Sponsored

Android Auto not auto-switching between dark/light maps?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I have a 2021 JLU Sahara w/ the 8.4-inch Uconnect package, and a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G.

On my wife's 2021 Lexus RX350, the maps will automatically switch to "dark mode" at night, and it *seems* to be triggered by a sensor on the car somewhere.

On my Jeep, it *seems* like it will only automatically switch to "dark mode" at night IF I was already connected during the daylight (i.e. on a road trip or something). If I plug in fresh when it's already dark outside, I'll still get the white maps, and I have to manually go to the Android Auto settings (within Android Auto, not a setting in Uconnect) to force it to dark mode. Otherwise I'm blinded by the damn screen.

Anyone experiencing this, or have a suggested solution? It's *really* obnoxious.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Some things to try:
  • Make sure your interior light dimmer isn't set to all the way up.
  • Confirm what is setting dark mode. It can be set to the phone or car. You can find this in the developer settings of the Android Auto app on your phone.
    • To access developer settings in the Android Auto app, go to settings and repeatedly tap the Version field until a developer settings popup appears.
  • Once you know what device is setting dark mode you can narrow down what you need to look at, or change whether it is set by phone or car.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@Reinen - thanks for this. I did some testing and *finally* confirmed what it was.

The interior light dimmer has 3 "settings":
1. All the way up (no "clicks")
2. 1 click - not sure what this does, exactly
3. 2 clicks - this forces the interior lights to stay on

Turns out this dimmer wheel needs to be on #1 in order for Android Auto to automatically switch maps.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
@Reinen - thanks for this. I did some testing and *finally* confirmed what it was.

The interior light dimmer has 3 "settings":
1. All the way up (no "clicks")
2. 1 click - not sure what this does, exactly
3. 2 clicks - this forces the interior lights to stay on

Turns out this dimmer wheel needs to be on #1 in order for Android Auto to automatically switch maps.
The manual doesn't even mention the "clicks", as if they don't exist. But it looks like you found what 1 click does, keeps Android Auto in Daytime Mode.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The manual doesn't even mention the "clicks", as if they don't exist. But it looks like you found what 1 click does, keeps Android Auto in Daytime Mode.
Haha, yeah but surely it exists for some other purpose!

What's also interesting is that it CAN be overridden - I had it on 1 click, in the daytime, and went through a dark tunnel/underpass, and it briefly switched to dark mode, lol.
Sponsored