Android Auto Maps Voice Lost

Mad Beach

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Anyone else have this ? Android Auto worked perfectly fine for couple months after purchase, then one day on a trip, the voice for directions just lowered to a volume you can not hear. I did not adjust any settings. The commands do come on and the radio volume goes down, but the voice assistant is like a whisper. I have googled and searched all settings and can't fix this.
Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else have this ? Android Auto worked perfectly fine for couple months after purchase, then one day on a trip, the voice for directions just lowered to a volume you can not hear. I did not adjust any settings. The commands do come on and the radio volume goes down, but the voice assistant is like a whisper. I have googled and searched all settings and can't fix this.
Might try resetting uconnect:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steps-on-how-to-reset-jl-uconnect-4-system.3201/

Also battery saver mode on your phone will cause problems with UConnect.
Finally, make sure your compass is working. If it's not showing direction, UConnect navigation doesn't work - at least for me.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I am assuming from your Android Auto reference that you are using Google Maps for directions through Android Auto, although you could be using Waze, as well, so at least my first couple of suggestions might still apply.

Just spit-balling a few ideas, just in case you haven't thought of one or more:
  • Did you try adjusting the volume up while the voice over for maps is actually speaking? You might be able to adjust it back up that way...but Maps voice over must be speaking while you are actively adjusting, or it will adjust a different channel.
  • My Samsung phone has multiple output channels, as well, so I'm sure most Androids do, too...check and make sure your volumes are up on all channels on the phone (not sure whether that goes out under Notification or System or what, or even if it actually adjusts volume on Android Auto out of the head--but worth a try).
  • There is Guidance volume adjustment in Google Maps under Navigation Settings, Sound & voice on your phone...that may also impact volume over Android Auto, I am not sure. But Google updates on apps have been known to reset settings, so Google may have adjusted the volume down for you inadvertently.
Likely you've thought of these, but hoping there's an off-chance one of them might be successful.

Good Luck!

Mike

OP
OP
Mad Beach

Mad Beach

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I want to tip my hat to the MIKE. You may have spit-balled, but first idea was the one ! I consider myself fairly techy and did not think of the volume control. Kept thinking it was an app setting. I am guessing that a passenger, wife ! , turned down stereo right when a voice assistant came on. Anyway good thinking and thank you.

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
I want to tip my hat to the MIKE. You may have spit-balled, but first idea was the one ! I consider myself fairly techy and did not think of the volume control. Kept thinking it was an app setting. I am guessing that a passenger, wife ! , turned down stereo right when a voice assistant came on. Anyway good thinking and thank you.
I know this is an older thread but it helped me with Apple Car Play and Waze. Same issue. I thought my speakers were going out as they would mute on the left channel. It didn't occur to me right away that I wasn't hearing the directions. Once I realized it I tried messing with settings, tried to change settings in Waze, nothing work. After reading this I waited until the pause and then turned the volume up and it low and behold the directions volume went up and I could hear the directions.

It's stupid that they don't have this visible in the Uconnect UI somewhere. In my wife's car with a Pioneer head unit, when she turns the volume up it shows both the music and voice directions volumes and you can choose which one to change.
Sponsored