More gear selections please Dana!

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
My 3.6L, auto, 2dr Willys has (of course) 3.45 gears, and I think they suck! Lol.
With the plan to never go beyond a 33" (285 series) tire, and mild trail exploration, I initially planned a re-gear to 4.10. After further thought, that may not be enough, and now I'm thinking 4.56....
My F-350 has 4.30 gears and for my towing needs, combined with the 10-speed auto they're perfect! And the axles in the Ford? Rear = Dana M275, front = Dana 60.
Man! I wish the Jeep Dana axles had a bit more gear choices. A 4.30 gear set would be a great option for me.

Oh well... not really much of a topic for a lot of discussion, because we'll, it is what it is.... just venting 😆
Sponsored

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
My 3.6L, auto, 2dr Willys has (of course) 3.45 gears, and I think they suck! Lol.
With the plan to never go beyond a 33" (285 series) tire, and mild trail exploration, I initially planned a re-gear to 4.10. After further thought, that may not be enough, and now I'm thinking 4.56....
My F-350 has 4.30 gears and for my towing needs, combined with the 10-speed auto they're perfect! And the axles in the Ford? Rear = Dana M275, front = Dana 60.
Man! I wish the Jeep Dana axles had a bit more gear choices. A 4.30 gear set would be a great option for me.

Oh well... not really much of a topic for a lot of discussion, because we'll, it is what it is.... just venting 😆
I'm right there with you, Tncdrew!

And I have basically the exact same Jeep as yours, the only apparent difference being that mine is a Willys Sport.

OP
OP
Tncdrew

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm right there with you, Tncdrew!

And I have basically the exact same Jeep as yours, the only apparent difference being that mine is a Willys Sport.
I'll probably bite the bullet and go with 4.56. I think 4.10 may leave me wanting more. I just don't want to kill my fuel economy too much, but actually, it probably won't take that big of hit... 🤔
These 2drs have a peanut gas tank as it is! 🤣

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
I'll probably bite the bullet and go with 4.56. I think 4.10 may leave me wanting more. I just don't want to kill my fuel economy too much, but actually, it probably won't take that big of hit... 🤔
These 2drs have a peanut gas tank as it is! 🤣
Tncdrew, we must be brothers from a different mother, because I've been pondering a regearing as well, and am leaning towards 4.56 also.

OP
OP
Tncdrew

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tncdrew, we must be brothers from a different mother, because I've been pondering a regearing as well, and am leaning towards 4.56 also.
Ok!! The race is on! 🤣 (just kidding)
I want to do the gears, and upgrade these noisy Firestone M/T2's to some 285 series KO2's 😉
I just need to get past my frugality of not buying tires before necessary...
But life's too short, right?

Sponsored

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
Tc, you have been finding the Firestones M/T2s noisy? I can't say that I find that myself, but I've only got not even 400 miles on them yet. How many miles have you got on yours so far?

Although to be honest, coming from a rattlebox 1996 Ram 2500 pickup, it would take a LOT for me to consider any new vehicle "noisy", LOL.

OP
OP
Tncdrew

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tc, you have been finding the Firestones M/T2s noisy? I can't say that I find that myself, but I've only got not even 400 miles on them yet. How many miles have you got on yours so far?

Although to be honest, coming from a rattlebox 1996 Ram 2500 pickup, it would take a LOT for me to consider any new vehicle "noisy", LOL.
Well... I guess "noisy" is a little over exaggerated. But I think I'd prefer the all-terrain for slightly better and yes, quieter road ride. And I'd prefer the slight extra width, and height they'd provide (slight).
I'm at 1490 miles.

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
You know, Tc, where I think they
Well... I guess "noisy" is a little over exaggerated. But I think I'd prefer the all-terrain for slightly better and yes, quieter road ride. And I'd prefer the slight mire width, and height they'd provide (slight).
I'm at 1490 miles.
OK, gotcha.

I've never had M/T tires before, and from all that I had read online, I was half expecting them to be screaming like banshees on the highway, even at 60 mph. But I've been finding any noise associated with them to be very subdued. I do gather that M/T tires in general tend to get louder as they wear, though, so we'll see. But as of now I am planning on keeping the Destination M/T2s until they need to be replaced due to wear.

