First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
For those wanting to flat tow a Jeep Wrangler behind a motorhome, here's a summary of how we set up our new Wrangler JLU Sahara.

With more than 50K miles of flat-tow experience with our last car, a 2008 Honda CR-V, I wanted a flat-tow setup that was easy on my back and took minimal prep and connect time without impacting the Jeep's off-road capabilities.

We replaced the OEM front bumper with a heavy gauge aluminum bumper weighing only 37 lbs, offsetting the added weight of a winch for off-roading. The Rock Hard bumper we choose was available with BlueOx tow bar connection points that bolt directly to the front end of the frame with grade 8 bolts.

We migrated our AirForce One auxiliary brake system from our CR-V to the Jeep. It requires the connection of a quick-connect air-line and a carabiner connected to the emergency break-away system. These are both located on the face of the bumper, between the left side D-ring and license plate.

On the right side face of the bumper, between the D-ring and license plate, is our electrical connection for the brake and tail lights. Our CoolTech wire harness for the lighting system uses the Jeeps LED tail lights but does not draw any electrical power from the Jeep's battery. A switch toggles the lights between a direct connection to the motorhome's lighting harness and using the Jeep's lighting when being driven. No diodes, secondary bulbs or add-on lights required - just flip a toggle switch.

Pre-tow preparation of the Jeep is super fast and easy. Its auto transmission goes into park, the transfer case shifts to neutral and the ignition is turned off. This uses zero electrical power from the Jeep and you could tow it like this for months on end, without touching a thing.

I love it. No more bending down onto one knee for connections when my back is acting up or when the ground is wet or rough gravel and I have yet to find a faster and easier set-up and connection system.

F_bumper_close_left.jpg

F_bumper_close_right.jpg

F_bumper_full_right.jpg

F_bumper_full_left.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL Flat-tow Set-up {filename}

Image Notes:
The image with the flipped up D-ring shows the location of the emergency break-away connection.

Anti-rattle isolators are installed on both D-rings to prevent potential rattles while driving on rough roads.

UV safe cable ties ensure the D_ring bolts cannot vibrate loose.

The tow-bar attachment points, below and beside the D-rings, are for a BlueOx system. Similar adapters are also available for RoadMaster and Demco tow bars.
Sponsored

Last edited:

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
While Rock hard makes a great bumper from what I have learned this is not a good solution. Keep in mind the bumper has Nothing to do with the towing other than light and brake connections. I ordered this same bumper for the purpose of towing and after learning of the issues I canceled the order just prior to shipping.

The problem with this is the 4 bolts that attached each side of the bumper to the Jeeps frame is attached to a welded thin gauge face-plate in the front of the Jeeps frame. This design is problematic two fold:

The tow bracket only attaches to the two lower frame bolts which puts un-even stress on that plate and welds, so during pulling and braking all the pressure is on the lite gauge steel frame face plate not the actual Jeep linear frame. No part of that bracket is actually backed by the Jeeps tubular frame just the bottom flange of the faceplate. With contact pushing and pulling of a 5000lb TOAD myself and others were very concerned with the long term integrity of the Jeeps frame faceplate. When I say other that includes Jeep them selves, the tow bar manufacture and two large RV service centers that specialized in TOAD hardware installations.

Below is that frame plate I am referring to as you can see the attachment points are offset from the Jeep frame so again all the weight of the jeep and tow pressure points are on one half of the frame plate. I am not sure what Rockhard was thinking when they designed this. At the very least they should have designed a tow brackets that attached to all 4 frame plate bolts with the bar attachment in the middle of the tubular frame.

Also pictured above is what I decided to use. That is the actual Blue Ox approved tow plate that attaches to three point on each side the side of the frames. As you can see the tow plate (bar connection) is only 4" below the bottom bolt of the frame so there is is no approach loss compared to say the Rockhard bumper Infact may a slight gain). However I am not a serious rock crawler whereas this would be a likely issue, however the Aluminum Rock Hard Bumper is also not common equipment for a serious rock crawler.

I too added a aftermarket bumper for the ability of having a winch and thu-bumper connections, I opted for the Barricade Aluminum bumper (to keep weight down) and the tow bar manufacture recommended tow plate. This way I know especially from a liability perspective I have set the towing system up according to their specifications.

