Highway driving

JesperJeep

First Name
Jesper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2018 Sahara Unlmtd
I am new to the Wrangler family. Just purchased a 2018 Sahara Unlmtd JL with 3.5” Teraflex lift, Fox shocks, 17” Raceline wheel & 37” Cooper Discovered STT tires. Driving around town has been great, but got on the highway and once I hit 60mph, I lost a lot of confidence. Any little nuance in the road moved me side to side quite a bit. 2 hands on the wheel and ultra focus is required.

Are there any simple things I can try to help on the highway? Is a different wheel/tire combo a possible quick fix?

Just in case this helps as far as extra weight, I also have a Rugged Ridge full length steel front bumper & Smittyblit 9500 winch.

4BF8FA4B-6D82-47CD-8067-0944046307F0.jpeg
Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Are the front and rear track bars stock?

What tire pressure are you running? A tire with that large a foot print, will tend to grab all the imperfections in the road and pull the steering around a bit.

Was the TSB performed replacing the factory aluminum steering box with the new cast iron one?

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I am new to the Wrangler family. Just purchased a 2018 Sahara Unlmtd JL with 3.5” Teraflex lift, Fox shocks, 17” Raceline wheel & 37” Cooper Discovered STT tires. Driving around town has been great, but got on the highway and once I hit 60mph, I lost a lot of confidence. Any little nuance in the road moved me side to side quite a bit. 2 hands on the wheel and ultra focus is required.

Are there any simple things I can try to help on the highway? Is a different wheel/tire combo a possible quick fix?

Just in case this helps as far as extra weight, I also have a Rugged Ridge full length steel front bumper & Smittyblit 9500 winch.

4BF8FA4B-6D82-47CD-8067-0944046307F0.jpeg
Were there any other upgrades made underneath to accommodate the lift and 37s?

Thats a lot to ask of stock parts if not. Most would want upgraded axles, regearing, steering stabilizer, etc. I will let those that run 37s chime in but knowing the above will help them give u good advice.

on the bright side your jeep looks fantastic. I wish mine looked like that but all I have are puny 35s 😢

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Components you have are likely fine.
For testing I'd remove the stabilizer temporarily, and go drive, see if the result is the same or worse, if worse, then just start with all the basics of alignment, check toe for sure and just work your way through the process, ball joints, etc., and work your way up to the steering box. There are a million Utube video and in this forum on the best practices,
Just don't throw money at new parts until you know what's up.

WaX

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Stinks you didn't actually take it for a real test drive before buying. Your avatar and pic in your post leads me to believe you bought from a dealer. Take it back and let them make it right...

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
It might need a better alignment with the caster up to about 6 or as close as you can get it.

I have 2021 with 3" lift and 37s. No steering or pulling issues at all and I've been up to 85 mph so far.
I did add the Mopar track bars, Falcon steering stabilizer, and SterSmarts track bar.
I would say alignment and adjustable track bar would do the most improvement for pulling, swaying, drifting type of steering issues.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
More caster goes a long way for freeway drive ability. I'd say 6⁰ is minimum, we run closer to 8⁰. As far as axle upgrades, regearing, etc, none of those will have any effect on handling. If it's the base teraflex 3.5" kit your caster is totally out of whack as it doesn't come with longer lower control arms. Adjustable lower control arms and more caster will make a night and day difference.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
It might need a better alignment with the caster up to about 6 or as close as you can get it.

I have 2021 with 3" lift and 37s. No steering or pulling issues at all and I've been up to 85 mph so far.
I did add the Mopar track bars, Falcon steering stabilizer, and SterSmarts track bar.
I would say alignment and adjustable track bar would do the most improvement for pulling, swaying, drifting type of steering issues.
More caster goes a long way for freeway drive ability. I'd say 6⁰ is minimum, we run closer to 8⁰. As far as axle upgrades, regearing, etc, none of those will have any effect on handling. If it's the base teraflex 3.5" kit your caster is totally out of whack as it doesn't come with longer lower control arms. Adjustable lower control arms and more caster will make a night and day difference.
These guys got you. Get some adjustable lower front control arms and get your caster to 7 or so and you will find it driving much better.

