Miah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon, Infiniti M35x.
Occupation
Cryogenic’s
Hey folks,

Has anyone purchased a cold air intake? If so have you seen any changes “mpg, hp or anything?”
Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Curious too.

From past car experience and taking into account the JLUR hood vents, I'd assume you will get increased engine noise and a satisfying "thwwooomp" when you blip the throttle. Also made shifting nicer because you could hear the intake noise.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You won't see MPGs from it. More air in = more fuel in. The ECU keeps the A/F ratio where it's happy.

You may see some improvement in horsepower above 4,000 RPM or so, if you combine the intake with a quality engine tune.

CAIs usually sound really awesome, so lots of guys enjoy this. I ran one on my '12 JKU Pentastar and it sounded mean.

I likely won't run one again due to the increased threat of hydro-locking the engine when hitting standing water.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I likely won't run one again due to the increased threat of hydro-locking the engine when hitting standing water.
This is interesting. I'm new to the community, but it would seem like a CAI would be ill-suited to the purpose of a Wrangler. Off-road, you'd be sucking dust, dirt, water, and mud directly into your intake manifold. I have a good friend who killed his GTI in a large puddle that way, though obviously that was much lower than a Wrangler.

Is a CAI a common mod for Wranglers? Or is it a "mall-rated" thing (don't mean that in the derogatory, just in the sense that such a Jeep won't see much off-road)?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This is interesting. I'm new to the community, but it would seem like a CAI would be ill-suited to the purpose of a Wrangler. Off-road, you'd be sucking dust, dirt, water, and mud directly into your intake manifold. I have a good friend who killed his GTI in a large puddle that way, though obviously that was much lower than a Wrangler.

Is a CAI a common mod for Wranglers? Or is it a "mall-rated" thing (don't mean that in the derogatory, just in the sense that such a Jeep won't see much off-road)?
Yep, what got my attention was when my buddy hydro-locked his engine several years ago. Completely locked it up. It was a sad sight. After that, I started paying a lot more attention to water getting in my engine. It doesn't take much to ruin your day.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
YUP, for increased SOUND/efficiency at HIGH RPM and--

Your personal satisfaction of the new ENGINE MOD ADDITIONS(LOOKS), BUT

The main trouble with the CAI's available NOW is they all use the same JEEP intake point at the passenger side hood crack and as WXman says--that's always a dangerous spot for seemingly easy chances for HYDROLOCKING and-

I've read about at least 8 JK jeeps going thru that(HYDROLOCK) in the past 10 years--

I put a CAI on my RAM, but that's a totally different application/physical setup !

Suit yourself, just be aware of the dangers--

JIMBO

OP
OP
MKB

MKB

First Name
Miah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cryogenic’s
Thanks for all the support folks. My JLUR is my daily vehicle, no wheeling at this point. I seen an aFe that’s encased, seems as if it’d take a pool of water to do any damage.. I did put a Gibson slip on, on her & she growls. Not super throaty & no drone as of yet “but as it’s breaking in” I do hear a little more humming on the freeway.

Thanks again..

3F65B642-83D0-4954-B926-1D3D8AFEA8A9.png

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
There's nothing to gain over the stock box but sound. Always a hot topic in the ram forums.the ones that swear they get better mpg and more hp over 5k rpm. And the ones that don't waist there money on them. Dont let the sound fool you into more power.

OP
OP
MKB

MKB

First Name
Miah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cryogenic’s
10-4 Bubba & thanks. The slip on gives me the right amount of sound. Being that I ride, the stock muff is the 1st thing that goes. Not looking for speed or torque, just curious if I could save a dollar at the pump.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Not looking for speed or torque, just curious if I could save a dollar at the pump.
You won't. If you're into it for getting that CAI sound, go for it, but you will not improve the fuel economy of your Wrangler in any measurable sense.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
You won't see MPGs from it. More air in = more fuel in. The ECU keeps the A/F ratio where it's happy.

You may see some improvement in horsepower above 4,000 RPM or so, if you combine the intake with a quality engine tune.

CAIs usually sound really awesome, so lots of guys enjoy this. I ran one on my '12 JKU Pentastar and it sounded mean.

I would think you would see a gain. Colder air, = more oxygen= more power better mpg. It's HOT under the hood here in AZ and it might be a difference you can feel. Dunno.

Personally I would never run one because I think they're ugly and popping holes in my rig isnt something I gravitate to. lol

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
In my experience heat soak killed any benefit other than the kewl factor and maybe a better sound. This time around I think I'll just go with a K&N drop-in filter.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Waste of Money they are. Seriously they offer nothing.
Wrong. They offer noise! I can prove it. I got one and it’s noisy as hell. :giggle:
Sponsored