First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Considerations --
  • This would be my first Wrangler
  • First car was a manual, miss feeling the entertainment/engagement with driving that manuals offer
  • Young toddler, manuals = more distracting/cannot attend to child?
  • Partner does not know how to drive stick, teaching her would be a requirement if we get a manual
  • Live in an area with heavy traffic (think southern california/la metro)
Are manuals generally more reliable, easier to maintain?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I'd definitely go with the 8-speed automatic if I were you. Both transmissions are probably as reliable the other unless someone has a problem learning to drive manual. Replacement clutches can be costly.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Auto - keep the wife happy. Full disclosure, I have a manual.

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
A modern automatic gets better gas mileage and is as reliable as a stick (probably moreso). If you’re going to Offroad super heavy then in theory a clutch might be more reliable and I mean might but it has a whole host of other off-roading drawbacks.

There’s only two advantages to a stick. Fun and cost. You’ll lose mileage, replace pads, and accelerate slower than an auto. It saves you 2k. I’m looking forward to teaching the wife. If you’re daily driving in bumper to bumper AND Your wide isn’t crazy to learn then I’d go auto.

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
The 6 Speed Manual is so smooth in the JL. Shifting is like butter and being in control of your gears is so much fun...

Drove the Automatic on the test drive and ordered the manual. All comes down to personal preference. Every Jeep I have owned has been a manual so I don't really know any different. I will be teaching my wife how to drive it and I don't think there will be any problems with how smooth it is.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I wanted a stick but my leg would go through door to be able to shift. Turns out the auto is the best I have ever had, its really nice, not like the old days of all the "whirl a way gears".

For me its also handy if I want to make my daughter the designated driver :O

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Auto - keep the wife happy. Full disclosure, I have a manual.
Okay okay, I also have a manual.

For the OP's list however, it looks like the auto checked more boxes.

Funny, it checked more boxes on my list as well. :lipssealed:

Snowjeep

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Ridgeline
Considerations --
  • First car was a manual, miss feeling the entertainment/engagement with driving that manuals offer
  • Partner does not know how to drive stick, teaching her would be a requirement if we get a manual

The last two are the ones that tip the scale. As much fun as a manual can be you will want the auto.

Sponsored

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
i have heard great things about the 8 speed auto.

but i went standard.

my cherokee's are my off road toys, and they are both auto, but our TJ's are stick, so i ordered my rubicon with stick.
i figured if i ordered a 4 door, i would have gotten auto, but my 2 door had to be stick. wife drives a stick but the kids can't. not about to teach them right now either.... lol

Dennis

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2 dr, black HT, LED, tow package, cold weather package
I just received my 2018 JLR with a 6 sp manual transmission in June. The sensitive electronic accelerator and the soft clutch took about 2 weeks to get used to, but I like it a lot. My previous vehicles were a 1952 Willys Jeep pickup (3 sp) and a 1984 Toyota diesel pickup (5 sp). I test drove a Grand Cherokee with the 8 sp auto. I didn't like it. It was shifting all the time and would jerk when going from deceleration to acceleration. The manuals are slower starting out, but not much. I am experienced driving manual transmissions with approximately 1 million miles on the 2 vehicles listed above plus a Peterbilt farm truck (13 sp) that needs double clutching. Off-road my feelings are mixed, if you use the Jeep for working - pulling stumps, dragging stuff, etc. a manual is preferred, highway travel I prefer the manual, but the auto would be fine too.

In South America where I go often, people believe that automatic transmissions cause accidents. They allow people to "point and shoot" without paying attention to what is going on around them.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I have a manual JL, but I suggest the auto for you based off your bullet points. Also, although the manual feels fine, it is not geared properly and takes some of the fun out of driving a wrangler.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Auto here and I love it with the 3.6L engine. Very, very responsive - no lag, no tying to find gears. It's powerful and smooth as a Mercedes - on/off road. NO regrets at all. Plus if you really want to (in town) you can shift it too which is easy. Off road I stay in the manual mode to shift when I want. Can't imagine a manual tranny in or around LA. What a pain.

Finnmalloy

First Name
Finn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 jeep grand cherokee limited 2000 Volkswagen 2018 jl 2 door sport
Considerations --

Automatic probably but if your going to get the auto go with the 2.0
Sponsored