Sponsored

New Jeep Wrangler to include gasoline, diesel, mild hybrid, full hybrid

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
Marchionne stated the JL is locked in and finalized many months ago (well before these mules were spotted). No reason to be testing diesel otherwise. It's not like these decisions are made and changed on a dime. Takes years of development and testing. Seeing a JL mule testing a diesel engine this late in the game is as good as done and their own internal docs have the diesel slated for 2019. Like I said it's fine to be skeptical but you are betting against a lot of solid evidence at this point.
Sponsored

sportcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars? A Jeep isn't a "car"
JL diesel was scheduled for 2018 with the new model. Then pushed to 2019 as the second year JL. Now, post 1 in this thread states "around 2020".

Don't get me wrong, there will be a diesel JL way before that, just not for USA market. That diesel just like the current JK diesel wrangler will be export only.

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
JL diesel was scheduled for 2018 with the new model. Then pushed to 2019 as the second year JL. Now, post 1 in this thread states "around 2020".

Don't get me wrong, there will be a diesel JL way before that, just not for USA market. That diesel just like the current JK diesel wrangler will be export only.
IF this ends up being true there's going to be very little reason to buy the JL imo. But i'm betting we do get the diesel in the US.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Diesel & I'm in, JK or JL. No diesel, no deal.

Sponsored

Alx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Self Built
We have been waiting for a diesel wrangler for a long, long time. Promises have been made and dates slipped over and over. It will never happen.
Relax, the 3.0 EcoDiesel is in fact coming to the U.S., just not the first year.

Up until now the Wrangler has had life pretty easy but as you will see regulatory requirements from the EPA and NHTSA are going to make it very difficult for the Wrangler to remain in its current state going forward. To survive albeit in a modified form, FCA understands a diesel (and eventually HEV) versions will be needed. Aluminum alone will not help a vehicle designed as a box as witnessed by the lack of fuel economy improvement in the aluminum F-150. Engine/drivetrain and aero changes will be cheaper and offer better MPG gains to keep the Wrangler alive here in the US.

You will notice in the 2014-18 Business Plan Update, the "Regulatory Compliance" chart in the first post which shows the Diesel Wrangler 4 Door is based on U.S. standards of measurement. CO2 measured in grams/mile and vehicle footprint measured in feet squared, all non-metric. These targets in response to the ever tightening U.S. CAFE standards. You can also see on page 15 of the Business Plan that the U.S. is the only region that has regulatory compliance measures based on vehicle footprint so this chart is U.S.-centric.

Suffice it to say the plans to offer a U.S. bound Diesel Wrangler were decided some time ago but the timeline is ever shifting and not made any easier by the recent diesel emissions scandal.

sportcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars? A Jeep isn't a "car"
Relax, the 3.0 EcoDiesel is in fact coming to the U.S., just not the first year.
And if you read the first post, the diesel isn't coming the 2nd year of the JL either......

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ

Sponsored

Alx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Self Built
And if you read the first post, the diesel isn't coming the 2nd year of the JL either......
I didn't meant to imply it was coming in the 2nd year, but meant only to dispute the fact that the diesel will not remain export only for the life of the JL, even if it's not offered right out of the gate.

Emoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Camaro SS
I just hope they provide some transfer case options. I want 2WD, Part-time 4WD Lo, Part-time 4WD Hi, and FullTime 4WD. I have good uses for all of those settings.

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
2019ish? Apparently that is not early enough for many who want to see it the first year of JL. The problem is they have built up so much pent up demand from all the teasing (intentional or not) over the years and offering it outside of the U.S. that many do not want to wait a few more years.
Sponsored