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door

Jeep Wrangler JL Highway driving 4BF8FA4B-6D82-47CD-8067-0944046307F0
Make sure your tires aren't over-inflated. Also a more street-oriented tire with a less aggressive tread might help.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JesperJeep

JesperJeep

First Name
Jesper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2018 Sahara Unlmtd
Make sure your tires aren't over-inflated. Also a more street-oriented tire with a less aggressive tread might help.
Tires were about 36 psi. I dropped to 32 psi and it feels better, but not great. Making progress. Thank you.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I know you're frustrated and the guys here will get you set in the right direction. I will second new lower control arms to get 6 degrees of caster. Those 37" Cooper are very heavy. 32psi is probably a good pressure for them.

On a side note, for anyone on the fence. If you are new to the game, buy a stock one. Get used to how it drives and decide on how you want to mod it. Develop a relationship with a shop so that you can discuss the pros and cons of each mod for real world use and how well it works for them from the sales and install side.

Your Jeep is by no means unfixable. Go to a few of your local off road shops and talk with them. Consider it an interview on whether you want to hire them to be the ones who you trust to fix issues with your Jeep.

Keep in mind also that you Sahara has 3.45 gears, it's doubtful the previous owner changed them. It also has a lighter duty M186 front axle. The stock ball joints are weak and have plastic in them. They wear quick with a heavy wheel and tire combo.

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Tires were about 36 psi. I dropped to 32 psi and it feels better, but not great. Making progress. Thank you.
If you got a 2018 like me, then you just opened a whole new can of worms with this JL and lots of BS to deal with down the road my friend!

First and foremost, get the all the steering TSB/recalls done (this has fixed majority of my steering issues), don't worry about an alignment until everything in the steering department has been fixed/replaced properly.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I know you're frustrated and the guys here will get you set in the right direction. I will second new lower control arms to get 6 degrees of caster. Those 37" Cooper are very heavy. 32psi is probably a good pressure for them.

On a side note, for anyone on the fence. If you are new to the game, buy a stock one. Get used to how it drives and decide on how you want to mod it. Develop a relationship with a shop so that you can discuss the pros and cons of each mod for real world use and how well it works for them from the sales and install side.

Your Jeep is by no means unfixable. Go to a few of your local off road shops and talk with them. Consider it an interview on whether you want to hire them to be the ones who you trust to fix issues with your Jeep.

Keep in mind also that you Sahara has 3.45 gears, it's doubtful the previous owner changed them. It also has a lighter duty M186 front axle. The stock ball joints are weak and have plastic in them. They wear quick with a heavy wheel and tire combo.
I’ve been happy with my stock Sahara and Bridgestone Duelers. I know they are not true AT tires but they’ve been so comfy on the road and handle well from the times I’ve used them in snow and off roading in the 6 months I’ve had it.

I’ve followed everyone’s advice. I’m keeping the Jeep stock until it doesn’t do what I need it to do.
Where my money has gone is camping gear and a roof top tent. The possibilities are endless now where the wife and I can go.

Really happy to have stayed stock and so far I haven’t had one issue. I’m sure over the course of the next year or two, mods will come up and present them as necessary through our many soon to be camping trips. Cheers!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
How many miles does the Jeep have on it? I would still run the tires a little lower in tire pressure. Try 28 psi. If you have much over 35,000 miles or so on the Jeep, and the 37s have been on the Jeep for a while, do not be surprised if the ball joints are in need of being replaced. The longevity of the stock ball joints are not great with big tires. All 6 of the JLURs that we run that are around 40,000+ miles have had the ball joints replaced or we are waiting for the ball joints to come in so we can replace them.

With that said, try 28 psi in the tires first. It might solve your problem.
Sponsored