Sponsored

Removable doors on JL/JLU?

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, Dodge Journey, Toyota Corolla
Found a better image of what this new ranger is suppose to look like thanks to the Australian market.

Jeep Wrangler JL Removable doors on JL/JLU? {filename}
As Euro/Bulbous as that looks, depending on final result it will sell. The Colorado/Canyon/Tacoma all sell well, I have a feeling the Ranger will match the market and what the majority of people want.

From what I hear the Ranger in Australia is an offroading beast in their "Wildcat" trim.

Time will tell
Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I will not buy a JLU if it doesn't have removable doors.

I plan on having them off and having all three sunroof panels removed, all summer.

I also hope for "quick remove" doors.
Even suicide doors, for practicality:

On wireless suicide doors, Power locks come from the pillar instead of requiring any wiring harness to be attached to the door itself. Windows are Manual.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
I'm guessing like the folding windshield the

I wish they'll give us the best of both worlds somehow and give us removable doors on the JL that will also have hinges and some better side impact protection built in.
Same here. I'll be happy if they give us the smart door hinges with 3 firm stop points that you find in the aftermarket. It also prevents the door from swinging in to your fenders if you happen to not have the strap connected. The only extra step for removing the door is removing the center torx bolt. Like this one:

Jeep Wrangler JL Removable doors on JL/JLU? {filename}

The aftermarket has really done all the work for Jeep. All they need to do is redesign the most popular JK mods from the last decade and incorporate it into the JL. Then call it a day and don't fix anything that doesn't need fixing.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I still don't know why mirrors are mounted on door and not two inches in front on the body.

Removing as much from the door as possible for a stripped down option to make them remove as quick as possible, would be an excellent option.

Powerless quick remove doors with manual windows. And power deadbolt locks coming from the pillar between two suicide doors. Cmon FCA.

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
I think the JK doors are easy enough to remove as it is (any more so and it's only going to exacerbate the road/wind noise and cold air coming in to the cabin). It WILL be easier to remove since the doors on the JL will be aluminum. I think we should all be hoping they don't move the hinges to the interior. That is more probable than FCA designing suicide doors that are even easier to remove.

Sponsored

Deacon Blues

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I'm of 2 minds on removable doors. I love that I have the option but in all honestly I can count on one hand how many times I've actually removed the doors and they went back on after a day. I'd be sad to see it go, but on the other hand it would probably mean real door hinges that actually keep the door open and more solid door construction.

I drive my young daughter around in my Jeep sometimes and it'd be nice to see the side impact crash ratings improved for more peace of mind if nothing else.
I have been driving a Wrangler Unlimited Sahara for 5 years and personally I can't even count all the times I've had the doors off. I am at the point that I only remove the front doors and freedom top most days. For me, the primary reason for a Wrangler IS the removable doors. If not for that, I would choose a much for comfortable daily driver. As for safety, my next Wrangler will have the side impact airbag option. I don't do much serious off road driving with my almost 50K Wrangler so a capable 4x4 offering more comfort and convenience will be my next vehicle if they do away with the removable doors. I'll just buy a cheap used beater Wrangler and use it as a second vehicle instead of my everyday driver if it comes down to it. Please keep the removable doors!

Deacon Blues

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because I like cruising around on the beach and that's more enjoyable with the doors off. Ease of access into ths water. depending on quality of the vehicles I will lean towards the best vehicle, if what I mean by tossing the other two competitors into the mix.
Agreed. I have a Wrangler Unlimited Sahara precisely because the doors and roof are removable. I am willing to accept the spartan interior, yesterday's , technology and the poor ride for the open air experience. Without it, I might as well be comfortable and more practical in another 4x4.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
It's not just that removable doors MUST be on the JL & JLU.

It's that the ease/function of removing the doors should be improved upon the JK & JKU.

It's clear the removable roof panels which fit in the rear cargo area are a marked improvement for many.

But if the doors aren't easier to remove than the JK/JKU, coupled with the enthusiast's skepticism about the new roof, it could be a disaster sales wise.

I for one, love the new roof design, and will never even put the opaque panels on, and will opt to not even buy them if possible, just having the glass panels letting light shine thru permanently.

But I also recognize that for those who do not absolutely love the new roof design, easily removable doors are an absolute must.

Sponsored

MLPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Willys JK 6M
I have been driving a Wrangler Unlimited Sahara for 5 years and personally I can't even count all the times I've had the doors off. I am at the point that I only remove the front doors and freedom top most days. For me, the primary reason for a Wrangler IS the removable doors. If not for that, I would choose a much for comfortable daily driver. As for safety, my next Wrangler will have the side impact airbag option. I don't do much serious off road driving with my almost 50K Wrangler so a capable 4x4 offering more comfort and convenience will be my next vehicle if they do away with the removable doors. I'll just buy a cheap used beater Wrangler and use it as a second vehicle instead of my everyday driver if it comes down to it. Please keep the removable doors!
Since it's been confirmed that folding windshield is staying I'd place my bet on removable doors staying too. I mean Wrangler doors must be removed by its owners much more often than windshields are folded down right? So if Jeep cared enough to preserve the fold down windshield, they'll likely make sure the removable doors stay.

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
No worries. They are absolutely keeping the removable doors-period.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
We need confirmation of a few things:

1. Removable doors which are noticeably faster/easier to remove than the JK/JKU.

2. Removable 3-sunroof, 3-panel, 6-piece roof as pictured in clay model, all storable in the trunk area.

3. Diesel engine

Let us know sooner than later FCA !

Deacon Blues

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since it's been confirmed that folding windshield is staying I'd place my bet on removable doors staying too. I mean Wrangler doors must be removed by its owners much more often than windshields are folded down right? So if Jeep cared enough to preserve the fold down windshield, they'll likely make sure the removable doors stay.
Agee with your reasoning there. It is a must have for me. Beautiful Fall evenings in the mountains with the roof and doors off. It really doesn't get much better for me!
Sponsored