One final note: Notice how my D-ring brackets attached via all 4 frame bolts this is how Rock Hard should have done it IMO, however of all the bumper manufactures only Rock Hard and LOD allow for a tow connection directly to the bumpers, all the others said they do not authorize that use and they do not recommend towing directly off a bumper. Towing safety is serious business for me there were just too many tow industry nay sayers that were against bumper towing that I was not willing to take that risk especially since the Jeep JLU is so close to maximum tow weight as it is. This is my opinion based on the research I did that is not to say that bumper towing is not feasable it was just not recommended by may industry pro's. Aesthetically I would prefer not having the visible tow plate but safety is first and foremost.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
One of the great things about Jeep mods is that we can each choose the path and parts that make the most sense to us.

I am very pleased with the quality of my Rock hard system and their workmanship and I have zero concerns about the bumper or its attachment method being suitable. Stress on the front bumper from winch usage is far greater than that resulting from towing and Rock hard has a good reputation even among those winching. it should also be noted that a baseplate that bolts onto the side of the frame subjects the bolts to shear stress which is 60% less than strength when pulled straight on.

On the other hand, I had a BlueOx system, complete with their base plate, on my prior tow car, a Honda CR-V. In the summer of 2017 a lady ran a stop sign and we t-boned her in the passenger zone. The impact and damage to her car, a Honda Civic, was not that great and resulted in only $800 of damage. Our car was much different, however, mostly in respect to the base plate. With only $800 in damage, much of that being paint, you can understand that the impact was not great but yet the BlueOx base plate bent and had to be replaced. I totally lost all confidence in the durability of their products. That leads to another advantage of this tow assembly in that in a couple of years, when the BlueOx tow bar is worn out at its rated 80K miles, I can swap out the adapter plates and change to a better brand of tow bar.

As for other manufacturers no recommending towing, that is an entirely different matter as they do not provide a direct connection to the frame. Folks using those bumpers must connect to the bumpers D-ring points leaving them no viable location for connecting safety cables. these are a very different animal and it is misleading to compare them to the Rock hard system.

but, as I said earlier, we are free to choose the system that makes sense for us and our individual needs. I trust you will be pleased with the performance of your system.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Let me say Rock Hard makes a great bumper....

Look I was just relaying my discoveries and frankly it does not take a rocket scientist to see the issues I described, whereas Jeep and the Tow bar manufactures warn against direct bumper connection as do most bumper manufactures. As for all the other bumper manufactures they simply do not want the liability there is nothing special about the Rock Hard or LOD bumper that makes it any better for towing, they simply are willing to take the risk and liability. Actually you can install any bumper that has thru-bolt connections and for $80 buy the Rock Hard tow bar connector. My question will the Thin Jeep frame end plate hold up over time since it is the weakest ling in the towing system. Only time will tell. I was only putting out there my findings. Like I said I ordered the exact same bumper as you did.

I think about the Class 4 receiver on the RV which is a heavy duty hitch receiver including all the attachment points, then on the TOAD side you are attached to a thin welded plate on the end of the frame, there is material a in-balance there whereas clearly the jeep frame plate was not engineered for towing off of.

I was a little dissapointed in Rock Hard as that bumper was a in stock item and when I canceled my order prior to shipping (2 days after ordering) they tried to charge me a 25% restocking fee which I thought was absurd. I would have kept the bumper and installed it with the tow bar however the bumper height is too much and would not have fit with the tow plate since it actually sits lower then the Blue OX tow Plate.

You are right to each their own this is just another perspective.

zjaw

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep rubacon
I have over 10,000 miles pulling my JL with Rock Hard bumper and have had no problems at all. If you don't go off road much a base plate should work fine.

Sponsored

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
I thought Rockhard towing attachment points are directly to the frame with the bumper just in the middle. So your not towing off the bumper. I just ordered my 2 door JL specifically to flat tow, I have flat towed many thousands of miles with 2 other vehicles
including Alaska and 48 other states. I have not ordered anything yet but will use my sterling tow bar.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I thought Rockhard towing attachment points are directly to the frame with the bumper just in the middle. So your not towing off the bumper. I just ordered my 2 door JL specifically to flat tow, I have flat towed many thousands of miles with 2 other vehicles
including Alaska and 48 other states. I have not ordered anything yet but will use my sterling tow bar.
Yes, the tow points bolt directly to the Jeep's frame, sandwiching the bumper in the middle. Spacers are also used, inside the bumper, to alleviate and crush zones that might otherwise be caused by voids in the space between the bumper face and frame.

