emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everybody. Wanted to start a thread about the ordering process so people know how it works and what to expect.
I plan ordering a 2019 2dr JLR when the 2019 order banks open up. Here are some general questions but feel free to chime in with other aspects of the process.

How much money is required to start the order process or is it done on good faith?
Does the dealer run your credit before ordering or when your Jeep arrives?
Are all the numbers and financing worked out at the time of the order or when the Jeep arrives?
If making a down payment, Is it done when you order or when the Jeep arrives?
If you spend money to place an order is it refundable if you decide not to take delivery?
Add on's and Mopar upgrades... How does that work?

I'm sure I could think of a thousand questions but would like a general synopsis of the whole process.
Thanks
Sponsored

isueyou

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I ordered my 18 JLUR in early January and took delivery in Later Feb. I think I can answer most of these, but the general answer is it depends. Also I think the way I ordered wont apply to most.

Im here lurking because I have a problem with the 2 inch mopar lift and may be lemoning it. So I am interested in finding more info about the 2019s, and when production/ordering maybe available.

I went in to the dealer with very specific details of what I wanted in the car, and the price. I went in hoping for under invoice, but settled at invoice. I didnt pay any money or sign any paperwork until I took delivery of the vehicle. This was because I wanted the car ASAP, and the dealer could not promise a delivery date. So my situation again is going to be different then most. The dealer ordered my unit, establishing if I wanted the car when it came it would be mine, or if I went another route by the time mine came in, the dealer would just sell my specific unit to the public on the lot.

That being said, I did not put any money down, it was done in good faith.
I would go to a credit union with a preapproved loan so you dont have to deal with any of FCA or allied financing, and their expensive rates.
All numbers/payment (including down payment) in my situation was worked out when I took delivery of the vehicle.
I added the 2 inch mopar lift and installation to my end sticker price. (The lift being on the sticker helped me out particularly as it shows to the dealer my intentions of what I want to do to the car at the time the contract was formed. Now that the lift has a problem it actually was nice to have it on their. I think if I were to order the 2019, I would add the snorkel and lift again. Possibly try to negotiate the tires, and have it come with 35s. (ive heard of this happening just havent tried it myself).

OP
OP
emoody007

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my 18 JLUR in early January and took delivery in Later Feb. I think I can answer most of these, but the general answer is it depends. Also I think the way I ordered wont apply to most.

Im here lurking because I have a problem with the 2 inch mopar lift and may be lemoning it. So I am interested in finding more info about the 2019s, and when production/ordering maybe available.

I went in to the dealer with very specific details of what I wanted in the car, and the price. I went in hoping for under invoice, but settled at invoice. I didnt pay any money or sign any paperwork until I took delivery of the vehicle. This was because I wanted the car ASAP, and the dealer could not promise a delivery date. So my situation again is going to be different then most. The dealer ordered my unit, establishing if I wanted the car when it came it would be mine, or if I went another route by the time mine came in, the dealer would just sell my specific unit to the public on the lot.

That being said, I did not put any money down, it was done in good faith.
I would go to a credit union with a preapproved loan so you dont have to deal with any of FCA or allied financing, and their expensive rates.
All numbers/payment (including down payment) in my situation was worked out when I took delivery of the vehicle.
I added the 2 inch mopar lift and installation to my end sticker price. (The lift being on the sticker helped me out particularly as it shows to the dealer my intentions of what I want to do to the car at the time the contract was formed. Now that the lift has a problem it actually was nice to have it on their. I think if I were to order the 2019, I would add the snorkel and lift again. Possibly try to negotiate the tires, and have it come with 35s. (ive heard of this happening just havent tried it myself).
That's some great info. Fortunately I have a friend high up in corporate for a nation wide chain. I plan on doing a decent amount of Mopar Mods... Lift, Wheels, Tires etc.. As a favor the Jeep will be a bit of a break even for the specific dealer I'll be using, but just like dealing with the Mob, I'll most likely have to return the favor at some point.. lol. Based on the info you provided it sounds like I should run the Mopar stuff by the dealer and get a verbal agreement of what all I want done and the pricing. You bring up a good point about financing... I guess as my order gets closer to shipping I'll start shopping loans... This will give me more time for larger down payment and the best rate.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
Hey everybody. Wanted to start a thread about the ordering process so people know how it works and what to expect.
I plan ordering a 2019 2dr JLR when the 2019 order banks open up. Here are some general questions but feel free to chime in with other aspects of the process.

