First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
We’ve had our Jeep for about 6 weeks. This evening we had a hail storm, some as large as golf ball size. Most were ping pong ball size. My new JL came out pretty good considering. Only damage I can see is the hood so far.

My wife’s Honda Pilot didn’t make out so well. The hood, top, passenger side, and back are pretty dented. I’ll try to get a few pictures tomorrow after the storm has passed.

Hard to believe an aluminum hood made out better than our Honda! Go figure.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@CanAmMick

That sucks! I keep 3 decent looking/ new, neatly folded, black Harbor Freight shipping pads in the back of each of my vehicles. IF, a hail storm suddenly hits, I go out to the vehicle or pull over if driving and throw the shipping pads over the hood, etc.. This has saved me over the years from what you are faced now.

OP
OP
CanAmMick

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@CanAmMick

That sucks! I keep 3 decent looking/ new, neatly folded, black Harbor Freight shipping pads in the back of each of my vehicles. IF, a hail storm suddenly hits, I go out to the vehicle or pull over if driving and throw the shipping pads over the hood, etc.. This has saved me over the years from what you are faced now.
That’s a great idea! May have to give it a try. Looks like we’re going to have to do something as much as it hails out here.

Last edited:

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Honda Pilot uses aluminum in quite a few body panels. Just grab a magnet and check the panels. We have a 2016 pilot but haven’t been through any extreme hailstorms yet. That’ll all change when we move back to Colorado.

As for the Jeep...time for some upgrades!

OP
OP
CanAmMick

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Honda Pilot uses aluminum in quite a few body panels. Just grab a magnet and check the panels. We have a 2016 pilot but haven’t been through any extreme hailstorms yet. That’ll all change when we move back to Colorado.

I didn’t know that! Will be checking it tomorrow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CanAmMick

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Monday the dealership is suppose to install my Warn Winch, bumper, electric running boards, and some things. Guess I’ll be getting an estimate on a new hood too.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
@CanAmMick

Great idea. Thanks for the tip.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
For whatever reason, in this part of the Houston area, we don't seem to get large hailstorms. Any hail that we get is usually pea-size and I have yet to have any damage any of my vehicles that have to park outside (because they wouldn't physically fit inside the garage). On the other hand, up north of I-10 on the west side of Houston, they get larger hail and it definitely damages cars. There's also a lot of car dealerships up in that area and every couple of years, we have a pretty good hailstorm and them you see ads from all of those dealerships selling the hail-damaged cars. I've seen cars that looked like golf balls since they had some many dimples on them. I've also seen cars with windshields broken out because of really large pieces of hail. I've very glad that I've been lucky with respect to this.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I'm just lucky, we have had some pretty strong HAIL STORMS here in the desert, but---

I keep evey thing in my GARAGE-

No applause necessary

W.E.

JIMBO

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
There are some at my local dealership with minor hail damage...I can't find whwhe the damage is...$1,000 off

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
There are some at my local dealership with minor hail damage...I can't find whwhe the damage is...$1,000 off
Sometimes the dealer repairs the damage and still applies the discount. In those cases I’m not 100% certain but the repair must be reported to carfax since the dealer probably used their insurance to pay for the repair.

Resale value will take a hit down the road.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
In 2010 my wife was an insurance agent. We had some really giant hail. A home owner's policy covered a car that had hail damage from a hail stone that went through the roof and ceiling to damage the car.

Here is a couple lines from the Wichita Eagle newspaper:

National Weather Service officials are investigating whether a hailstone that fell near Pawnee and Maize Road on Wednesday night is the largest recorded in Kansas.

"They're out looking at it right now," Chance Hayes, warning coordination meteorologist for the Wichita branch of the weather service, said Thursday.

Preliminary assessments indicate that the stone has the largest diameter recorded in Kansas. Its diameter of 7.75 inches easily surpasses the previous record 5.7 inches, the size of a hailstone that fell in Coffeyville on Sept. 3, 1970.
We lived close enough that our roof was totalled.

OP
OP
CanAmMick

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well wash both vehicles today. My JL, hood, windshield frame, both passenger side doors, and front and rear quarter panels have some dents. The hood really took it.

My wife’s Honda Pilot, only thing that did not get dented is the passenger door on the drivers side.

My wife is pretty upset. She loves her Pilot. All in all, it could have always been worst. At least we were not in an accident, and no one got hurt.

We’ve had USAA insurance for years, and have never filed a claim. Guess we’ll see how good they really are!

6AA4FEBE-3984-4163-9740-6A481583F52C.jpeg

08C8025E-9972-4515-AD24-DBA2CD9C712B.jpeg

986D8B5D-6741-4948-9D4A-5A85F11ED491.jpeg

765A85D3-FF7C-4769-9850-E133CB000315.jpeg

3B89AFC9-71CD-4D7F-85B7-7977389EE9A5.jpeg

70BDAD8A-02AD-4340-9FC2-F1C639F73AC8.jpeg

742401CB-949E-4F6E-8779-734ABD71F1B8.jpeg

1605AC57-3873-49BF-B1D9-B08E42471B05.jpeg

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Well wash both vehicles today. My JL, hood, windshield frame, both passenger side doors, and front and rear quarter panels have some dents. The hood really took it.

My wife’s Honda Pilot, only thing that did not get dented is the passenger door on the drivers side.

My wife is pretty upset. She loves her Pilot. All in all, it could have always been worst. At least we were not in an accident, and no one got hurt.

We’ve had USAA insurance for years, and have never filed a claim. Guess we’ll see how good they really are!
That's a real shame. The good news is you have USAA. Dad was career Marine and he had it, my sister and her husband have it (he worked at USAA for years), my brother has it . . . never had anything but positive results when filing claims. Personally I've had State Farm for over 40 years with similar results. Good luck!

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Get estimate and check made to you. Then try dry ice. Leave in the sun then put dry ice on the dent. They often pop right out. Im in windsor co and we got pounded the other night as well. My tj got a couple dents on the windshield frame. I was able to protect most of the hood with blankets and some hocket bags full of equipment on top.
Sponsored