As an aside on the gearing, the one thing that I find most incomprehensible about the stock gearing in the 6 speed is the idiotically tall reverse gear. I mean, do we REALLY need to be able to zoom around at 12 or 14 mph in reverse? It's actually taller than the first gear! Which is just utterly stupid to me. I'd have cut it in half.

OP
OP
Tncdrew

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You know, Tc, where I think they

OK, gotcha.

I've never had M/T tires before, and from all that I had read online, I was half expecting them to be screaming like banshees on the highway, even at 60 mph. But I've been finding any noise associated with them to be very subdued. I do gather that M/T tires in general tend to get louder as they wear, though, so we'll see. But as of now I am planning on keeping the Destination M/T2s until they need to be replaced due to wear.

As an aside on the gearing, the one thing that I find most incomprehensible about the stock gearing in the 6 speed is the idiotically tall reverse gear. I mean, do we REALLY need to be able to zoom around at 12 or 14 mph in reverse? It's actually taller than the first gear! Which is just utterly stupid to me. I'd have cut it in half.
That's funny about your 6 speed manual's reverse gear being tall!
I'm not sure, but it may even be taller with the auto trans! Putting it in reverse, it's like I really have to give it the beans to get her moving! 🤣
You do have a slightly lower first gear ratio which is nice!

I think with 4.56 gearing, all these issues become a moot point.

Damn! You got me wanting to make that appointment! 😁

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
That's funny about your 6 speed manual's reverse gear being tall!
I'm not sure, but it may even be taller with the auto trans! Putting it in reverse, it's like I really have to give it the beans to get her moving! 🤣
You do have a slightly lower first gear ratio which is nice!

I think with 4.56 gearing, all these issues become a moot point.
Yes, that and a couple of other things as well, like not having to drop into 4th (if not 3rd, on an uphill incline) to pass on the highway. And I lean towards the 4.56 also because of upcoming towing needs after this coming spring --- I can see it really lugging even in 4th on the highway with the 3.45.

My problem, if I do go for a regearing, is finding any local shop that would be willing to do the job for less than $5000. "Alaska pricing", you know!

Sponsored

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management

You got the firestones on your sport? What month did you get your '22? My Willys sport delivered in March came with BF Goodrich KM2's. After research on and off the forums I was under the impression that all Willys sports came with those, while "regular" willys came with the firestones. Veeery intersting.

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
You got firestones on your sport? What month did you get your '22? My Willys sport delivered in March came with BF Goodrich KM2's. After research on and off the forums I was under the impression that all Willys sports came with those, while "regular" willys came with the firestones. Veeery intersting.
Good catch, Tethmes!

Yes, I did get the Firestones on my 2022 Willys Sport, but you are correct, they were NOT standard or stock on the Willys Sports in the 22 model year. But my dealer was willing to put them on my Jeep for just a nominal remounting fee, having them as takeoffs from a Willys on their lot (whose owner moved up to Rubicon takeoffs).

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Good catch, Tethmes!

Yes, I did get the Firestones on my 2022 Willys Sport, but you are correct, they were NOT standard or stock on the Willys Sports in the 22 model year. But my dealer was willing to put them on my Jeep for just a nominal remounting fee, having them as takeoffs from a Willys on their lot (whose owner moved up to Rubicon takeoffs).
Ok, so I'm not going crazy... at least at this moment. Thanks for the confirmation :LOL:

OP
OP
Tncdrew

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My problem, if I do go for a regearing, is finding any local shop that would be willing to do the job for less than $5000. "Alaska pricing", you know!
WOW! 5K for a gear swap! I thought 2K was high.
At that price, I'd consider learning to do it myself... but I get that that level of DIY is not for everybody.

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
WOW! 5K for a gear swap! I thought 2K was high.
At that price, I'd consider learning to do it myself... but I get that that level of DIY is not for everybody.
Well, to be honest, Tnc, I just threw that number out there as a guess, based on regearing prices that I've seen from others here in this forum and elsewhere. But I could easily see getting a quote for $4000, in which case I either find somebody to help me do it myself, or go without. That kind of project is certainly beyond my level of experience.
Sponsored