How much money is required to start the order process or is it done on good faith?
Does the dealer run your credit before ordering or when your Jeep arrives?
Are all the numbers and financing worked out at the time of the order or when the Jeep arrives?
If making a down payment, Is it done when you order or when the Jeep arrives?
If you spend money to place an order is it refundable if you decide not to take delivery?
Add on's and Mopar upgrades... How does that work?

I'm sure I could think of a thousand questions but would like a general synopsis of the whole process.
Thanks

My experience was considerably different than Sam's (isueyou). I'll try address each one of these based on where I sit now...

Since I have a special order, the dealer required a $500 deposit. Some dealers will, however, order in good faith while others require up to $1000. It really depends on the dealer.

The dealer should not run your credit before ordering. That said, I haven't checked my credit report to see if one was run. They did require a copy of my driver's license to order though. Otherwise, they have no reason to run a credit report unless you are financing through FCA or one of their affiliated banks.

I signed a Bill of Sale...so yes...my pricing was determined at the time of order. I do not expect to pay any more or less than what was agreed to.

The down payment is done when you take delivery. However, if you put a deposit down (in my case, the $500), that is applied to the purchase price. So in essence, I have already put $500 down on it.

While I hope to not have to request a refund....I have heard conflicting stories about deposit refunds. If your jeep is taking an extraordinarily long time to come in or you find something in your inspection once it arrives, and you just decide to cancel the order because of it, my guess is that the dealer wouldn't give you too much grief on the deposit. If you cancel because you found one at another dealer, it really depends on how generous the dealer is. Some swear that a dealer CAN'T withhold it no matter what, but I'm really not positive on this one. Like I said, I hope I don't have to find out.

Not sure I follow the last question...are you saying prior to order or after the order is placed? Either way, don't really have much info on this one. I know some on the forum have purchased the 2 inch lift from the dealer and had it installed when the jeep comes in. And I'm assuming that either this was negotiated in the deal, or they are just paying separately to have it done.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
My experience was exactly as @VolCntry73 with the exception of $1,000 down, apparently due to the specifics of my build and the agreed upon price being less than invoice. I had no reason to argue with the $1k down as I knew it was applied to the price. The good news is that if for what ever reason I didn't want the vehicle, the deposit is 100% refundable.

Sponsored

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
any updates here?

looking to place an order but with chip shortage I've been "warned" it could take longer than 5 weeks. Are deposits refundable? not down payment, but deposits, well down payment too I guess if stated.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
any updates here?

looking to place an order but with chip shortage I've been "warned" it could take longer than 5 weeks. Are deposits refundable? not down payment, but deposits, well down payment too I guess if stated.
Orders typically took 6-10 weeks anyway.

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
anyone know if deposits are refundable? right now I'm basing my buying on selling my car via carvana estimate but if that changes drastically in the say next 10 weeks I may have to back out of my order

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
anyone know if deposits are refundable? right now I'm basing my buying on selling my car via carvana estimate but if that changes drastically in the say next 10 weeks I may have to back out of my order
Had a few dealers while trying to start the build process tell me it was NOT refundable. Those dealers also wanted a $4k deposit!

I put my $1k deposit down after finding a good dealer and I was told that it was indeed refundable so long as the reasoning was good.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
anyone know if deposits are refundable?
Mark, the amount of the deposit and if it is refundable will vary from dealer to dealer. When I ordered a year ago I wasn't asked to make a deposit.