Though some critics have voiced that the frame end is not a good attachment point, it is this same frame end that many reputable bumper manufacturers rely upon for attachment, including winch applications that provide many times more stress than flat towing. I looked at all the alternatives and I believe this to be the best option for flat towing, though not the cheapest.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
I spoke with and met the people at Rockhard 4x4. Their Patriot Aluminum bumpers are Specifically Designed for Flat Towing.
These are not arbitrary attachments to the frame but Engineered Attachments for a Specific Purpose
I have a Blue Ox baseplate on my Saturn Vue hybrid and its lovely.
My JL is s bit heavier and will serve a great purpose.
My new bumper is also designed to accommodate and support a 12,000 winch, 3 times the weight of the JL.
My Warn is only 10,000 and I'm confident that it will hold up.
The biggest and most critical flat towing properties is the tow bar angle and the supplemental braking system.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The guys at Rock Hard are certainly responsive and concerned about their customers.

I send in a post-purchase request for information on the grade of bolts supplied with the bumper for the tow connections. I got a phone call a couple of days later from the President of the company to answer my questions.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
On the Rock Hard It only bolts to the two bottom bolts to the frame plate which puts all the push pull pressure on one side (bottom) of the frame plate. Note you are NOT bolting directly to the frame (like a Tow plate) but you are attaching to a light gauge face plate that is welded to the Jeeps frame. Of all the bumper manufacture only two will authorize bumper connections for towing those are LOD and Rock Hard, whereas all the other do not endorse it, neither does Jeep, the Tow bar manufactures or two of the Rv shops I talked to that set RV's and TOADS up for towing.

The LOD Bumper uses their Welded on Tow bar mounts so the tow point is not even directly attached to the frame face plate.

LOD and Rock Hard are fine reputable bumper manufactures however they are not in the business of towing equipment like the tow bar manufactures, They are small custom fabricators for off road vehicles. I prefer rely heavily on their recommendations which is the use of a approved tow plate attached directly to the frame.
The guys at Rock Hard are certainly responsive and concerned about their customers.

I send in a post-purchase request for information on the grade of bolts supplied with the bumper for the tow connections. I got a phone call a couple of days later from the President of the company to answer my questions.
The Rock Hard Bumper has NOTHING to do with the towing attachment the only component is the small $80 two bolt bracket, the bumper itself is not engineered for towing if anything the bracket alone is. You could use that bracket on any brand of thu bolt bumper. I think the Rock hard Bumpers them selves are great, it is just the bracketed two bar attachment that concerns me.

My over all point is pictured below is the towing bracket attached only to the two lower bolts to the Jeep frame plate

Here is a tow plate attached directly to the frame as you can see it is attached in three locations directly to the frame, it also has a very heavy duty safety cable attached as well for redundent security.

Not taking anything away from Rock Hard, however I am not sure that they are towing aficionados seeing how the only towing related items the manufacture is that little two bolt bracket above.

I too would have preferred to use the bumper connection for me I was not willing to go against the tow bar manufacture and Jeeps recommendations, towing 5000lbs I do not want to leave anything to chance.

Sponsored

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Sent a link to this thread from Jeeper on our FB page.

Everyone can rest assured. We have been towing from the frame of JK's since 2007 with ZERO failures.

We tow our own company rigs in this way and do so with confidence. Remember that the factory Rubicon and Recon/Hard Rock recovery tabs mounted to the frame horns also. Jeep trusts the frame horns, we trust the frame horns, customers of ours for over a decade have towed from them and trust them.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Sent a link to this thread from Jeeper on our FB page.

Everyone can rest assured. We have been towing from the frame of JK's since 2007 with ZERO failures.

We tow our own company rigs in this way and do so with confidence. Remember that the factory Rubicon and Recon/Hard Rock recovery tabs mounted to the frame horns also. Jeep trusts the frame horns, we trust the frame horns, customers of ours for over a decade have towed from them and trust them.
Jeep told me directly they did not recommend or endorse towing off the front frame end plate especially with just the lower two bolts. I have it in writing from them...

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
lightsout, may I suggest you start your own thread instead of continually trying to hijack this one with your continued hard___ against RockHard. Take some time and Google forum etiquette.

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Jeep told me directly they did not recommend or endorse towing off the front frame end plate especially with just the lower two bolts. I have it in writing from them...
We invite you to see our products in person. Let reality help you see how strong our system is.

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps