Sponsored

Flat-tow Set-up

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
aluminum, only 37 lbs plus the winch. It dropped my front 1/4 inch is all. I measured before and after.
I have not mounted my light bracket yet because I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. I don't like cutting into the factory harness at all.
Anyone take apart the LED tail lights yet. I wonder if I could add stand alone bulbs.
I went with the steel RH bumper because I wanted a front receiver. Added about 115 lbs with the winch.
I am technically inclined and had no problem splicing into the Jeep loom (CoolTech's instructions are excellent).
Sponsored

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
Towed over 5k miles like this...
Love my JL Turbo!

20180916_085001.jpg

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I went with the steel RH bumper because I wanted a front receiver. Added about 115 lbs with the winch.
I am technically inclined and had no problem splicing into the Jeep loom (CoolTech's instructions are excellent).
Rock hard seems significantly more expensive than LOD (comparing steel bumper to steel bumper). RH’s skid plate looks “boxier” than LOD too. Wish I could see them together in person.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Towed over 5k miles like this...
Love my JL Turbo!

20180916_085001.jpg
Great looking RV and Jeep combo! Good to hear your comments on the Cooltech harness, as due to my very limited auto elec skills, I'll be searching for local shop to handle the install. Or I will gladly pay you in beverages for a day trip up to Austin. . .

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Getting a few items installed on the inside also.
IMG_0334.jpg

Sponsored

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Rock hard seems significantly more expensive than LOD (comparing steel bumper to steel bumper). RH’s skid plate looks “boxier” than LOD too. Wish I could see them together in person.
It's not a true apples to apples comparison. I just jumped on their site and did a quick front bumper comparison to ours. I took a steel bumper of theirs to a steel bumper of ours. Full width with lowered winch tray.

Our bumper, RH-90211, is $999.95. That includes:
1/4" thick steel
Powder coat
Bull bar
Lower skid plate
Fog light mounts for LED or Halogen

Our tow bar brackets are $79.95. A bumper and tow bar bracket combo from Rock Hard 4x4 puts you at $1,079.90.

LOD starts at $714, but once you add what we already include standard, plus tow bar brackets, you are at $1,110.00.

We are actually more affordable, and the bumper material we offer is 1/4". LOD bumpers are 3/16".

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
It's not a true apples to apples comparison. I just jumped on their site and did a quick front bumper comparison to ours. I took a steel bumper of theirs to a steel bumper of ours. Full width with lowered winch tray.

Our bumper, RH-90211, is $999.95. That includes:
1/4" thick steel
Powder coat
Bull bar
Lower skid plate

Our tow bar brackets are $79.95. A bumper and tow bar bracket combo from Rock Hard 4x4 puts you at $1,079.90.

LOD starts at $714, but once you add what we already include standard, plus tow bar brackets, you are at $1,110.00.

We are actually more affordable, and the bumper material we offer is 1/4". LOD bumpers are 3/16".
Obviously I need to look closer. I’m assuming an aluminum version of the RH would be about another $100?

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Obviously I need to look closer. I’m assuming an aluminum version of the RH would be about another $100?
Our RH-90245 comes fully loaded at $1,349.95 and weighs 37 pounds.

That includes:
1/4" thick aluminum
Powder coat
Bull bar
Lower skid plate
1" thick double welded recovery tabs
Lowered winch plate
All necessary hardware
Lifetime warranty

Sleblanc63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlUR 2.0L
Occupation
RV driver, wife annoyer and grand kid spoiler.
I went with the proven. No knock on RH or LOD. ... you know.... you win at russian roulette 5 out of 6 times, right? I sure hope that those of you using aftermarket bumpers to flat tow will continue to post miles on the donkey so those of us wary of it may have peace!

angletow.jpg

frbentley

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
While Rock hard makes a great bumper from what I have learned this is not a good solution. Keep in mind the bumper has Nothing to do with the towing other than light and brake connections. I ordered this same bumper for the purpose of towing and after learning of the issues I canceled the order just prior to shipping.

