Environmental Technician
Rubicon...
Sponsored

RavenJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito 2016 Granite Backcountry 2007 Camp Jeep
I haven’t done an apples to apples comparisons on what a Rubi with all those options would price out at, but what’s nice about it for this person is that they don’t like the look of the Sahara (personally I agree) but they don’t love the interior of the Rubi, also agree, and this marries those two things. They do not need the capabilities of the Rubi for what they are planning on doing, and living in the NE the all wheel drive and anti spin differential are way more practical and useful if you are not going to go hard core wheeling, The Sahara platform can handle most trails just fine without the lockers and sway bar disconnect. If I hadn’t already ordered my Rubi, this is probably what I would have chose to gain the all wheel drive, as it comes with all the options I added to my Rubi except the dual tops. And I have black leather in my JKU and gray leather in our JK and I find it fine in the summer and I run mine naked from June to September with just a Jtops sunshade. I won’t ever have cloth again with kids and dogs, too hard to clean but to each their own.
At 12k$ for the Moab package you are spending a sticker of roughly 53k, Well into Rubicon money for a Sahara that looks like a Rubicon. Awesome if money isn’t an issue.
One issue I see with Moab package is the special leather seats. Anyone who’s got a leather wrangler and spends a good amount of summer topless (I learned by experience) will tell you it’s like sitting on the surface of the sun after sitting in a parking lot. My leather was red on my jkur and have a friend with black cloth. All day in sun topless and you could jump into her Jeep and not burn the crap out of your legs. Food for thought if you plan on having the top and doors off during summer.
Well

Thrive

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Durango R/T, 2007 Mercedes R63 AMG
I haven’t done an apples to apples comparisons on what a Rubi with all those options would price out at, but what’s nice about it for this person is that they don’t like the look of the Sahara (personally I agree) but they don’t love the interior of the Rubi, also agree, and this marries those two things. They do not need the capabilities of the Rubi for what they are planning on doing, and living in the NE the all wheel drive and anti spin differential are way more practical and useful if you are not going to go hard core wheeling, The Sahara platform can handle most trails just fine without the lockers and sway bar disconnect. If I hadn’t already ordered my Rubi, this is probably what I would have chose to gain the all wheel drive, as it comes with all the options I added to my Rubi except the dual tops. And I have black leather in my JKU and gray leather in our JK and I find it fine in the summer and I run mine naked from June to September with just a Jtops sunshade. I won’t ever have cloth again with kids and dogs, too hard to clean but to each their own.
Well
Agreed on the cleaning aspect but the sunshade is why the seats weren’t scalding. I ended up doing a spiderwebshade or a Bestop bikini yo get just enough cover to keep seats livable. I meant completely topless, no shades or covers at all.

OP
OP
Woodynj

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
At 12k$ for the Moab package you are spending a sticker of roughly 53k, Well into Rubicon money for a Sahara that looks like a Rubicon. Awesome if money isn’t an issue.
One issue I see with Moab package is the special leather seats. Anyone who’s got a leather wrangler and spends a good amount of summer topless (I learned by experience) will tell you it’s like sitting on the surface of the sun after sitting in a parking lot. My leather was red on my jkur and have a friend with black cloth. All day in sun topless and you could jump into her Jeep and not burn the crap out of your legs. Food for thought if you plan on having the top and doors off during summer.
Never thought of the seats getting hot. Good point

Sponsored

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
Ok, I own a JKUS w/6-speed. I like my jeep. but when I next plop down the money for a new one I am getting the Rubicon, why. Well lots of reasons but none to do with any serious 4x4 plans. First, we live in the sticks, never know when the SHTF weather wise, or we have some civil insurrection. Never know when mother nature is going to just wreck havoc around here or where we travel too. If out west, it could be an earthquake, or serious fire. I want the ability to get out of town, regardless of the conditions or at least get to the store regardless of conditions. This is my emergency evacuation vehicle if I need it for that. If they still made the Hummer I might go for one of those, although the gas mileage sucks. FWIW-When traveling for my job in substation construction, the rule on the crew was no gas/diesel tank went below half because we could get called out any time for emergency and have to drive 500 miles, with not time to stop for gas. I live with that rule today, you never know when something serious will arise and you aint got time to stop but the needle is on empty. I suggest you watch videos of forced evacuations due to either fire or weather events, and look at all that traffic, not having to stop is a wonderful thing. Also, know at least 4 ways out each being different, this would included USFS roads around your area, you never know. JMTCW.

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
FF4D9281-070F-42D7-9BFB-CB9DB38EF49A.jpeg
Because “YES”..... this is the dash you get to look at every morning!!! I will not be doing any rock climbing and perhaps not much in the way of trails either, for awhile anyway. I bought the Rubicon because it is cool ... the lift looks bad...the tires, bad! The ability to have the steel bumper...because it looks awesome!! The hood...oh yeah! And that red dash...I WAS NOT GONNA DO WITHOUT! (my Rubi is red...oh yes indeed). Don’t feel guilty if your only getting it for it’s good looks, if you can afford who cares if your not gonna use the extras. I compared theSahara and the Rubi but I was only saving 3 k or so getting the Sahara and I would have regretted looking at that black dash every day... Get what will make you happy...get what you can afford. I did it....because I can!!!! ☺

So I am about to order a JL, but can not decide on Rubicon or Sahara. Love the look of both, except not sure i am sold on the red interior of rubicon (if you have pics please share)

• I will be off road a little, but dont have plans to do any serious crawling or mudding. More like rough fire/dirt roads and trails and general snow driving in the North East.
  • I will be towing a boat fairly often (about 3200 lbs total)
  • I do plan to put larger tires/wheels on either, but no lift (so 33 on Sahara maybe 35 on Rubicon)

What should i be thinking about? All thoughts welcome! Thanks!!!

