Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Posted this question in General JL but it didn't get far so I thought I'd post my query here.

It's pretty much winter up here in the Canadian Rockies and I had to use the windshield defrost for the first time this past week.

vents.jpg

When I use the windshield defrost, I get warm air coming out of the green area but no airflow at all from the red area. (Of course this picture omits the passenger side of the dashboard but it's the same thing on that side.)

So the end result is that the center portion of the windshield becomes free of snow and ice but the edges remain frozen. What's up with that?

Is it just mine? Can someone hit the windshield defrost on their center dash (top left corner) and tell me if they get any airflow from the vents towards the ends?
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
Received an inch+ of snow this week as the temperatures dropped below freezing for most of the week. Kind of sad considering it's technically summer for another week.

Anyways, I finally had a chance to use the windshield defrost (top left button on center console) but noticed that it only warms up the center portion of the windshield. The 1/4 on both ends don't receive any warm air.

Thought it was strange because there seems to be vents on the ends but I couldn't find a setting which forced any (warm) air out of those vents.

Anyone else get a chance to play around with the windshield defrost vents?
It seems your doing things right according to the owners manual.

IMG_1345.PNG

Gaxmode

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Funny. Mine alternates between hot and cold every few minutes when I turn the defroster on hot.

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
My JL warms up quickly and is blowing hot air in no time. But it never alternates between hot and cold.

But as for my initial query, maybe it's a Jeep thing. I noticed someone even made a 3D printable diverter for his JK :
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:184101

But the strange thing is that the JL seems to have the vents in place almost edge to edge. It's just that only the center vents seem to work.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
My JL warms up quickly and is blowing hot air in no time. But it never alternates between hot and cold.

But as for my initial query, maybe it's a Jeep thing. I noticed someone even made a 3D printable diverter for his JK :
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:184101

But the strange thing is that the JL seems to have the vents in place almost edge to edge. It's just that only the center vents seem to work.
Does it only use the center vents on both windshield mode and mixed mode?

You don’t have any air blowing on the ends of the windshield or the front door side windows?

This will be a real safety concern in cold, icy, snowy climates.

Sponsored

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Does it only use the center vents on both windshield mode and mixed mode?

You don’t have any air blowing on the ends of the windshield or the front door side windows?

This will be a real safety concern in cold, icy, snowy climates.
vents.jpg

Just to clarify, when in windshield or mixed mode, I don't feel any air coming out from the red area. The green area is fine. (The right side is not pictured but the same problem occurs on that side as well.)

The side window have a separate vent and they work fine.

Can anyone try this on their JL and let me know if this is the case on their Jeep?

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Thanks, jebjkey! I really appreciate that.

I guess the red areas are just an accessory. Or maybe they're a feature which will be added in 2019.

Either way, I'm sure we'll be seeing more of these threads as the rest of North America starts to get snow.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Thanks, jebjkey! I really appreciate that.

I guess the red areas are just an accessory. Or maybe they're a feature which will be added in 2019.

Either way, I'm sure we'll be seeing more of these threads as the rest of North America starts to get snow.
Does the red area blow warm air when the HVAC is set to the mixed position (windshield/floor) without using the windshield button?

Also at various blower speeds?

How about the side window vents on the dash? Anything coming out of those? I would think they are all connected.

Just curious.

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Does the red area blow warm air when the HVAC is set to the mixed position (windshield/floor) without using the windshield button?

Also at various blower speeds?

How about the side window vents on the dash? Anything coming out of those? I would think they are all connected.

Just curious.
The mixed position does the same thing. No air from the red area regardless of speed.

I'm thinking the red areas are not physically connected at all. Although I can't take a clear picture deep into the vent, there are changes to the structure at around that transition area.

The side window vents are separate. They consist of smaller vents on the ends of the dash and they work fine to defrost the side windows.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The mixed position does the same thing. No air from the red area regardless of speed.

I'm thinking the red areas are not physically connected at all. Although I can't take a clear picture deep into the vent, there are changes to the structure at around that transition area.
That does not seem like a safe design.

How could that pass any regulatory safety test?

jamielong

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Sierra
Mine is the same way , When the windshield fogs up and I have defrost on its only the center of the windshield that defogs ... mines going in next week ...

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
I know this was awhile ago but with the amount of stories I'm hearing I'm just wondering if this is related ???
Sponsored