First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cliff538.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
No regrets! You won’t either. Great choice on tires, and you’ll be surprised how little they affect your JL. Don’t even look back. There’s no way I would put anything smaller than 37’s on a JL Rubicon. Here’s a couple flex pics from tonight. No spacers and factory wheels.

F8AE370D-E670-4345-95E1-922D8AAEFCF8.jpeg

B928A34C-70E8-4963-A1C4-86FAE64003F3.jpeg

3DEAD855-46D3-4CAD-B13C-5DB72DD32D21.jpeg
Awesome, thank you, I really appreciate it!
Sponsored

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
I would have ordered that tire too if I had gotten a Sport. I eventually order the Rubicon so I wanted to go up to 35”. You will still have to do a small lift won’t you?
i’m going to throw on a teraflex level kit as soon as they’re out to get more clearance, then start to explore lifts. until then, will have to avoid any serious flexing

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'll bump this post! Would love to know too.
Planning the Cooper STT Pros in a 35.

What can I expect with highway cruising?
Problem I see/found with Cooper STT Pro 35"s is they are all E rated tire for that size. Unless you drop way down or go up in size you can't get a Cooper in a 17" rim that makes any load rating sense?

I almost feel forced to jump to the Cooper 37X12.50R17LT as a D rated and one of the lighter 37"s out there. Still researching tho.. I'd feel I should start with a 35" but I may cave for the 37"...

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Problem I see/found with Cooper STT Pro 35"s is they are all E rated tire for that size. Unless you drop way down or go up in size you can't get a Cooper in a 17" rim that makes any load rating sense?

I almost feel forced to jump to the Cooper 37X12.50R17LT as a D rated and one of the lighter 37"s out there. Still researching tho.. I'd feel I should start with a 35" but I may cave for the 37"...
I keep saying it. On a Rubi, don’t even fool with 35’s. Waste of money. Go straight to 37’s. Otherwise you’ll be looking at pics of 37’s kicking yourself all the way back to the tire shop. Been there, done it.

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I keep saying it. On a Rubi, don’t even fool with 35’s. Waste of money. Go straight to 37’s. Otherwise you’ll be looking at pics of 37’s kicking yourself all the way back to the tire shop. Been there, done it.
You are definitely appealing to my dark side! TBH the other costs of the mopar tailgate bracket, MPG loss, possible re-gear, 2.5" lift, etc that make me wonder if that cost is worth it?

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are definitely appealing to my dark side! TBH the other costs of the mopar tailgate bracket, MPG loss, possible re-gear, 2.5" lift, etc that make me wonder if that cost is worth it?
No reason for a tailgate bracket, you didn’t buy a JL for MPG and no reason for a regear. All you’re in it for is a 2.5” lift. Hell, you don’t even need spacers with your factory wheels. Proof. It flexes nicely with just a few adjustments. A little road up the mountain behind my house.

EC98504E-9A6B-4018-A5EC-3C052AA18B58.jpeg

52DC61F9-C40E-4EEE-A274-471B0B056233.jpeg

75A4E8C6-3AC1-4442-83CA-EBDB477DF8C9.jpeg

Last edited:

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What MPG are you getting after the 37s? Highway? City?
I’m not really sure. I have yet to correct the speedo. I imagine somewhere around 17-18 on the highway. Not sure about city. I don’t pay attention anymore. I did reset everything a few days ago and the dash said 22 mpg on my little trip to grand junction, co. My wife commented on it.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Onlyone, great pics. I have a similar set up on my Rubi - 37s, stock rims,Rubicon express lift and love it. At this time I only rub at the rear/back of the inner fender liner(small pop out area). I don’t want to remove that part of the rear inner fender liner yet. It would be great if there was an aftermarket replacement soon..I have seen the heat gun trick to remold.How about you-any tips. Thanks

F4DEDBC0-E097-47FB-BFF8-40406276C72B.jpeg

image.jpg

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Onlyone, great pics. I have a similar set up on my Rubi - 37s, stock rims,Rubicon express lift and love it. At this time I only rub at the rear/back of the inner fender liner(small pop out area). I don’t want to remove that part of the rear inner fender liner yet. It would be great if there was an aftermarket replacement soon..I have seen the heat gun trick to remold.How about you-any tips. Thanks

F4DEDBC0-E097-47FB-BFF8-40406276C72B.jpeg

image.jpg
I just used a small torch with indirect heat to remold it back. Rubbing fixed. It doesn’t take much heat.

