Should I wait for 2018 Wrangler?

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Hello all. I've owned so many Jeeps I would need my own forum,lol. Seriously, Ive owned about 20 of them and 15 in the past couple years. I've had 2 Unlimited Wrangler's but I'm currently liking the rumors about the 18. I never had a 2 door and I would just be using it as a highway commuter. If the 18 looks anything like this, I'm in! Do you think it will be anything like this? I love the rear window line!

2018-jeep-wrangler-smaller.jpg
Sponsored

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
15 in last couple of years?! You must have a Jeep tattoo somewhere on your body :)

Have you seen this site's renders? They're more accurate (bumpers, fenders, grilles, lighting, roofline, etc) -- Our New Jeep Wrangler (2018+) Unlimited and Pickup Preview Renderings

Is MPG, interior quality and tech important? I have a feeling those things will be big improvements that the JL will feature over the JK. If not a JL you'd pick up a current JK model?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
No way they omit the B (& C) pillars. They simply cannot due safety regulations. Side impact structure and also packaging of side impact air bags. The renderings Sport11 linked to are supposedly really close. As far as waiting, YES. I'm ready to buy today, but cannot do it, due to what I'm seeing here. Power to weight is the biggest one, but some of the interior upgrades rumored sound great, and the final coup de gras is the 3.0 Ecodiesel. A JLU with all the comfort (albiet stiffer ride) of the Grand, with mid to high 20's MPG. OH YEAH!!!

craftbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2021 Yukon Denali
Is MPG, interior quality and tech important? I have a feeling those things will be big improvements that the JL will feature over the JK.
This is the reason I will most likely wait. In recent years I've had a Grand Cherokee and now my Ram which are full of tech and creature comforts I never knew I needed until I had them. As someone who's been ready to buy since the beginning of last year, I will say, waiting is so HARD!

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Don't wait if you care only about looks because the prototypes are showing the cosmetics aren't gonna change much.

But wait if you care about the other stuff like better engines, transmissions, more efficient, innovative roof options, more tech, upgraded axles, upgraded tires/wheels.

Sponsored

JBlackoutK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
Hello all. I've owned so many Jeeps I would need my own forum,lol. Seriously, Ive owned about 20 of them and 15 in the past couple years. I've had 2 Unlimited Wrangler's but I'm currently liking the rumors about the 18. I never had a 2 door and I would just be using it as a highway commuter. If the 18 looks anything like this, I'm in! Do you think it will be anything like this? I love the rear window line!

2018-jeep-wrangler-smaller.jpg
I have to ask and with all due respect, I assume most of those 15 Jeeps in the past couple of years were not Wranglers so why not use those as your highway commuter instead of the JL? The JL is probably not going to drive much different than the JK on the highway which is to say not very good at all, and even worse than the 4 door, especially lifted with larger tires as most people outfit it.

Zip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford explorer sport, 2015 Ford fusion electric
I have never owned a Jeep. Looking seriously at getting a Unlimited. HOWEVER, this vehicle is currently seriously behind the times when it comes to drive train, technolgy, lighting, etc, etc. Chrysler management should keep this flagship vehicle cutting edge like Ford does with it's f 150, but instead they keep on dropping the ball. Needless to say I'm waiting for the long overdure refresh.

AZJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have never owned a Jeep. Looking seriously at getting a Unlimited. HOWEVER, this vehicle is currently seriously behind the times when it comes to drive train, technolgy, lighting, etc, etc. Chrysler management should keep this flagship vehicle cutting edge like Ford does with it's f 150, but instead they keep on dropping the ball. Needless to say I'm waiting for the long overdure refresh.
I guess it depends on a persons point of view. To me the Wrangler has been, is now and will be at the cutting edge of off road capability. It's the best factory stock off road vehicle you can buy. When it comes to off road they have not dropped the ball. And it looks like the JL will be even better. If a person wants more comfort then the Grand Cherokee provides that.

Jim

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The Wrangler isn't for those who want all the electronic creature comforts of a mall crawler. The drive train is only behind the times in that the engine is gutless and it gets crappy mileage. Put a diesel in there with good torque and low revs and we'd have a winner. Otherwise the body on frame design, a true open air vehicle, heavy duty and easily modifiable suspension, solid axles (with available factory lock out) transfer case and transmission are exactly where they should be.

Zip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Wrangler isn't for those who want all the electronic creature comforts of a mall crawler. The drive train is only behind the times in that the engine is gutless and it gets crappy mileage. Put a diesel in there with good torque and low revs and we'd have a winner. Otherwise the body on frame design, a true open air vehicle, heavy duty and easily modifiable suspension, solid axles (with available factory lock out) transfer case and transmission are exactly where they should be.
What do you mean it's not those who want creature comforts? If this was the 1930's would you be against heat and radios? Are power steering and breaks a creature comforts? Any company that isn't striving to put the latest engineering advances in their flagship vehicles is living on borrowed time.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
It's a Jeep thing...

People want Jeep Wranglers BECAUSE they are capable and simple. BECAUSE the top comes off. BECAUSE they thrive at being bounced down the unbeaten path.

Jeep Wrangler people DO NOT want;
Autonomous driving, self parking, blind spot/lane departure warning, Start/Stop, weak suspension, refined (soft), crossover cutting edge crap.

My opinion. I'll take the heater and radio though.

All the other Jeep models have the features you speak of.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Autonomous driving, self parking, blind spot/lane departure warning, Start/Stop, weak suspension, refined (soft), crossover cutting edge crap
I don't want any of that. But I do want a safari roof with three glass sunroof panels as shown in clay model. I do want modern smartphone connectivity and touchscreen. I do want a great audio system. I don't even need power windows. I'd rather have quick remove powerless doors with deadbolts coming from pillar(s) for power locks.

Some innovation is good, coddling is not. Make all that bullshit optional af.

Zip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Every day engineers are working on better materials, parts and technologies to make vehicles perform better. Give customers the most technologically advanced jeep you can and a lot more people will buy it. With all due respect you don,t speak for all Jeep customers.

If you want old school then buy a vehicle now. I'll wait and get a better vehicle in a few months. It's not like they are offering any incentives on the 2017's right now. BTW, when the new models come out, resale on the old technology will fall.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I strongly disagree with Zip. The Jeep Wrangler has the highest resale value of ANY four wheel drive vehicle sold in North America. Why is that? Because it's what all the other SUVs aren't. Simple, rugged, easy to work on, can go anywhere without damage, etc. Do you know how annoying "technology" is on a vehicle that you're trying to explore the trails with? I mean, even something simple like "electronic traction control" has to be totally shut off in order to travel beaches or through snow storms.

New does NOT automatically equal better.

There are luxury SUVs like Range Rovers, etc. that have all the fancy technology that Zip wants in a vehicle....but those vehicles cost FAR more money and they still get their butts whipped by Jeeps on the trail.

Bottom line is, the Jeep Wrangler is the ICON of the 4x4 world specifically because it has NOT stayed with the times. Instead, it has stayed with its roots. And true enthusiasts respect that. And that's why it has a cult following and Ford Explorers and Chevy Tahoes don't.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I don't want any of that. But I do want a safari roof with three glass sunroof panels as shown in clay model. I do want modern smartphone connectivity and touchscreen. I do want a great audio system. I don't even need power windows. I'd rather have quick remove powerless doors with deadbolts coming from pillar(s) for power locks.

Some innovation is good, coddling is not. Make all that bullshit optional af.
Av, how 'bout this?

SafariCab6_zpsxl4zazbo.jpg
Sponsored