Sponsored

Hail Storm...

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Well...I got caught in a pretty intense hailstorm last night in Georgetown, TX. The Rubi was pelted for about half an hour with pea-sized to quarter-sized hail stones while we were in a restaurant. As intense as that storm was, rain coming down sideways at times, I was expecting to come out and find windows broken and dents all over the hood and sides but the Rubi fared very well with zero damage or dents. :whew: Going to go get her all cleaned up and looking pretty this morning. :like: :clap:
Sponsored

wahlsaint

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6MT; Macan Turbo; Li'l Cooper; Subee, CR-V
Well...I got caught in a pretty intense hailstorm last night in Georgetown, TX. The Rubi was pelted for about half an hour with pea-sized to quarter-sized hail stones while we were in a restaurant. As intense as that storm was, rain coming down sideways at times, I was expecting to come out and find windows broken and dents all over the hood and sides but the Rubi fared very well with zero damage or dents. :whew: Going to go get her all cleaned up and looking pretty this morning. :like: :clap:
Yikes. Glad you escaped damage ... lots of flat dentable panels on these things!

ATX_Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Ugh, that stinks. Glad there was no damage. But I'm bummed we didn't get a drop of rain down here in SW Austin. My yard is hurting!

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
We got a bunch of rain in Fort Worth, but fortunately no hail.

I had to take my JKU through an insane hail storm a few years ago. We were already on the road and couldn't do anything but keep going forward. I thought for sure I'd have a million dents, but I came out with 0 damage. These things are pretty tough.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
snipe:
Well...I got caught in a pretty intense hailstorm last night in Georgetown, TX. The Rubi was pelted for about half an hour with pea-sized to quarter-sized hail stones while we were in a restaurant.
I learned long ago to keep a decent looking, shipping pad in my Wrangler. Shipping pad comes in handy when you tote stuff, etc.. When it really comes in handy and saves the day, so to speak, is when there is a hail storm with large hail pellets.

I just take the shipping pad and place it on top of the front end of the Wrangler while it is hailing. (Of course, I'm parked) The shipping pad saves the hood and such. The hardtop or convertible top is fine on it's own.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Not sure which body parts are now aluminum, but I suspect they’ll be more prone to hail damage.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Not sure which body parts are now aluminum, but I suspect they’ll be more prone to hail damage.
I believe for Rubicons, its the hood, doors and fenders and for everything else its a combination of steel, aluminum and magnesium.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I think everything with a hinge is aluminum but the tailgate is magnesium or something.

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Just saw this thread and unfortunately I can say the aluminum is pretty prone to denting :(. We had a pretty large hail storm which left my hood covered with hundreds of small dimples.
20180519_230636.jpg
20180519_230657.jpg
20180519_230725.jpg

I got some dents above the windshield on the metal as well but it didn't really show up in the pic I took. My Rigid LEDs came out unscathed though.
20180519_230756.jpg

Still love the Jeep and am hoping it doesnt take too long to get things fixed.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@xpsruler

Good advice posted earlier in this thread. Actually, just last week I had to quickly throw 2 shipping pads across the hood of my JL and roof when we had a hail storm.

snipe:

I learned long ago to keep a decent looking, shipping pad in my Wrangler. Shipping pad comes in handy when you tote stuff, etc.. When it really comes in handy and saves the day, so to speak, is when there is a hail storm with large hail pellets.

I just take the shipping pad and place it on top of the front end of the Wrangler while it is hailing. (Of course, I'm parked) The shipping pad saves the hood and such. The hardtop or convertible top is fine on it's own.

Sponsored

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the Rapter liner coat would save this from happening?

I know its not the same as factory paint, nice and shiny and new but I just wonder if its strong enough to withstand the hail.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Ugh, that stinks. Glad there was no damage. But I'm bummed we didn't get a drop of rain down here in SW Austin. My yard is hurting!
I’m in Florida. We’re on week two of three for straight rainy days. Makes it really hard to enjoy having the top off.

Wish I could send you some of our “Liquid Sunshine”