Sliders / Step sides / Rock rails

gtscott22

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JlU Rubicon, 1999 Jeep TJ Sport
Just got my 2019 JLUR and plan on replacing stock rubicon rock rails. Some things im considering are the look the stock rails meaning i like the slim look how it goes along with the profile of the body not taking away too much clearence but would like to add some sort of step. Now my ideal new set would be the length of the stock ones as well as not adding too much bulkiness (no drop down steps or steps that extend outward too far) but offer a slight ledge just for stepping on. I prefer sticking to main brands as well as holding up strength and look any suggestions are appriciated.
Sponsored

TexasJeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubi 392 on order
I know ppl are going to say i'm a meanie for saying this. But, there are literally a dozen threads on this, some with like 60 pages. It depends on what you really want to. More of a step, more of a rock rail for wheeling, super close to body or hands out a bit more. Cost is also all over the board, between a few hundred to $2k.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I know ppl are going to say i'm a meanie for saying this. But, there are literally a dozen threads on this, some with like 60 pages. It depends on what you really want to. More of a step, more of a rock rail for wheeling, super close to body or hands out a bit more. Cost is also all over the board, between a few hundred to $2k.
Agree. There’s even a sticky thread ...

65ED8A39-EB19-48E8-8936-8FB48B538979.jpeg

TexasJeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubi 392 on order
I'm going with the Roam rock rails which, for me anyways, offered a good mix of good things. You could even go with the Mopar performance rails if you don't plan of banging them on rocks alot, although kinda expensive for what they are, IMO.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gtscott22

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JlU Rubicon, 1999 Jeep TJ Sport
Agree. There’s even a sticky thread ...

65ED8A39-EB19-48E8-8936-8FB48B538979.jpeg
Obviously ive seen a million post about rock rails and step sides but none that helped me make a decision or i wouldnt of asked. Just skip past or thumb down if you dont want to see another post instead of wasting both our time. And thanks to the two people who mention roam rails i actually havent seen those yet so yes it was worth me posting.

Endeego

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Mojito!); 2015 Ducati Diavel (carbon red); Volvo XC90
Occupation
Shepherd
I've ordered the Roam rock rails. To me they just look the best, and with the frame mounted functionality, none of the other options compared for me.

ColoJLRubi -- great looking Jeep!

ArmyJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Own a JLURubicon
Occupation
Retired US Army
I too have been through all the pages and understand your frustration...I have a JLURubicon also and want a combination rocker guard, step and rail but I want the rail to cover the entire length of the body between the tire wells.

Rugged Ridge XHD Rock Sliders checks most of those blocks but leaves a little body in the front wheel well exposed. (1st pic)

I also like the ROAM JL Side Steps/Rock Rails (2nd pic) but would like to add a pair of Rocker Guards (3rd pic) to the ROAM but not sure if it is possible even though there are no nutserts below the rail. Can ROAM add a Step/rocker guard combination option?

If ROAM, Rugged Ridge and others could put more pictures of their products with various angles online it would be much appreciated.

Products for the JL are still in design and I am hoping someone checks all those blocks soon...

upload_2019-2-16_8-5-48.png

upload_2019-2-16_8-12-44.png

upload_2019-2-16_8-14-19.png

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
To your original question. I like the Ace engineering Rock Rails. I like the simple, utilitarian design, and they allow you to keep the original Rubicon sliders which hide the ugly lower pinch weld. The only issue with them (and several other choices) is the potential of breaking a body bolt during the installation process.

Just a suggestion to try to keep within general forum behavior; Maybe if you’d prefaced your question with “I’ve looked thru all the existing threads on sliders, but I’d still like people’s opinions on which ones meet my needs...” or something like that we could have avoided some of the other responses.
3ADF586D-EE83-4A38-92F7-9263FA455A96.jpeg
32B045C2-F7C3-432D-899C-83900BB83D65.jpeg
997315EE-DAA7-477F-9A56-19F5E72D6CA3.jpeg
41B4387F-4364-46F4-BBE4-CEC1D49D7866.jpeg

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I have looked at (read the threads) on the ROAM, LOD and ACE products. I was heavily leaning towards the ROAM but it sounds like they are a bit overwhelmed with the amount of orders they are getting. I also think I read they are newer to the game and some (maybe only early on) had quality issues with the coating. I went with ACE. They seem to have their stuff together and I have not seen anyone post negative comments after the first batch where a portion needed to be grinded on some vehicles.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You guys with the ROAM rails/steps: are they actual rock sliders or more of a step? I like the look and functionality, but didnt know if i could use it as a slider/bouncer.

DezertTitan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Railroader
Vehicle Showcase
You guys with the ROAM rails/steps: are they actual rock sliders or more of a step? I like the look and functionality, but didnt know if i could use it as a slider/bouncer.
I second this question. Need something functional for my rubicon, but I’m a short guy with a bad knee. Also - how far out does that stick? My work trucks have running boards which stick out so far that you kinda have to use them to get in. Id prefer a good slim spot with good grip for my foot

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
I have looked at (read the threads) on the ROAM, LOD and ACE products. I was heavily leaning towards the ROAM but it sounds like they are a bit overwhelmed with the amount of orders they are getting. I also think I read they are newer to the game and some (maybe only early on) had quality issues with the coating. I went with ACE. They seem to have their stuff together and I have not seen anyone post negative comments after the first batch where a portion needed to be grinded on some vehicles.
I ordered my roam steps Friday night and they shipped today. FWIW I was expecting a delay based on what I have been reading so maybe I lucked out.
Sponsored