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
No reason for a tailgate bracket, you didn’t buy a JL for MPG and no reason for a regear. All you’re in it for is a 2.5” lift. Hell, you don’t even need spacers with your factory wheels. Proof. It flexes nicely with just a few adjustments. A little road up the mountain behind my house.
If I go 37"s it will be a MT and likely the Cooper STT Pro's in a 37X12.50R17 D rated tire on factory rims for starting. Those tires are listed at 75lbs plus the factory rim is supposedly ~22lbs so that puts me well over the 85lbs limit of the tailgate. Pretty sure I'd need/want the mopar reinforcement that costs $625 bux to be safe. I'm mostly convinced this is the right answer... most of my driving is in town and fairly short distance so I rarely will care that much about 8th gear. Maybe I'll need to eventually re-gear but I can live with out that for a while. I'm sure I will greatly appreciate the 37"s when i get it out of town, off road, and hopefully more than I like 8th gear or good MPG! :)

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I go 37"s it will be a MT and likely the Cooper STT Pro's in a 37X12.50R17 D rated tire on factory rims for starting. Those tires are listed at 75lbs plus the factory rim is supposedly ~22lbs so that puts me well over the 85lbs limit of the tailgate. Pretty sure I'd need/want the mopar reinforcement that costs $625 bux to be safe. I'm mostly convinced this is the right answer... most of my driving is in town and fairly short distance so I rarely will care that much about 8th gear. Maybe I'll need to eventually re-gear but I can live with out that for a while. I'm sure I will greatly appreciate the 37"s when i get it out of town, off road, and hopefully more than I like 8th gear or good MPG! :)
Just know that Jeep built that tailgate to hold 85 lbs over stock for their trail rail system. Just like the JK before could hold 50 lbs over stock. So that 85 is in addition to the stock spare so you have plenty of leeway. They brought that reinforcement in for all the addditonal weight the trail rail and other things you would mount to it. Just some info for you to make a informed decision.
There is nothing wrong with the mopar bracket. I’m sure it’s a good unit that give certain people some peace of mind, but it’s not something that I would ever purchase. I don’t plan on ever attaching any additional items to it that would necessitate the reinforcement kit.

As far as 37’s I think you’ll be blown away with how nothing really changes. It really drives about same as it did stock. Good luck and post some pics. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. Hit me up we can go run Holy Cross or something.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I’ve found 2 C rated options in a 35” x 17” tire:

BFG Ko2 315 x 70R x 17 C
Nitto Trail Grappler 35 x 11.5 x 17 C (this one is about 1 inch narrower tread width)
Right now on my JK i have a C rated tire. Its a good year MTR 35 12.50 17. it has the kelvar side walls for extra protection and does ride soft with the C rated tire. Max air is only 35 psi

JackAttack

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Turbo
Occupation
FCA District Manager
Just know that Jeep built that tailgate to hold 85 lbs over stock for their trail rail system. Just like the JK before could hold 50 lbs over stock. So that 85 is in addition to the stock spare so you have plenty of leeway. They brought that reinforcement in for all the addditonal weight the trail rail and other things you would mount to it. Just some info for you to make a informed decision.
There is nothing wrong with the mopar bracket. I’m sure it’s a good unit that give certain people some peace of mind, but it’s not something that I would ever purchase. I don’t plan on ever attaching any additional items to it that would necessitate the reinforcement kit.

As far as 37’s I think you’ll be blown away with how nothing really changes. It really drives about same as it did stock. Good luck and post some pics. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. Hit me up we can go run Holy Cross or something.

I'm getting a JKS 2.5" lift & 37" Cooper STT Pro's installed this summer.. just waiting for the 2.0T to be taken out of containment.

I'm in the Eagle area wheeling often.. we should link up in Aug/Sept!

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm getting a JKS 2.5" lift & 37" Cooper STT Pro's installed this summer.. just waiting for the 2.0T to be taken out of containment.

I'm in the Eagle area wheeling often.. we should link up in Aug/Sept!
Sounds good! Just let me know when.
Sponsored