Sponsored

Black diamond soft top vs. Twill?

Pauliegirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Not sure which to buy - looking to get a Bestop for my 4 door Sahara JL. Black diamond material is about $900, but the twill version is $1300. Is there a huge difference in look? Just don't know if it's worth paying $400 more....any thoughts? Thx!
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
It is better looking (looks more black), and it's also considerably thicker. Better for insulation against sound and temp. Here's a video from Bestop (company that makes Jeep factory soft top) that describes it well...

OP
OP

Pauliegirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is better looking (looks more black), and it's also considerably thicker. Better for insulation against sound and temp. Here's a video from Bestop (company that makes Jeep factory soft top) that describes it well...

Thanks. Looks great. I live in CT so I only need it for summertime. Is the black diamond version pretty thin/flimsy then?

Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
You want Twill. They sent me a black diamond for my JK from Bestop on accident one time. They then sent me the correct top. The difference is massive. Twill doesn't sweat through if there's water sitting on it over night from rain, it is a much more snug fit, it looks better, and you don't get the heat or cold bleed (when you can feel it radiating through after sitting) that you do from black diamond. Plus, twill is an all around better fabric.

Lil Punk'n

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
The twill is way to go, better warranty. Ours is supposed to ship on 18th .

OP
OP

Pauliegirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You want Twill. They sent me a black diamond for my JK from Bestop on accident one time. They then sent me the correct top. The difference is massive. Twill doesn't sweat through if there's water sitting on it over night from rain, it is a much more snug fit, it looks better, and you don't get the heat or cold bleed (when you can feel it radiating through after sitting) that you do from black diamond. Plus, twill is an all around better fabric.
Thanks for explaining why twill is better- much appreciated

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for explaining why twill is better- much appreciated
I almost forgot. Twill also is a bit more structurally sound looking. I'm not sure how to describe it better than that, but it seems as if it has fewer issues with things like sagging, or looking like it's getting marks in it, etc. Black Diamond will also get a bit of a stretched look to it when it has water sitting on it overnight and it sags downward. It will go back, but my twill never did that.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
You must be looking at the fastback top.for that price. I don't care for it, it doesn't open all the way like the factory top. Just flips open like the sunrider for hard top, half way.

Sponsored

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
The twill is way to go, better warranty. Ours is supposed to ship on 18th .
How do you know the ship date? I haven't received any emails from them myself since ordering other than confirmation.

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
At the price point you listed that sounds like just the top itself and not the framing to retract the top. Unless thatā€™s just what you want. The twill is true black, black diamond is more of a dark gray, especially overtime. Twill has a canvas feel, black diamond a plastic feel. Twill is supposedly quieter and retains inside temp better (havenā€™t noticed myself). Twill can be a little harder to clean very fine dust that gets in, but it does wash out. I went with Twill, but my Jeep is also black.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
At the price point you listed that sounds like just the top itself and not the framing to retract the top. Unless thatā€™s just what you want. The twill is true black, black diamond is more of a dark gray, especially overtime. Twill has a canvas feel, black diamond a plastic feel. Twill is supposedly quieter and retains inside temp better (havenā€™t noticed myself). Twill can be a little harder to clean very fine dust that gets in, but it does wash out. I went with Twill, but my Jeep is also black.
It's the pricing on the Trektop NX.

https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2018/wrangler-jl/all-new-trektop-nx-soft-top/door/4/

Lil Punk'n

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
How do you know the ship date? I haven't received any emails from them myself since ordering other than confirmation.
Who did you order from ?
Sponsored