Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I live in north LA. Wife commutes on the 405. She insisted on auto. I do light crawling and dont need to fuddle with a clutch/stalling. I love this auto.

Im not big on large vehicles with a manual. Been there done that. If it was small like a tj them its a different story. I also prefer manuals for sporty cars. Or at least used to. Im starting to wish my gt500 had an auto. Even thought about going to a vette with auto or hellcat. just over messing with manuals, especially in these tight parking lots.
Manual is best on track or canyons but thats once in a super blue moon lol.

I have read zero gripes about the 8 speed. I have read a few grips about the manual, especially if you plan to go to bigger tires. People say the auto just works with them no problem, which i can attest to after going to 35s on my sport. Ive read gripes about going bigger with manual without regearing
Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Maybe I missed it in one of the posts........... No one has covered that only the auto comes with Hill Decent. I have used it many times and love it! I have been teaching my wife how to use the Jeep for what it was intended for. We have taken of off road for many miles. As she learns she has become very good at reading the trails and picking good lines. For those of you the are able to use your Jeep off road, talk you significant outer into driving. Teaching is as fun as driving.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I missed it in one of the posts........... No one has covered that only the auto comes with Hill Decent. I have used it many times and love it! I have been teaching my wife how to use the Jeep for what it was intended for. We have taken of off road for many miles. As she learns she has become very good at reading the trails and picking good lines. For those of you the are able to use your Jeep off road, talk you significant outer into driving. Teaching is as fun as driving.
You make a good point Kidder. Years ago with a manual trans and the old engines you’d have so much compression that you could just put it in a lower gear going down a hill and you barely had to use the brake. I notice with these modern engines if I’m coming up to my exit and start downshifting the engine races but you still have to apply decent brake pressure to slow the vehicle.

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I would say automatic might be a better fit.

That being said, I went from automatic JL to manual JL because I would think about driving stick everyday I drove the auto. Nothing wrong with the auto, its so good... I just couldn't get over missing the manual.

To me driving in traffic with a manual has never been an issue. Not sure about the kids thing though. Get what makes you happy. You can't go wrong with either.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
IMO a manual driver is a better driver. I know I will get some flak from saying this, but it’s true. With a manual you have to pay attention to the terrain at all times to be in the correct gear for hills and corners. You also have to pay attention in the city to get ready for a stop sign or a red light to downshift. What is the common denominator in my dialogue; paying attention.

Too many people get behind a wheel when driving an auto and don’t pay a lot of attention to what they’re doing. This is also when the smart phones get illegally used; it’s much more difficult to text when you have to shift a manual transmission.
Sponsored