Sponsored

4LO - throttle sensitivity question

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I had a chance to use 4LO over the weekend, stock 2DR auto V6. Halfway up the grade I went from 2wd to 4HI, then 4LO. It seemed to need much more throttle to get up the hill in 4LO vs. 2wd, has anyone else had a similar experience? Computer trying to smooth out the torque multiplication?

It seemed down on power instead of the expected effortless crawl up the hill. Back to normal in 2wd at the top.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I had a chance to use 4LO over the weekend, stock 2DR auto V6. Halfway up the grade I went from 2wd to 4HI, then 4LO. It seemed to need much more throttle to get up the hill in 4LO vs. 2wd, has anyone else had a similar experience? Computer trying to smooth out the torque multiplication?

It seemed down on power instead of the expected effortless crawl up the hill. Back to normal in 2wd at the top.
Your gear ratios are much lower once you put your Jeep into 4LO. It may require more throttle to go up the hill at the same speed as Hi gear but that's not what low gear is for. Your engine has to rev more to get the driveshaft turning at the same rate as it would in high gear.

OP
OP
EDH_JL

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, that makes sense. The 4LO in my F150 seemed more sensitive so I just wanted to ask.
Sponsored