Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
I've been reading this here and there...how the heck are you doing it??!
Sponsored

jdpatt12

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon 2019 Jeep Cherokee , 2015 ford mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
iOS and car play. Use can use google maps or Waze. I’ve been using both. You have to have the phone plugged in using usb.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
iOS and car play. Use can use google maps or Waze. I’ve been using both. You have to have the phone plugged in using usb.
Do you have any information on how much cellular data this uses?

I like the concept but I don't have unlimited data and don't want to chew it all up for an improved mapping/navigation system.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned

I like the concept but I don't have unlimited data and don't want to chew it all up for an improved mapping/navigation system.
I would guess if you download some offline maps it would use non??

Sponsored

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have done some online research on data usage of Google Maps. Some sites state it uses about 0.67MB of data every 10 miles and 0.73MB of mobile data for every 20 minutes or 2.2mb per hour while other sites state it uses about 5MB per hour.

I am trying to experiment with downloading maps for offline use but we're currently in an RV park and my wi-fi connection won't enable a connection to download at this time. I'll have to try again when I'm at a different location. When I can download a map for this region, I'll be able to see if this is a viable approach.

WillDo559

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon unlimited
Try signing up for in-vehicle WiFi with at&t, they give you a 1gb free trial otherwise it's $20 a month. I work from home so I'm able to turn on my car WiFi and work on the road. It's good as a backup too because sometimes my T-Mobile cell doesn't have reception and I can use my car.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
I didn't even know you could get a carrier plan that wasn't unlimited. May vary by region I guess.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
For iPhone, Google Maps and Waze May require iOS 12.0.0 or 12.0.1 plus the latest UConnect Update from last month.

Sponsored

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I didn't even know you could get a carrier plan that wasn't unlimited. May vary by region I guess.
Try signing up for in-vehicle WiFi with at&t, they give you a 1gb free trial otherwise it's $20 a month. I work from home so I'm able to turn on my car WiFi and work on the road. It's good as a backup too because sometimes my T-Mobile cell doesn't have reception and I can use my car.
Note that my profile shows my location to be British Columbia. We don't have AT&T here and none of the carriers here offer unlimited data.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
If you have an Android phone (i.e. you refuse to drink the Apple Kool-aid), you can use Android Auto to put Google Maps on the UConnect screen. It doesn't work with the UConnect in the smallest screen that the Sport model has from what I understand (which is what I have), but I don't consider it that big of a deal since I can just mount my spare 7" phone on the windshield in it's place. I have it set up to run without a SIM card, just using WiFi and my regular phone shares its cellular internet connection as a mobile hotspot.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Having Google maps is easy I have the Samsung Note 8 as soon as I plug it in Google pops up I have the choice to yes or no.
it's awesome always updated. It also give you the option to voice input which works flawlessly.
Works off Android Auto.
Data usage is very minimal because its just maps

Last edited:

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR

Work phone for the win!! I'd be interested in finding out how much data it truly does use, because work eventually switched me to unlimited because I stream music and maps all day long and data usage was through the roof. My work phone is an iPhone while my personal phone is a Galaxy 6. I actually prefer to use google maps over apple maps though.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly why I use it. $20/mo to make up for my horrible Tmobile service. Before I had the car wifi it'd take about 5-10 minutes for Google Maps/Spotify/etc to work because of the density of where I'm at (Downtown Dallas).

I really need to get off tmo unless their 5g is legit.
Sponsored