what you've done here - a lot, but I don't see the value in it. This is not a criticism - just an observation/question...

Having the factory installed 12v outlet provides options - we can plug in a 12v device or we can insert a very small/short 2 outlet USB plug. The only thing we can't see is the charging but to be honest that info isn't necessary in that location.
I agree...no NEED for the voltage at all, but I thought it looked cool. I do like having a “seamless” looking (protected) additional USB ports here. Cmon....most mods aren’t needed :)

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Had a little snow today; had to take a pic. :)
208E854F-E200-44FE-922A-3BD558346BA4.jpeg
Sponsored