Freddiejeep

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
I'm scheduled to take my wife's JL Sport in next week. I'll let you know if there is a problem or other information I can provide to help you get your calibration done.
I ended up ordering the tazer....talked with the dealer and they said it’s totally fine. Funny enough he said i was the first one they had ever had to ask about getting this done through the dealer. Sigh.
Sponsored

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I ended up ordering the tazer....talked with the dealer and they said it’s totally fine. Funny enough he said i was the first one they had ever had to ask about getting this done through the dealer. Sigh.
You know...I wanted to get the Tazer as well and my dealer said that it would likely cause any warranty claims related to the computer systems to be voided. This is always a tough subject for those of us who want to make modifications. While they have to prove that the modification caused the failure, they usually just hold everything up until we (the little people) give up.

I'm sure the Tazer will work out great for you. it's an awesome device. I will likely be adding it as well once mine is a year old. I'm waiting just to make sure nothing weird happens with the computer systems. I figure by that time just about everything is stable.

Rubicon29527

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKURHR
If my dealership told me something like that I would probably kick them in the nuts. My Rubicon just had a bad actuator in rear axle with 22000 miles. I have a 2.5 RK lift with 37s and use a tazer that they are aware of. They also knew that there were problems with actuators. They replaced entire rear axle no questions asked. You have to have a good relationship with your service manager

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
If my dealership told me something like that I would probably kick them in the nuts. My Rubicon just had a bad actuator in rear axle with 22000 miles. I have a 2.5 RK lift with 37s and use a tazer that they are aware of. They also knew that there were problems with actuators. They replaced entire rear axle no questions asked. You have to have a good relationship with your service manager
I have to agree here. A hard kick to the nutsack with my steel toed boots always seems to get my service managers attention. I always tip a 20 after the kick so they dont take it personally.

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just ask yourself: how could the vehicle recalibrate?

A closed feedback loop using gps positional data to determine distance elapsed over wheel revolution counter? I don’t think so. Although the wrangler could do that, as it has both revolution counters and GPS positional data, both information streams tipically lay in complete separate subsystems and share no data between them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Freddiejeep

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
Today I’ve installed the tazer. See ya dealer. . Last thing I’ll say is BOTH dealers here in Nashville have told me that Chrysler is now telling them that the customer must purchase the “software” for the rights to use it ($150) with an additional $150 to the dealer for install. .

OP
OP
Freddiejeep

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
You know...I wanted to get the Tazer as well and my dealer said that it would likely cause any warranty claims related to the computer systems to be voided. This is always a tough subject for those of us who want to make modifications. While they have to prove that the modification caused the failure, they usually just hold everything up until we (the little people) give up.

I'm sure the Tazer will work out great for you. it's an awesome device. I will likely be adding it as well once mine is a year old. I'm waiting just to make sure nothing weird happens with the computer systems. I figure by that time just about everything is stable.
I think you’d be fine. Just unmarry it when you take it in for a claim. Both dealers I spoke to said they could care less if the Tazer was installed. Just find a new dealer.

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I think you’d be fine. Just unmarry it when you take it in for a claim. Both dealers I spoke to said they could care less if the Tazer was installed. Just find a new dealer.
Yes. That was my plan. However, the system does keep a flash count. But the real solution is like others say...find the right dealer. Mine just likes to say stupid stuff like that so I've been searching for another one. I don't need a warranty claim denied because they don't know how these things work. Frustrating to say the least.

OP
OP
Freddiejeep

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
Yes. That was my plan. However, the system does keep a flash count. But the real solution is like others say...find the right dealer. Mine just likes to say stupid stuff like that so I've been searching for another one. I don't need a warranty claim denied because they don't know how these things work. Frustrating to say the least.
Totally. I finally installed it yesterday and it was seamless. ;). Whatever your decision I’m sure you’ll make the right one ☝

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I recently put some Sahara wheel/tires on my Rubicon. I expected the speedo to run high (Circumference of Sahara wheel/tire combo is 2% smaller, so speedo/odo reading should be 2% high), so I pulled out my Garmin GPS and monitored it on a 240 mile round trip. Speed was exact, and ODO matched. Garmin most certainly not plugged into the jeep. So how should I interpret this: 1. My jeep self calibrated (I do have the GPS option on the jeep, but I was pretty sure this was BS) or 2. My jeep was poorly calibrated with the stock tires on it, and it is just coincidence that it matches now?

Thoughts?

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I recently put some Sahara wheel/tires on my Rubicon. I expected the speedo to run high (Circumference of Sahara wheel/tire combo is 2% smaller, so speedo/odo reading should be 2% high), so I pulled out my Garmin GPS and monitored it on a 240 mile round trip. Speed was exact, and ODO matched. Garmin most certainly not plugged into the jeep. So how should I interpret this: 1. My jeep self calibrated (I do have the GPS option on the jeep, but I was pretty sure this was BS) or 2. My jeep was poorly calibrated with the stock tires on it, and it is just coincidence that it matches now?

Thoughts?
There is no self-calibration tire feature on the Wrangler. This doesn't exist. Period.

I'm not familiar with the Sahara tires, but seeing as how they're not BFGs, they're probably closer to their true size than the KO2s are. All BFG tires are at least an inch shorter than their rated size when mounted. Even though the Rubicon is advertised as coming with 33s, they're closer to 31.5" and the computer in the Rubicon is actually programmed to account for this. So, the difference between the Sahara's 265s (correct me if I'm wrong on this size) vs. your KO2s is just a hair over an inch. That won't make a huge difference with the speedometer, but it'll still be off just a smidge.

OP
OP
Freddiejeep

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0

Thoughts?
Wait....you put Sahara tires on your rubi?

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Wait....you put Sahara tires on your rubi?
Yes, for long trips on paved highways where fun off-road opportunities are not waiting for me on the other side. I will put the KO2s back on for trail rides and winter. The HTs really do outperform the KO2s on the highway. I guess that's not too surprising. When the 33's are worn out when the Jeep hits 60k miles, I'll probably get some 35s for the trails, but until then, I'll stick with the 4/5 trails.

There is no self-calibration tire feature on the Wrangler. This doesn't exist. Period.

I'm not familiar with the Sahara tires, but seeing as how they're not BFGs, they're probably closer to their true size than the KO2s are. All BFG tires are at least an inch shorter than their rated size when mounted. Even though the Rubicon is advertised as coming with 33s, they're closer to 31.5" and the computer in the Rubicon is actually programmed to account for this. So, the difference between the Sahara's 265s (correct me if I'm wrong on this size) vs. your KO2s is just a hair over an inch. That won't make a huge difference with the speedometer, but it'll still be off just a smidge.
I did a rollout test to determine the 2% difference. 2% difference should show 1.4 mph off at 70 mph true, and over 240 miles true, it should have shown that I'd gone 244.8. I also didn't think the self calibration existed, which is why I wanted to find out how far off the speed/odo were, and I got confused when it tracked to the within .1 miles of my GPS (which wasn't connected to the jeep in any way). I take it from your answer that you feel that I should interpret it as coincidence or that it was not calibrated properly to the 33s.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I take it from your answer that you feel that I should interpret it as coincidence or that it was not calibrated properly to the 33s.
Nah, your Jeep would be properly calibrated to the true, mounted physical size of the OEM tires that aren't truly 33" tall. It's not a Jeep thing, it's a BFG thing. It's just how BFG tires are and have been for forever. I'm running 37" KM3s on my Rubicon, but they only measure 35.5".
Sponsored