Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
My response;
Dear Oliver,
“19A recall is still do not have a remedy repair and no parts available.”
I have had the remedy repair done and the parts were available. The documents reflect that the jeep was fixed, with new parts by professionals. Instead of waiting for your company to come up with a third attempt at making my Jeep safe, I made it safe. This expense was because of the poor design of the clutch system that is causing fires at highway speeds.
Yeah, be a smartass to customer service. That will get you somewhere.
Sponsored

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
If I understand correctly as long as you don’t go back to C you should be good and it’ll be built eventually, it’s probably just pushed back while they figure out how to fix it
I fixed my “where the hell is my Willys” issue. And fixed my have to regear the 3:45 issue. Picked this up today 17345 miles. 2.5 years more warranty. $31,000. Cold Weather Tow package and a few more goodies!
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators AEDE6785-6B51-4BF6-964A-64D391CDEA1F

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
The manual shows you what gear you’re in? That’s pretty cool
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but there are stories in The Clutch Gang with spouses and adult children dropping Jeeps into 3rd and trying to leave the driveway. Clutches that caused enough of a smoke cloud to bring over the neighbors.

It seems the dash visual gear indicator has been of some assistance, though of course they still have the default indicator: The position of the knob.

ps As far as I recall, that smoked clutch has not failed.

Stengaaa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy sonic, soon wrangler Jl 2 door
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but there are stories in The Clutch Gang with spouses and adult children dropping Jeeps into 3rd and trying to leave the driveway. Clutches that caused enough of a smoke cloud to bring over the neighbors.

It seems the dash visual gear indicator has been of some assistance, though of course they still have the default indicator: The position of the knob.

ps As far as I recall, that smoked clutch has not failed.
I just honestly wasn’t aware it’d tell you what gear you were in, I’m used to my 92 where you just have to know

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I fixed my “where the hell is my Willys” issue. And fixed my have to regear the 3:45 issue. Picked this up today 17345 miles. 2.5 years more warranty. $31,000. Cold Weather Tow package and a few more goodies!
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators AEDE6785-6B51-4BF6-964A-64D391CDEA1F
auto ? not sure about the side steps .

Fredmilo

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 1995 YJ, 1950 M38
Yeah, be a smartass to customer service. That will get you somewhere.
I thought Customer Service was being a smart ass. I sent Customer Service a reimbursement form with documentation that the jeep was repaired with new parts and eliminating Safety Recall 19A. The response from Jeep was sorry, “your request for reimbursement is denied because there is no known repair for this problem and no parts are available.” Well since I sent him scanned proof the repair was done with parts (Centerforce II clutch/ flywheel kit) and professional installation, his answer made no sense. Then he recommends for me to wait for the third Safety Recall to come out and they will schedule my service. Why would they service my newly installed clutch system? They wouldn’t, makes no sense. Answer me this;
A. “You should wait until the third Safety Recall is issued, then schedule for service.” What does that mean? Can I drive the rig or not? There is one Safety Recall NOT complied with and another one coming? The insinuation is Safety is a concern.
B. Let’s say you decide to drive the rig and it catches fire and burns to the ground. No one injured. Do you think your insurance company could avoid paying your claim when they find out you are driving a vehicle with two Safety Recalls not complied with?
Customer service should make sense.

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
I just honestly wasn’t aware it’d tell you what gear you were in, I’m used to my 92 where you just have to know
If it makes you feel better I also had no idea it has this feature. I don't have my display set to the speedometer though maybe that's why I never noticed.

At least it doesn't have what my old Saturn had where there was a lighted arrow that would appear to tell you when to shift.

Stengaaa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it makes you feel better I also had no idea it has this feature. I don't have my display set to the speedometer though maybe that's why I never noticed.

At least it doesn't have what my old Saturn had where there was a lighted arrow that would appear to tell you when to shift.
My 92 c1500 has that but honestly I would always just shift based off feeling technically it doesn’t have a tachometer either, my dad added one aftermarket when he got it but i don’t really even look at that

Sponsored

izolate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLR 3.6L V6 6sp
If the root cause of the clutch issue can indeed be traced back to the design decisions made while implementing ESS, it only adds to my negative view of ESS. I've already disabled ESS permanently, and for my 2023 JLR MT, I have two options depending on the nature of the recall fix:
  1. If the solution involves a hardware replacement or a new clutch plate, then I'll opt for that.
  2. However, if the recall fix is merely another software update, I'll consider the possibility of switching to a CF clutch.

Stengaaa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the root cause of the clutch issue can indeed be traced back to the design decisions made while implementing ESS, it only adds to my negative view of ESS. I've already disabled ESS permanently, and for my 2023 JLR MT, I have two options depending on the nature of the recall fix:
  1. If the solution involves a hardware replacement or a new clutch plate, then I'll opt for that.
  2. However, if the recall fix is merely another software update, I'll consider the possibility of switching to a CF clutch.
It’s probably just me being hopeful but the fact that they paused manual production I’m thinking it might be the 1st one if they were planning on a software update they would probably in my mind build it and then just update it when everything is ready

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I really love my 6sp. Aside from the clutch issues, which is a wet blanket on the whole drivetrain, it is very fun to me. I would never expect my Jeep transmission to feel like that of any of the street/track cars you cite. In fact, I would hope that it didn't.. The more tractor like it is, the better it is to my liking (i.e. low and slow).
And that is all that counts. We all have different tastes and opinions.

I agree with you that for some vehicles the odd shift action adds to the experience. I once drove an old dump truck in Brazil and you had to take your time and double clutch and lazily find your way from gear to gear. That was a really enjoyable challenge. But I did grind it a few times :)

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Any day of the week, I (and my wife for that matter) HATE automatics, we will choose a sloppy slush box and bad feeling clutch of computer controlled transmissions any day. Both of us have only had problems with automatics, and the overall aspect of driving is changed for the worse in our opinion.
Hey we all have choices. I can understand preferring a manual or an auto. But HATE for one with all caps is a bit much, no? :)

I like bolt actions and revolvers, but I don't hate the autoloaders :)
Sponsored