Sponsored

Installing The Front Camera and Roku (Follow)

OP
OP
Mantacon

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
Did any of you have trouble putting attaching the Tazer front camera cable to the head unit? I've heard you have to do this very carefully due to a fragile plastic part. Any truth to that?
No it was actually really easy. Just have to make sure it's the right slot and the pin is facing the right way.

IMG_20180908_191121294.jpg
Sponsored

rabs13

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Would love to see how the camera looks on the screen. I was curious about installing one below front bumper and would love to see if higher up makes sense.

OP
OP
Mantacon

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
Would love to see how the camera looks on the screen. I was curious about installing one below front bumper and would love to see if higher up makes sense.
Here is it at night. I'll take a day time one later.

IMG_20180908_194332406.jpg

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR StingGray
Here is it at night. I'll take a day time one later.

IMG_20180908_194332406.jpg
So did you use the small red wire that comes out of the yellow video cable or does the camera just have power all the time?

OP
OP
Mantacon

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
So did you use the small red wire that comes out of the yellow video cable or does the camera just have power all the time?
I didn't use the red wire coming from the RCA cable. Only the power and ground for the camera connected to the ignition input on the trailer aux harness at the passenger footwell.

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
OK wow this sounds a lot like lock pick for the older jeep radios I had that on my 2008 head to Front cameras and a back up camera. Does this in stall involve pulling the radio can someone post a step-by-step directions or exactly what you have to do ? I’m guessing the taser Thing ask like the lock pic when I did the info on that I had to pull the radio and fit it behind there lotta wires but it was pretty cool but I thought the taser Went in with the OBDII
Is? Is that not correct so please somebody posted a step-by-step with pictures for us electronically challenged people

OP
OP
Mantacon

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
OK wow this sounds a lot like lock pick for the older jeep radios I had that on my 2008 head to Front cameras and a back up camera. Does this in stall involve pulling the radio can someone post a step-by-step directions or exactly what you have to do ? I’m guessing the taser Thing ask like the lock pic when I did the info on that I had to pull the radio and fit it behind there lotta wires but it was pretty cool but I thought the taser Went in with the OBDII
Is? Is that not correct so please somebody posted a step-by-step with pictures for us electronically challenged people
You will need the Tazer JL programmer. Radio does need to be pulled. Here is the link for the instructions. https://zautomotive.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Tazer-JL-AV-Cable-install-guide.pdf

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Love the video. By tracked the black looking rocks along the right side of the trail it gave a good indication of how much more of the trail is visible through the camera. Looks like you greatly improved the visibility down on the trail. We have lots of sharp up-and-over type of small hills. It would be fantastic to see what is right in front of the Jeep instead of choosing between stopping and looking or crossing your fingers and carrying onward.

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Can you toggle between the front or rear view? Does the rear view still come up automatically when in reverse, regardless?

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can you toggle between the front or rear view? Does the rear view still come up automatically when in reverse, regardless?
Yes and yes. When on the video screen there is an option to toggle between as you need. Rear facing camera still pops up immediately when you put it in reverse.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Yes and yes. When on the video screen there is an option to toggle between as you need. Rear facing camera still pops up immediately when you put it in reverse.
Thanks!

jassem99

First Name
Basil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Excellent camera location. Very OEM and away from the dirt that the bumper location is susceptible to. Your camera choice seems like the next best thing to waiting for an OEM JT camera to retrofit into JL. It would have been a home run if you got the DVD input working. Did Tazer tell you there is hope or should we just give up and opt for video switcher? For us who don't need ROKU what is a good way to mirror an iphone screen to the DVD input?

Thanks

Got to test the front camera on the trail today.

OP
OP
Mantacon

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
Excellent camera location. Very OEM and away from the dirt that the bumper location is susceptible to. Your camera choice seems like the next best thing to waiting for an OEM JT camera to retrofit into JL. It would have been a home run if you got the DVD input working. Did Tazer tell you there is hope or should we just give up and opt for video switcher? For us who don't need ROKU what is a good way to mirror an iphone screen to the DVD input?

Thanks
I've been working with Tazer and it seems there may be an update coming out very soon that unlocks the other video input. I will update the thread once this happens and I have tested it. As for now, there is not a simple way to incorporate the iPhone video into the screen, outside of using the cargo cam input. Then you would still need to get some type of digital to analog conversion.

Give it time. There will be a solution.
Sponsored