Sponsored

Manual vs Automatic

Wdh777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hoping to get a JLL
Do most folks order a manual or automatic. Do you think there is a big difference in resale value for the manuals if not many folks want these? Thanks
Sponsored

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Do most folks order a manual or automatic. Do you think there is a big difference in resale value for the manuals if not many folks want these? Thanks
That's a rather loaded question. In the car world most people drive automatics (not me) so cars with automatic transmissions are more sought after and a manual tranny car is considered harder to sell. This I think has been changing a bit but I still suspect a premium is still placed on automatics.

But in the Jeep world manuals up till now are considered more useful so that makes things a bit more complicated. I've always owned a manual transmission Jeep. Now having said that the new 8 speed automatic is a pretty good transmission. We have this in my wife's Rebel and it shifts smoothly and keeps the truck in the power band nicely and I think helps overall on fuel economy.

Now the over thinking part of me does look at an 8 speed auto and says, but with all those extra parts can it be more prone to failure? And that I don't know. Granted if FCA is using the same 8 speed that they are putting behind the 395 hp Hemi's in the Rams then I think it will be ok. Spec wise it looks like the auto is getting better fuel economy on paper....

Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
I think there is an unusually high rate of manual transmissions in Wrangler in comparison to many other vehicle models and dont see one really offering more or less in the way of resale. I sold 2 Wranglers back to the dealership when buying new cars and, in general, the resale value of Wranglers is stupid high to begin with. So now looking at getting into my 3rd Wrangler I'm in a bit of a pickle. I love manual transmissions. My first two JKs had the manual. That being said I want the diesel and when push comes to shove Ill take the diesel auto versus the pentastar manual. Dont get me wrong, the pentastar Wrangler is leaps and bounds above the 3.8 that puked all over the first JK ownership boner. But 15mpg gets old after a while.

2018JLU4ME

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Brilliant Black WK2 Limited
if prices of diesel sky rocket again...youll be swapping out for a Pentastar in a heartbeat lol

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
I don't think it's a loaded question at all. Modern autos are better than manuals. Get a stick if you enjoy it (like myself), otherwise just get the auto and it'll be great.

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I've owned Jeeps with both type of transmission, and would say the automatic was more versatile in general, and better offroad than the manual. In particular the automatic offered very precise low speed control due to the smooth engagement of the torque converter, which I found valuable on rocky trails in Colorado. And that was even with horrible 2.72 axle gears. I will qualify though, by saying the manual trans Jeep I had, did not have a granny low gear, which would have evened things out more. Also the automatic did a better job with towing.

Bad thing about the automatic is it sometimes overheated offroading, so I installed a large trans cooler. Also eventually mine began slipping, and I should probably get it rebuilt, although currently I have bigger fish to fry with that Jeep (fixing the body rust since it is rusting to pieces). The manual trans was fun to drive in some situations that did not involve traffic, and my wife prefers manual for the fun aspect. Will depend on your preferences and driving needs. Living in Chicago now with gridlock traffic, I tend to appreciate auto trans more.

In terms of resale, last summer when I stopped at a dealership, there were no manual trans JKs. And the sales guy said they rarely get any. Maybe he was jiving me since all he had to sell were automatics. But resale might be better on autos if that is what most people want in a particularity area.

All that said, I am kind of leaning towards a manual trans if I end up buying a JL. But first I want to get the lowdown on the strength/performance of the new manual transmission, because so far we know very little about it. We finally as of yesterday know the model number and gearing of the manual trans. Will be interested to get some reviews on strength and build quality.

2018JLU4ME

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Brilliant Black WK2 Limited
my parents have a 15 JK auto...pretty zippy and i will say...when i stuffed it in my manual 13 JK...it had no problem moving..i hated the manual on the trails though...when i got stuck...it was a bitch to keep stuffing the clutch to move back and forth out of a ditch lol

we know the Pentastar got an upgrade...and so did the transmissions...the 8speed auto is no joke...at least not in my GC or the new Chargers...grab the popcorn!

jkrod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Ive had both and for sure it is easier crawling and maneuvering in very steep hills and climbs crawling with an auto.............and more or less, especially if a 4 door..........manual will be MUCH harder resale........all IMO of course, your milage may vary!:rock::rock:

whatroads

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500 QC 4x4, 2012 Wangler
Every Jeep I've had have been manual transmissions. Even my 94 Cherokee 4.0 was a manual. I replaced my 89 YJ, (258), tranny with a T-18 out of a one ton Ford. It did have a 6.29:1 first. I used a T-18 bell housing out of a junkyard 258 CJ w/ T-18, (These did not have the Granny first)

The JL manual is an Aisin D478. This may have a special build just for the JL application. One web site I found showed a non-JL Aisin D478 with a torque spec of around 345 ft-lb. If this is the same for the JL I can see why it will not work for the diesel and a little too close for comfort in the 2.0 Turbo.

Having said this, I'm real interested in the 8 speed auto. 4.7:1 in an automatic transmission is crazy low. And, like my RAM, I should be able to individually select gears. First modification will either be the addition of a tranny cooler, or if one already exists, upgrading the cooler.

I have not yet been able to find the torque specs. I've been searching the Grand Cherokee w/ Pentastar. Everything I see is for the HP model. An no, the RAM does not have the same 8 speed that will be available in the JL. The RAM is an HP. Same housing, different internals at a lower rated torque spec

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I don't think it's a loaded question at all. Modern autos are better than manuals. Get a stick if you enjoy it (like myself), otherwise just get the auto and it'll be great.
Except cost, both initially and maintenance/repair.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
In my mind, I keep thinking the US side of FCA does not exactly have a good reputation for automatic transmissions. I miss driving manual in addition to that.

Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
if prices of diesel sky rocket again...youll be swapping out for a Pentastar in a heartbeat lol
I don’t think many of us dropping 50k on a fun car are too worried about gas price fluctuations

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I have not yet been able to find the torque specs. I've been searching the Grand Cherokee w/ Pentastar. Everything I see is for the HP model. An no, the RAM does not have the same 8 speed that will be available in the JL. The RAM is an HP. Same housing, different internals at a lower rated torque spec
I think the "50" in 850RE means that it's rated for 500 lb-ft of torque. (Or maybe that's N-m.)

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
In my mind, I keep thinking the US side of FCA does not exactly have a good reputation for automatic transmissions. I miss driving manual in addition to that.
The design is licensed from ZF.

Has there been any quality issues with the Chrysler versions manufactured in-house in the USA vs. the genuine ZF ones manufactured in Germany (I think).
Sponsored