The problem with this is the 4 bolts that attached each side of the bumper to the Jeeps frame is attached to a welded thin gauge face-plate in the front of the Jeeps frame. This design is problematic two fold:

The tow bracket only attaches to the two lower frame bolts which puts un-even stress on that plate and welds, so during pulling and braking all the pressure is on the lite gauge steel frame face plate not the actual Jeep linear frame. No part of that bracket is actually backed by the Jeeps tubular frame just the bottom flange of the faceplate. With contact pushing and pulling of a 5000lb TOAD myself and others were very concerned with the long term integrity of the Jeeps frame faceplate. When I say other that includes Jeep them selves, the tow bar manufacture and two large RV service centers that specialized in TOAD hardware installations.

Below is that frame plate I am referring to as you can see the attachment points are offset from the Jeep frame so again all the weight of the jeep and tow pressure points are on one half of the frame plate. I am not sure what Rockhard was thinking when they designed this. At the very least they should have designed a tow brackets that attached to all 4 frame plate bolts with the bar attachment in the middle of the tubular frame.

c1e5b37a-8e9a-49c5-a43d-6eaf8d831711_zpsli8uo8oe.jpg

Also pictured above is what I decided to use. That is the actual Blue Ox approved tow plate that attaches to three point on each side the side of the frames. As you can see the tow plate (bar connection) is only 4" below the bottom bolt of the frame so there is is no approach loss compared to say the Rockhard bumper Infact may a slight gain). However I am not a serious rock crawler whereas this would be a likely issue, however the Aluminum Rock Hard Bumper is also not common equipment for a serious rock crawler.

I too added a aftermarket bumper for the ability of having a winch and thu-bumper connections, I opted for the Barricade Aluminum bumper (to keep weight down) and the tow bar manufacture recommended tow plate. This way I know especially from a liability perspective I have set the towing system up according to their specifications.

front_zpsyl96rces.jpg

One final note: Notice how my D-ring brackets attached via all 4 frame bolts this is how Rock Hard should have done it IMO, however of all the bumper manufactures only Rock Hard and LOD allow for a tow connection directly to the bumpers, all the others said they do not authorize that use and they do not recommend towing directly off a bumper. Towing safety is serious business for me there were just too many tow industry nay sayers that were against bumper towing that I was not willing to take that risk especially since the Jeep JLU is so close to maximum tow weight as it is. This is my opinion based on the research I did that is not to say that bumper towing is not feasable it was just not recommended by may industry pro's. Aesthetically I would prefer not having the visible tow plate but safety is first and foremost.

Sponsored

frbentley

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
While Rock hard makes a great bumper from what I have learned this is not a good solution. Keep in mind the bumper has Nothing to do with the towing other than light and brake connections. I ordered this same bumper for the purpose of towing and after learning of the issues I canceled the order just prior to shipping.

The problem with this is the 4 bolts that attached each side of the bumper to the Jeeps frame is attached to a welded thin gauge face-plate in the front of the Jeeps frame. This design is problematic two fold:

The tow bracket only attaches to the two lower frame bolts which puts un-even stress on that plate and welds, so during pulling and braking all the pressure is on the lite gauge steel frame face plate not the actual Jeep linear frame. No part of that bracket is actually backed by the Jeeps tubular frame just the bottom flange of the faceplate. With contact pushing and pulling of a 5000lb TOAD myself and others were very concerned with the long term integrity of the Jeeps frame faceplate. When I say other that includes Jeep them selves, the tow bar manufacture and two large RV service centers that specialized in TOAD hardware installations.

