Sponsored

Question re: mild hybrid 3.6L

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
I suppose if you were stuck in a traffic jam, with constant pulling up and stopping, that would be the ideal time to hit the button to disable the ESS? Correct?
Actually, depending on how long you are at a complete stop in the traffic jam, this is a perfect time NOT to hit the button so you can save on fuel from not idling. If you're at a complete stop for just a few seconds then yes, it is the ideal time.

But, to get the engine to shut off, even when fully stopped, you need to push the brake firmly to get it to engage.(Shut down the engine) Many many times I have the Jeep stopped without pushing too hard on the brake pedal at which time the engine continues to run.

When I'm stopped at traffic lights where I know I'll be at a dead stop for a minute or more, I let the start/stop function kick in. Fuel is too expensive to waste in my opinion.

I will hit the button if I know I expect to take off quickly from a stop for different reasons. The startup is ALMOST seamless but not instantaneous.

I haven't driven a non eTorque 3.6 automatic to compare but I do know mine, from a complete stop, has a surprising amount of torque at takeoff.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HDSlowride

HDSlowride

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '16 F350, '18 Honda CR-V, '93 YJ, '07 HD
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Engineer, General Dynamics, Retired
Well, I bought the 2021 JLUR (Snazzberry, which looks like a merlot to me on this overcast day). Can't say I'm too much of a fan of the Wildpeak M/T tires that came on it. I have a set of the BFG K02 on my F350 and am very pleased with ride, noise, handling, etc. I may have a lot of newby questions regarding this jeep because while I am a long-time owner of older jeeps, this is my first JL. And my first Rubicon. I like it.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
ETorque replaces the Alternator essentially, which generally lasts 8 years or so. The ETorque battery has an 8 year warranty. I used to be anti ETorque but upon realizing this, it's really not any more complicated. It'll cost more to replace than an alternator but that's worth it to not deal with(or pay/replace every 3 years) the Auxiliary battery.

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
The majority of auto/3.6 are eTorque but there were periods where Jeep did make the auto/non-eTorque (ESS) available to order. MY '21 is one of them.
If you decide against eTorque you might get lucky and find one. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
My 2021 Willys two door was ordered with the 3.6 auto minus eTorque.You are correct,they are out there.
Sponsored