93 Octane! I like it!

PizzaFreak

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue 2 door JL
My new Jeep has around 1500 miles on it so far. My first fill ,Costco had the 93 for the same price as the 87. So I thought why not. It was the same on the next fill. I guess I got used to it because I tried the 87 for one fill and hated it. I thought the difference in the way the Jeep ran was huge. I have run 93 ever since. Anyone else experience this, or am I just imagining it?
Sponsored

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Is this the 4 or 6 cyl?

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The 3.6L loves higher octane too. Over the past five years and three 3.6L engines in three separate FCA vehicles, I've seen good results in smoothness, power, and fuel efficiency with higher octane fuels. Today's smarter ECUs will adjust VVT and take advantage of whatever you put in the tank.

In short: Just because the Pentastar will run fine on 87, that doesn't mean that it won't run better on 91 or 93.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
The 3.6L loves higher octane too. Over the past five years and three 3.6L engines in three separate FCA vehicles, I've seen good results in smoothness, power, and fuel efficiency with higher octane fuels. Today's smarter ECUs will adjust VVT and take advantage of whatever you put in the tank.

In short: Just because the Pentastar will run fine on 87, that doesn't mean that it won't run better on 91 or 93.
You would need to see datalogs to truly see what is going on. The buttdyno is not good enough.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon

Over the past 22K miles in my JLUR i have found that I average 2 to 2.5 miles per gallon better fuel economy than if I run 93 vs 87. After a dealer tune up at 20K miles....the results are slightly lower...1.8 to 2.2 but still better. However the responsiveness, especially in cold weather is far better. So for me it depends on the cost of fuel that day. Quick math if 87 is $3.25 and I get 16 miles /gal. = $0.2 and if 93 is at $3.50 this would yield $0.19 so better to get 93 as long as the cost/mile is less. For me the other benefits would even have me go a bit beyond the equal point but the starting price of fuel can make a difference. When gas is more expensive the cost of using 93 is even better. Its not until gas prices are low that 87 wins out...but here in CA I haven't seen prices that low in a long time.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
My new Jeep has around 1500 miles on it so far. My first fill ,Costco had the 93 for the same price as the 87. So I thought why not. It was the same on the next fill. I guess I got used to it because I tried the 87 for one fill and hated it. I thought the difference in the way the Jeep ran was huge. I have run 93 ever since. Anyone else experience this, or am I just imagining it?
I did the exact same thing. 93 octane (Costco) engine seems to perform better. Not sure if that true but I’ll roll

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You would need to see datalogs to truly see what is going on. The buttdyno is not good enough.
Give up trying to convince some people that they are getting more power or better mpg with higher octane for the 3.6 or the people with the 2.0 getting same power and mileage on 87 instead of 91/93. They think without controlled conditions to accurately determine those factors they can tell the difference. Their butts have degrees in engineering.

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Over the past 22K miles in my JLUR i have found that I average 2 to 2.5 miles per gallon better fuel economy than if I run 93 vs 87. After a dealer tune up at 20K miles....the results are slightly lower...1.8 to 2.2 but still better. However the responsiveness, especially in cold weather is far better. So for me it depends on the cost of fuel that day. Quick math if 87 is $3.25 and I get 16 miles /gal. = $0.2 and if 93 is at $3.50 this would yield $0.19 so better to get 93 as long as the cost/mile is less. For me the other benefits would even have me go a bit beyond the equal point but the starting price of fuel can make a difference. When gas is more expensive the cost of using 93 is even better. Its not until gas prices are low that 87 wins out...but here in CA I haven't seen prices that low in a long time.
15% increase in mileage with higher octane?
In a 4 door with oversized tires?
It's a miracle.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Give up trying to convince some people that they are getting more power or better mpg with higher octane for the 3.6 or the people with the 2.0 getting same power and mileage on 87 instead of 91/93. They think without controlled conditions to accurately determine those factors they can tell the difference. Their butts have degrees in engineering.
Lol. I have a doctorate in buttdynoist.

I have tuned myself or worked with a licensed tuner to tune my vehicles many times. You can think your car is running great or “better” and then you look at the logs and you realize your wrong. One car for example kept pulling timing and reducing power on the top end. I thought it was gas quality. It ended up being false knock created by a bolt on my exhaust that radiated through my exhaust and triggered a sensor. There isn’t a person on this forum that could sense that.

And don’t start comparing gas mileage by 1-1.5 miles. That can be a factor of wind, temperature. Too many factors to list.

Are there any engine tuners in here that want to share a word?

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I dont think I have more power with 93.
It just feels smoother and the rattle hiccup quick cough on acceleration is gone.

Now... my brakes are squeaking with only 6000 miles on them so thats a different story.
Sponsored