Sponsored

flat tow

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
The way the harness and wiring is set up, it's designed for the switch to mount under the seat bracket on the passenger side and all the wiring is under the plastic cover you see between the switch and the door sill. I'd assume you could route the switch elsewhere, but you'd have to add your own wiring extensions to do so. I like having the switch where it is, but I didn't like the accidental switching of it. The cover I added was < $7, which seemed cheaper than buying wire to move it elsewhere.
Don’t want to add wire to relocate butbhow about on the inside of the seat bracket where it can’t be kicked and isn’t visible?

Is there enough wire to do that?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rhinebeck01 Thanks! I thought it turned out pretty nice. Even matches the red on the interior :)
Yes, it did! And for those that do not like red, that cover can easily be had in other colors to include black.

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
@Rhinebeck01 Absolutely. There were a TON of color options.

@psw757 The bracket the kit comes with allows the switch to be mounted one way and one way only. If you put the switch to the inside, you'd have a bunch of wires running around the outside of the seat. Worst case, you could always just loosen the nut on the switch and rotate it 90 degrees so it flips forward/backward instead of up/down. Orient it in the way that works best for your setup and preference.

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
@bwilliam79

Perhaps you could take a minute to post here what was involved in the placement/install of that switch cover for those that are interested..
Certainly. Is linking products frowned upon here? I'd be happy to share some links and instructions. It was super simple.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR

Moytz

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK
Do you have power problems with your brake buddy in your JL? I plugged mine into the lighter outlet but it’s only 12v. The brake buddy needs a little more volts.

I also have the all-weather mats and it worked fine. I even ran a second wire (my BrakeBuddy break away switch) through it as it was the easiest way to get to the front.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
Do you have power problems with your brake buddy in your JL? I plugged mine into the lighter outlet but it’s only 12v. The brake buddy needs a little more volts.
It would not require more volts bit will require more amps. Check the amperage specs for the Brake Buddy and then bring power in from your fuse box to a dedicate BrkBud plug.

Moytz

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK
It would not require more volts bit will require more amps. Check the amperage specs for the Brake Buddy and then bring power in from your fuse box to a dedicate BrkBud plug.
Thank you

Sponsored

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
The 12v outlet on the dash is only hot when ign/Acdc is on correct? So it won’t work while towing if I’m not mistaken.

I’m installing a 12v battery direct plug under steering wheel from rvi brake. Had one on my previous jk, worked great.

FLSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-door Rubicon & 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk
The 12v outlet on the dash is only hot when ign/Acdc is on correct? So it won’t work while towing if I’m not mistaken.

Correct … the 12V outlet on the dash is hot only when the key is on ... so it won't work for the Brake Buddy. I use the 12V plug in the cargo bay to power my unit as it's hot all the time. So far I have only used it in a test situation and have not towed for a long distance, but for the test it worked fine.

FLSteve

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Correct … the 12V outlet on the dash is hot only when the key is on ... so it won't work for the Brake Buddy. I use the 12V plug in the cargo bay to power my unit as it's hot all the time. So far I have only used it in a test situation and have not towed for a long distance, but for the test it worked fine.
All - You are absolutely correct about the 12v on the dash being switched on/off with ignition. However, we have a kit that installs in about 5 minutes that will make this outlet 12v ALL of the time. You can then use the outlet for you Aux Braking Devices or simply to keep charging your phone when you are out of the vehicle. Our "PowerPort" kit can be found following this link: http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/111-jl-powerport-kit.html

Luco

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 GMC 2500 HD, 2010 Seneca Motorhome on Chevrolet C5500
All - You are absolutely correct about the 12v on the dash being switched on/off with ignition. However, we have a kit that installs in about 5 minutes that will make this outlet 12v ALL of the time. You can then use the outlet for you Aux Braking Devices or simply to keep charging your phone when you are out of the vehicle. Our "PowerPort" kit can be found following this link: http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/111-jl-powerport-kit.html
That’s a handy little Jumper. Just place an order.

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
Just had the cooltech harness installed with my blue ox baseplate and wondering how you all are dealing with the wire going through floor drain?

I have the all weather mats and now can no longer snap the mats into the floor as intended. Any solutions?
Sponsored