Below is that frame plate I am referring to as you can see the attachment points are offset from the Jeep frame so again all the weight of the jeep and tow pressure points are on one half of the frame plate. I am not sure what Rockhard was thinking when they designed this. At the very least they should have designed a tow brackets that attached to all 4 frame plate bolts with the bar attachment in the middle of the tubular frame.

c1e5b37a-8e9a-49c5-a43d-6eaf8d831711_zpsli8uo8oe.jpg

Also pictured above is what I decided to use. That is the actual Blue Ox approved tow plate that attaches to three point on each side the side of the frames. As you can see the tow plate (bar connection) is only 4" below the bottom bolt of the frame so there is is no approach loss compared to say the Rockhard bumper Infact may a slight gain). However I am not a serious rock crawler whereas this would be a likely issue, however the Aluminum Rock Hard Bumper is also not common equipment for a serious rock crawler.

I too added a aftermarket bumper for the ability of having a winch and thu-bumper connections, I opted for the Barricade Aluminum bumper (to keep weight down) and the tow bar manufacture recommended tow plate. This way I know especially from a liability perspective I have set the towing system up according to their specifications.

front_zpsyl96rces.jpg

One final note: Notice how my D-ring brackets attached via all 4 frame bolts this is how Rock Hard should have done it IMO, however of all the bumper manufactures only Rock Hard and LOD allow for a tow connection directly to the bumpers, all the others said they do not authorize that use and they do not recommend towing directly off a bumper. Towing safety is serious business for me there were just too many tow industry nay sayers that were against bumper towing that I was not willing to take that risk especially since the Jeep JLU is so close to maximum tow weight as it is. This is my opinion based on the research I did that is not to say that bumper towing is not feasable it was just not recommended by may industry pro's. Aesthetically I would prefer not having the visible tow plate but safety is first and foremost.
Thanks for info. I have new 2018 Rubicon JL that I will be towing behind Class A. Was towing Cherokee with Blue Ox towbar and base plate and I have been wondering how to set up the Rubicon. I also want to put winch in front. I also approach this with an abundance of caution. Where is your 7-pin harness and braking connection located?

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Thanks for info. I have new 2018 Rubicon JL that I will be towing behind Class A. Was towing Cherokee with Blue Ox towbar and base plate and I have been wondering how to set up the Rubicon. I also want to put winch in front. I also approach this with an abundance of caution. Where is your 7-pin harness and braking connection located?
Rick, if you haven't read the many posts in this thread - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/best-setup-for-rv-flat-tow.4797/ - taking a lap thru it might be helpful to you. I am in the final moments of setting up my Rubi to be flat towed with my Class C and I found the posts extremely helpful in working out the solutions. I went with the Maximus tow loops (I prefer that clean look under the bumper vs a tow bar), BO Ascent tow bar, Cooltech harness, RVi Brake and their 12v power outlet and battery trickle charger. I put the 6-pin and breakaway switch in the face of the skid under the bumper between the tow loops.

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
I went with the proven. No knock on RH or LOD. ... you know.... you win at russian roulette 5 out of 6 times, right? I sure hope that those of you using aftermarket bumpers to flat tow will continue to post miles on the donkey so those of us wary of it may have peace!

angletow.jpg
I've yet to hear one word from the 1 in 6 loser!! Seriously! The Jeep community is internet verbal so why haven't we heard of any Rockhard bumper towing failures? I respect you went with the baseplate, that's your choice. Does anyone have a single example of the Rockford bumper actually failing as a towing option?

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
I built offroad vehicles many years ago and won both the World of Wheels for show and the Alberta Provincial Off Road Racing Championship. From an RV perspective, I've driven our diesel pusher more than 60K towing and our latest install, using an RH bumper is the easiest and best setup yet.

Sleblanc63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlUR 2.0L
Occupation
RV driver, wife annoyer and grand kid spoiler.
I've yet to hear one word from the 1 in 6 loser!! Seriously! The Jeep community is internet verbal so why haven't we heard of any Rockhard bumper towing failures? I respect you went with the baseplate, that's your choice. Does anyone have a single example of the Rockford bumper actually failing as a towing option?
AND... I should have went with a new bumper... CAUSE... the roadmaster base plate and the smittybilt winch will not work together per my local guy that does all my installs. I just posted about this... I might have an OEM bumper for sell...
Sponsored