Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you happen to know if the additional boost in torque is solely off-the-line from a stop and if so, only when coming from ESS engine-off stop? A RAM engineer stated in a video that the additional torque was only for a 1/4 wheel turn from a stop and that it was used to smooth out the shift points of the auto transmission. If true, I still have no idea if that 1/4 wheel turn applies to any take off from a stop, or only in ESS conditions.
In other threads owners have stated that it helps regardless of whether ESS is on or disabled, but I don't own one so trusting their experience.
Sponsored

Tropikal

First Name
Rey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Do you happen to know if the additional boost in torque is solely off-the-line from a stop and if so, only when coming from ESS engine-off stop? A RAM engineer stated in a video that the additional torque was only for a 1/4 wheel turn from a stop and that it was used to smooth out the shift points of the auto transmission. If true, I still have no idea if that 1/4 wheel turn applies to any take off from a stop, or only in ESS conditions.
I believe is off-the-line but can be used in other ways as you mentioned to smooth shifting but I have not seen any info or technical details on how this system fully functions and when power to the motor/generator is applied. I'm sure we will learn soon more about it. Regarding the 1/4 wheel turn term I believe was used by the engineer to explain that "only in the very beginning when the vehicle needs the most power" is when the systems is engaged. To me is hard to believe Jeep is measuring wheel rotation to engage or disengage the eTorque assistance. But is possible too, Jeep have the capability to measure wheel rotations and is used in the traction control system.
The supplemental torque provided by the system is off-the-line not when using ESS. You can turn off the ESS completely and the system still be able to provide the additional torque with the generator/motor. I have seen some places where jeep claims in the website the extra torque can be used for low RPM rock crawling " a mild-hybrid system that adds low-end torque for impressive starting power and exceptional rock crawling " but like I mentioned above, the details are absent, we don't know exactly how or when this extra torque is applied.

Reactions: AFD

whitechocolate

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 80th Edition
I love etorque on my 2door, it's smooth no lag like you have with ESS. It really grabs when you hit the gas. Going forward I wouldn't purchase a Jeep without the option due to the smoothness of everything. It feels like you're in a far more expensive vehicle.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Yes, the etorque system only provides initial boost (1/4 - 1/2 wheel turn) when starting from a stop, assisting the engine during the greatest load (rolling from a stop). Etorque also boosts very slightly during up shifts to help smooth the transmission shifting, as well as provide very slight engine breaking for downshifts. While underway, etorque supplies the majority of the electrical requirements for all the normal parasitic loads typically handled by an alternator, (freeing up the engine from that duty). Under braking, the etorque BSG (belt starter/generator) recharges the 48V etorque battery, which provides a bit of brake assist (I can feel it in mine). And lastly, the engine start provided by the BSG from a stop is much smoother than the starter motor based system. The BSG starts the engine with more torque and speed than a starter motor, and it's generally imperceptible.

There are those here that will warn you to "Stay away from it". But I'd be willing to say those warnings are from folks that don't have it.

I have this setup on my '22 3.6L/auto (I believe the only current Wrangler configuration that has etorque), and it works very well, am I a guy who initially didn't want it (but I require an automatic).

Wife's '22 X5 has this same basic system as well, and it's been great in that vehicle!

Not really an advocate for, or against etorque, just sharing my experience with it. 🙂

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Our 2018 JLR has the 3.6, with automatic. It does not have the e-torque. IMO..this is the best set up.

Der

First Name
JH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Sport S
I got my 2022 3.6 Auto built without e-torque, due to part shortage at the time... Maybe you can ask you dealer to keep an eye on such condition to get that combination, if you don't want e-torque. For me I don't notice missing much, given the non-etorque v6 is much cheaper than the etorque one.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I've been using the search on this forum and reading some of the longer threads comparing the eTorque to the ESS. Have to say the majority opinion leans toward favorable with the 48 volt system. Being a base on the Ram 1500 since 2000 (I think) adds a degree of comfort.
I know on my JLUD, comes with the ESS. I know you can get those connectors which will remember your selection between startups. I have one on my wife's Subaru Forester, it only cost like a hundred bucks. Not too bad!
On my wrangler JLUD I removed the hood open toggle which disabled the ESS by making the Jeep think the hood is open. After about 3 months of driving it I got the point where I don't even notice the constant lights on my dash and the dinging and notifications that my hood is open. Also probably a good part of the reason why my hood has some dents in it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Question re: mild hybrid 3.6L friends-joey-tribbiani (1)

If the start stop is part of the reason you don't want it, It's easily defeatable, with quite a few options to do so. Including I believe the Tazer JL will do it, if you plan on buying one anyways, it would be a good first purchase.

OhioJeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6 JL's and a Gladiator
We have a '21 3.6eTorque 2dr and a '21 2.0t non-etorque 2dr.

The 3.6etorque is slightly smoother if you enable ESS, but both combinations are smooth and powerful - can't go wrong with either.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The majority of auto/3.6 are eTorque but there were periods where Jeep did make the auto/non-eTorque (ESS) available to order. MY '21 is one of them.
In its own way, the 2021 model year was a sweet spot for the Wrangler. I could have the non-eTorque V6 or the non-eTorque Turbo 4 (I selected the latter), the halogen headlights are now pre-wired for the factory LED headlight retrofit, supply chain issues hadn't yet come to the fore*, and the upgraded steel steering box replaced the problematic aluminum one. I quickly disabled the nonsensical ESS with the proper harness, and that was that.

*At least in Autumn 2020, when I ordered and received my JLU.

Etorque also boosts very slightly during up shifts to help smooth the transmission shifting,
Mm. That, I'd have to experience for myself. I say this because my primary compliment regarding the 850RE in my Wrangler is the very smooth, almost transparent gear changes during regular acceleration. Yes, if I really press my right foot down, I'll hear and feel the shift points, but that's expected anyway, and even then, the gear changes aren't harsh.

I'll have my chance to test the function of the eTorque feature, since a family member expects to order a Wrangler so equipped in the next few months. 👍

Last edited:

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
It works very well and so far there haven't been many documented issues with it. Some people are afraid of new things or technology, and that is why it is great we currently have options.

If you buy new, you get an 8 year warranty for peace of mind.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
The e-torque system gets rid of the problematic secondary smaller battery.
On the other hand, the plus of the ESS system is you can disable start/stop, bypass the AUX battery and you're riding like it's 1999. And if you plan on keeping it long term, no worries about eventually having to replace that 48v battery. 🙂

OP
OP
HDSlowride

HDSlowride

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '16 F350, '18 Honda CR-V, '93 YJ, '07 HD
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Engineer, General Dynamics, Retired
I suppose if you were stuck in a traffic jam, with constant pulling up and stopping, that would be the ideal time to hit the button to disable the ESS? Correct?

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I suppose if you were stuck in a traffic jam, with constant pulling up and stopping, that would be the ideal time to hit the button to disable the ESS? Correct?
Definitely, or even light traffic leading up to a stop sign where you're constantly starting and stopping every few seconds.

Also, just before you park. Nothing is more infuriating about ESS than pulling into your driveway or a parking spot and the damn engine shuts off before you can get the shifter into park only to start back up because you shifted out of drive with your foot still on the brake.

ESS sounds great in theory, but rarely ever seems to work when it's really needed, always works when unnecessary and reinforces very dangerous driving habits (not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign or before trying to shift out of drive).
Sponsored