First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '16 F350, '18 Honda CR-V, '93 YJ, '07 HD
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Engineer, General Dynamics, Retired
Do all of the 2021 JLUR equipped with the 3.6 gas engine come equipped with the 48 volt starter/alternator? Looking to trade up my Jeep to a late model ('20-'22) Rubicon but I am not familiar with the gas/electric powerplant combo. It seems to have favorable reviews from those that have it.
Thanks!
Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
You can still order the non-eTorque v6 on the 4-door Rubicon and some other trims, but not on the 2-door Rubicon. The eTorque version will have the large 48V battery under the frame, while the non-eTorque version will have a small secondary battery under the hood for start/stop.

Edit; after looking a bit closer at the order guides and the build-and-price configurator, you can get the non-eTorque for most models (incl. the 2-door Rubi), but they all seem to require that you also get a manual transmission. Selecting an auto trans will force you into either the eTorque v6 or the 2.0T (and conversely, it doesn't seem like you can get the v6 eTorque with a manual).

Last edited:

Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the non-etorque model is only available on the 6spd manual though so consider your own personal use case and preference, but you can also order the 3.6L etorque with the 4.88 gears for only $895 which would be a great setup for 37/38s if you plan to go that route.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Kind of a newb question, but I've never understood what the eTorque V6 is and how it differs from the other 3.6L. Anyone be willing to explain? Also, what's the purpose of the 48V battery? Also, is a Mild-Hybrid even a Hybrid at all with such a small battery???

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
Kind of a newb question, but I've never understood what the eTorque V6 is and how it differs from the other 3.6L. Anyone be willing to explain? Also, what's the purpose of the 48V battery? Also, is a Mild-Hybrid even a Hybrid at all with such a small battery???
Basically, it combines the alternator and starter into a single “two-way” apparatus called a belt-start generator, or BSG. In the JL it has an electric boost to the engine that kicks in at low RPM; the 48V pack provides the power for this.

This differs from the 4Xe, which has a motor bank at the input shaft of the transmission, where the torque converter would normally be. It also has a much larger battery capacity.

Sponsored

Blacktip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR XR
Stay away from the e-torque system if you could. It is complicated system for little, if any, real benefits. However, it is not the end of the world if the Jeep you want comes with e-torque. Certain models configuration in 22 and 23 comes only with e-torque engine.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
Do all of the 2021 JLUR equipped with the 3.6 gas engine come equipped with the 48 volt starter/alternator? Looking to trade up my Jeep to a late model ('20-'22) Rubicon but I am not familiar with the gas/electric powerplant combo. It seems to have favorable reviews from those that have it.
Thanks!
The majority of auto/3.6 are eTorque but there were periods where Jeep did make the auto/non-eTorque (ESS) available to order. MY '21 is one of them.
If you decide against eTorque you might get lucky and find one. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
You can still order the non-eTorque v6 on the 4-door Rubicon and some other trims, but not on the 2-door Rubicon. The eTorque version will have the large 48V battery under the frame, while the non-eTorque version will have a small secondary battery under the hood for start/stop.

Edit; after looking a bit closer at the order guides and the build-and-price configurator, you can get the non-eTorque for most models (incl. the 2-door Rubi), but they all seem to require that you also get a manual transmission. Selecting an auto trans will force you into either the eTorque v6 or the 2.0T.
I ordered in 2023, JLR std V 6, auto trans, 4:88 gears

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I ordered in 2023, JLR std V 6, auto trans, 4:88 gears
Really? I specifically asked the dealer about getting a '23 2-door Rubicon with the non-eTorque v6 and was told it wasn't possible. Maybe something changed since then.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Really? I specifically asked the dealer about getting a '23 2-door Rubicon with the non-eTorque v6 and was told it wasn't possible. Maybe something changed since then.
My bad, my MSRP says its and e Torque engine...HUH, I got no idea what an eTorque engine is???

Jeep Wrangler JL Question re: mild hybrid 3.6L FILE_3131

Sponsored

OP
OP
HDSlowride

HDSlowride

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '16 F350, '18 Honda CR-V, '93 YJ, '07 HD
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Engineer, General Dynamics, Retired
I've been using the search on this forum and reading some of the longer threads comparing the eTorque to the ESS. Have to say the majority opinion leans toward favorable with the 48 volt system. Being a base on the Ram 1500 since 2000 (I think) adds a degree of comfort.

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
I believe that initially the e-Torque was only available on the 2.0 I4 turbo engine with auto, I think it was MY18-MY20. Then in MY21 it switched to the 3.6 V6 with auto and the 2.0 lost it.

So now (MY21 +) if you want a non e-Torque then you have to choose between the 2.0 I4 turbo or the 3.6 V6 with manual. Also the 392 V8 and the 3.0 I6 turbo diesel don't have it.

Tropikal

First Name
Rey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I'll do the best to explain this, sure others will chime in.

The eTorque system is a small Generator/Motor that replaces the alternator. The motor and the 48V battery provide a little extra assistance to the V6 engine in the lower RPMs, therefore improving fuel efficiency. It also provides a little more Torque in the lower RPM curve and seems like the electric start stop (ESS) is a lot smoother (reported by many users) since the engine uses the generator/motor portion to start the engine instead of the starter. The gas engine then moves/powers the generator to charge the 48V battery (just like an alternator). The 48V battery charges the 12V battery and powers the motor/generator assisting the engine.

So in essence is a hybrid system (Gas/Electric). But the electric portion only providing enough power to "assist" the main engine in some circumstances and the reason why the battery is so small. That's is what they call it "Mild Hybrid" the electric portion does not provide enough power to move the vehicle on its own. Is just to assist the engine a little bit, so it uses less gas.

So it has some benefits, but is way more complicated and therefore more things that can break or go bad.. That is not including the secondary cooling system and miles of cooling lines that keeps that electric system from overheating.

Hope this helps clarify some of your questions.
Cheers
Happy Jeeping

Blacktip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR XR
I posted this in the past, but here it is again.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
It also provides a little more Torque in the lower RPM curve and seems like the electric start stop (ESS) is a lot smoother (reported by many users) since the engine uses the generator/motor portion to start the engine instead of the starter.
Do you happen to know if the additional boost in torque is solely off-the-line from a stop and if so, only when coming from ESS engine-off stop? A RAM engineer stated in a video that the additional torque was only for a 1/4 wheel turn from a stop and that it was used to smooth out the shift points of the auto transmission. If true, I still have no idea if that 1/4 wheel turn applies to any take off from a stop, or only in ESS conditions.
Sponsored