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Ok, I own a JKUS w/6-speed. I like my jeep. but when I next plop down the money for a new one I am getting the Rubicon, why. Well lots of reasons but none to do with any serious 4x4 plans. First, we live in the sticks, never know when the SHTF weather wise, or we have some civil insurrection. Never know when mother nature is going to just wreck havoc around here or where we travel too. If out west, it could be an earthquake, or serious fire. I want the ability to get out of town, regardless of the conditions or at least get to the store regardless of conditions. This is my emergency evacuation vehicle if I need it for that. If they still made the Hummer I might go for one of those, although the gas mileage sucks. FWIW-When traveling for my job in substation construction, the rule on the crew was no gas/diesel tank went below half because we could get called out any time for emergency and have to drive 500 miles, with not time to stop for gas. I live with that rule today, you never know when something serious will arise and you aint got time to stop but the needle is on empty. I suggest you watch videos of forced evacuations due to either fire or weather events, and look at all that traffic, not having to stop is a wonderful thing. Also, know at least 4 ways out each being different, this would included USFS roads around your area, you never know. JMTCW.
You know that literally any JL does this, right?

OP
OP
Woodynj

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I am so back and forth. Driving my wife crazy trying to make a decision. Down to two decisions.

Granite or Sting Gray
Rubicon or Sahara

If I go Sahara I want 33s and new rims. I am ok with what’s on the rubicon. With new wheels/tires prices come out about the same so not a decision point.

There are no wrong choices, just really hard ones. Such first world problems we all face when buying these fun toys!

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I am so back and forth. Driving my wife crazy trying to make a decision. Down to two decisions.

Granite or Sting Gray
Rubicon or Sahara

If I go Sahara I want 33s and new rims. I am ok with what’s on the rubicon. With new wheels/tires prices come out about the same so not a decision point.

There are no wrong choices, just really hard ones. Such first world problems we all face when buying these fun toys!
Not my money, but granite and Sahara. You’ll appreciate it if you drive daily. And if you do take an unpaved path- it’s more than capable.

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I wouldn't want to drive my Rubicon every day, the ride is too damn harsh but I bought it specifically for going off-road. I never drove a Sahara but I bet the ride is better, so for your situation my vote is for a Sahara.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Welp @Woodynj , after 2100 views and 56 answers on this thread from Jeep and ironically non-jeep owners chiming in (not sure what they can offer here), have you made your widely anticipated decision of what you're going to get? Surely you don't need anymore thoughts do you?

I noticed after all of our inputs, your post #54 "I still havent decided on the sahara or rubicon". LOLOLOLOL!!!!

Let us know as I haven't slept a wink!

TTYL!

P.S. Check out my "For the love of God..." post. This is exactly why these posts need to cease to exist.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
OK, there are two key points that keep coming up in this thread.

1) Tires

2) Towing

I'd like to point out a couple of things relating to these points. First of all, the Rubicon has BETTER tires, but not necessarily significantly BIGGER tires. The BFG KO2 does have those nice 3-ply sidewalls, and is ever so slightly more aggressive than the A/T tire options for the Sport/Sahara, but, it measures about 32.25" tall while on the Jeep. I know this because I've put a tape measure on them. The Sport/Sahara tires measure 32.00" tall. At least, mine do. So, the point to all this is that the Rubicon tires are only marginally better than the other tires offered on JL. I would NOT base my decision on which model to buy on the tires. You'll want to upgrade either way, which is what I did.

Secondly, if you are towing a boat, the Rubicon has that nice 4.10 axle ratio which will be great for you. Currently, you cannot get the 4.10 ratio on any other model. I'm sure that will change in the future. But for 2018 you cannot. So, the 8-speed auto with the 4.10s of the Rubicon will tow your boat with more ease. I'm shocked that in 4 pages of thread nobody mentioned that.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
You know that literally any JL does this, right?
LOL, man i've given up hope. And honestly, i truly believe in my heart, from the bottom of my soul, that there are people are there that buy the Rubicon for the name on the side of the hood, absolutely no other reason. If you are buying a Rubicon, you should know atleast 90% of everything that comes on it and why it is there, which is why you buy it in the first place. Most wrangler people that have had atleast 1 in their life, know that the sahara is the absolute top of the line wrangler. (I don't even have a Sahara either). The sport is the most customizable, and the rubicon is loaded on the underneath. For a high level overview, that cannot be disputed.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
LOL, man i've given up hope. And honestly, i truly believe in my heart, from the bottom of my soul, that there are people are there that buy the Rubicon for the name on the side of the hood, absolutely no other reason. If you are buying a Rubicon, you should know atleast 90% of everything that comes on it and why it is there, which is why you buy it in the first place. Most wrangler people that have had atleast 1 in their life, know that the sahara is the absolute top of the line wrangler. (I don't even have a Sahara either). The sport is the most customizable, and the rubicon is loaded on the underneath. For a high level overview, that cannot be disputed.
I think it absolutely disputable. The only things that a Sahara offers that the rubicon doesn't is the leather lined dash panel, chrome grille and bumper accents and 4H auto transfer case with cv joints on the front axle.
Sponsored