Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
So many threads on steering.

1. tire pressure
2. alignment
3. steering box adjustment

One member reports fixing his wandering JLU by adjusting the steering box.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Got them aired down to 37. Notice some difference but there is still a lot of wander.

Are the stock tires actually filled with nitrogen?

My tires have the little caps that say "Nitrogen". But I've noticed when I drive and the tires heat up, they increase in pressure some. I didn't think nitrogen did that.
The air we breathe is like 78% nitrogen: it’s not a factor (and I really hope your dealer didn’t charge you for it).

OP
OP
Dadawada

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
The air we breathe is like 78% nitrogen: it’s not a factor (and I really hope your dealer didn’t charge you for it).
Not that I know of (charging for it). Nitrogen is also inert gas, meaning it is not supposed to expand or contract with temperature. I think that is why they started using it when they started putting sensors in the wheels. Compressed air also has humidity which under pressure condenses and makes moisture in your tires. In summer, that moisture can ruin the tire sensors. In winter it can form ice and rattle around in the tire. That's why I was asking.

Thanks

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So many threads on steering.

1. tire pressure
2. alignment
3. steering box adjustment

One member reports fixing his wandering JLU by adjusting the steering box.
Haha yeah I know, right? The tire pressure thing is going to become an inside joke around here. "My hard top leaks, what should I do?" "Drop your tire pressure." Lol. It's the first thing everybody starts typing, even though tires and tire pressures have absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

Actual fixes that I've heard of so far are:

1) Alignment as you mentioned
2) Steering box adjustment as you mentioned
3) Software update to correct the programming from a 2-door to a 4-door
4) Waiting until some miles have racked up and the steering box and stabilizer are "worn in"

Mine has been much better lately, and it's either #3 or #4 that fixed it because I haven't adjusted my box and I haven't changed my toe but my caster was changed a bit with no difference made.

Sponsored

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Local Government Official
I'm wondering if it's a Rubicon thing. I have no issues with my sport s. I have the Dana 44 and A/T tires. The steering is tight and responsive and I have no issues keeping it in a lane at highway speeds.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I'm wondering if it's a Rubicon thing. I have no issues with my sport s. I have the Dana 44 and A/T tires. The steering is tight and responsive and I have no issues keeping it in a lane at highway speeds.
My Rubi has no issues either, but tires were definitely overinflated at delivery. I think a few on here have some legitimate issues, and a few more are just coming from a different type of vehicle and have different expectations.

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Local Government Official
My Rubi has no issues either, but tires were definitely overinflated at delivery. I think a few on here have some legitimate issues, and a few more are just coming from a different type of vehicle and have different expectations.
Yeah, these aren't mini vans. I came from an Infiniti EX35 hatchback. The only other jeep I had driven was a '99 TJ Sahara. This thing is night and day better. It isn't even close.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Seems ridiculous, but after adding a winch to the front end, I’m complaining a lot less of the wandering issue I was also experiencing. The extra 125 lbs or so did something to make a noticeable difference

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
Not that I know of (charging for it). Nitrogen is also inert gas, meaning it is not supposed to expand or contract with temperature. I think that is why they started using it when they started putting sensors in the wheels. Compressed air also has humidity which under pressure condenses and makes moisture in your tires. In summer, that moisture can ruin the tire sensors. In winter it can form ice and rattle around in the tire. That's why I was asking.

Thanks
The humidity impact may well be true, but air and nitrogen at tire pressures and temperatures compress the same. Remember PV=nRT ideal gas law from high school chemistry. Inert gasses just do not react chemically.

Sponsored

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
my JL has been wandering aimlessly on the highway ever since trump was elected

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
Maybe you should hop back in your Prius....
perhaps you didn't get my sarcasm.... or the manner in which it was levied. i have no prius and i voted for the donald...... ;-)

Jeep Jenn

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Sport S
I just picked up a fully loaded Rubicon JLU. I took it on my first highway/Interstate short trip. The Jeep wanders a lot in the lane and the steering is vague and a little abrupt when correcting with lots of roll. I don't remember my older Jeeps driving this way.

So do I have an alignment / toe in issue or is this normal for these now?

Soooooo I asked about this out of my Jeep lovers because I too thought there was too much play in the steering wheel. I was told that this play is supposed to be there to keep your wrist from breaking while you are rock crawling and off roading and you hit a big bump/pothole. it is a safety feature.

all I see is my jeep weaving in and out of the lane in a state where NOBODY seems to understand that you stay in the lines. sooo I called my mechanic. I have an appointment next week to see if we can tighten up the play on my steering wheel and teach me how to loosen it up again when I take her off road.
Sponsored