Highway Driving

Dadawada

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited on 35's, 2017 BMW R1200GS Adventure, 2018 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse 116, 2002 Landrover Discovery Off-road
Occupation
Network, IoT, and Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked up a fully loaded Rubicon JLU. I took it on my first highway/Interstate short trip. The Jeep wanders a lot in the lane and the steering is vague and a little abrupt when correcting with lots of roll. I don't remember my older Jeeps driving this way.

So do I have an alignment / toe in issue or is this normal for these now?

Advertisement

BillG

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
First of all check tire pressure. Factory and or dealer overfills these horribly. Try about 37 or so. Helps a lot.

OP
Dadawada

Dadawada

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited on 35's, 2017 BMW R1200GS Adventure, 2018 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse 116, 2002 Landrover Discovery Off-road
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
First of all check tire pressure. Factory and or dealer overfills these horribly. Try about 37 or so. Helps a lot.
Perfect, thanks a lot. I did notice they had the tire pressure between 41 and 43 on the four.

Nubby

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 1967 Type2 S042, 1962 Type2 Kombi, 2009 IS350, 2007 F150
Just finished a 4K road trip. Awesome road tripper!

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, Punk'n
Some people have also suggested pulling the wheel closer to you, ie telescoping, not moving your seat forward. I was worried about my Sport S because it wandered a lot. It was hard to keep up to speed on the highway while staying in my lane. Putting some miles on my Jeep also helped, 1-2K. I'm MUCH happier with the steering performance now after a few months of ownership.

jeepman18

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade Trailhawk. Waiting on JL Rubicon 2.0L
Agree with the tire pressure, mine was delivered at 42psi, lowered to 36ish as per the door sticker and ride is much better

OP
Dadawada

Dadawada

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Got them aired down to 37. Notice some difference but there is still a lot of wander.

Are the stock tires actually filled with nitrogen?

My tires have the little caps that say "Nitrogen". But I've noticed when I drive and the tires heat up, they increase in pressure some. I didn't think nitrogen did that.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Porsche Sales
I lowered my stock rubi wheels down to 33psi. most of the wondering is gone and is much improved. 2500 miles on here now.

Now, I was having fun in the dirt this weekend and knocked my alignment out, but that's a different story

WXman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You're noticing what so many others are. The JL drives like s****.

It has NOTHING to do with tires. So don't waste your time there.

Just yesterday, FCA released a TSB on this issue which may be the fix we've all been waiting for. It involves reprogramming the software to change the electric motor assist ratio. Check with your dealership to see if they can do this update for you and it may really help!

Mine PCM was flashed about two weeks ago and my Jeep drives considerably better now.

Space ace

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
You're noticing what so many others are. The JL drives like s****.

It has NOTHING to do with tires. So don't waste your time there.

Just yesterday, FCA released a TSB on this issue which may be the fix we've all been waiting for. It involves reprogramming the software to change the electric motor assist ratio. Check with your dealership to see if they can do this update for you and it may really help!

Mine PCM was flashed about two weeks ago and my Jeep drives considerably better now.
Incorrect on the TSB.. that TSB is for low power assist at highway speeds while system is cold.. meaning it takes a lot of effort to turn the wheels, like a loss of power steering, not the wandering, constantly correcting, dead spot center in the steering..

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Incorrect on the TSB.. that TSB is for low power assist at highway speeds while system is cold.. meaning it takes a lot of effort to turn the wheels, like a loss of power steering, not the wandering, constantly correcting, dead spot center in the steering..
Good news, I just learned how to "un" Bookmark a post. :)

1idrod

First Name
David
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
I've got mine down to 32psi and what a difference it made. I kept creeping down little by little and feel it's perfect now. Mines a 2 door so I'd say you should be good in the 35-37 range.

Texcal

First Name
Erik
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
This is my first Wrangler so I don't have anything to compare it against. My steering seems fine. Oh, my tires were at 47psi when I picked it up! Now I cruise around 36psi.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I just picked up a fully loaded Rubicon JLU. I took it on my first highway/Interstate short trip. The Jeep wanders a lot in the lane and the steering is vague and a little abrupt when correcting with lots of roll. I don't remember my older Jeeps driving this way.

So do I have an alignment / toe in issue or is this normal for these now?
I would be taking it back to the dealer. Mine rode like a car new, and now with the lift, rides/handles better; TP around 35 with the summer roads raising it up.

Advertisement

Chrysler Factory Warranty

Advertisement