Second thoughts?

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
This topic has probably been addressed in other forums, but I have a different take since this is post-purchase thought.

So after owning your shiny new rig for a couple of days, weeks, months...anyone with second thoughts on the purchase price?

I mean my 2013 JKU Freedom Edition set me back $31K and it was a good value. My Rubicon set me back $49K so sometimes I wonder if the $18K increase was worth it. I love the rig, but I trying to figure out where that $18K went in to.

At this rate we’re going to see Rubicon’s at the $55K-$60K range in a few years.
Sponsored

MBLY

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR V6 Auto - 17 Audi R8 V10 Plus
They already are in the 55-60k Range. Msrp is 57k on one I’m going to try and buy.

OP
OP
Saejin

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
To be honest I think FCA is getting a bit carried away with the pricing, but they are selling every single one they build.

MSRP on mine after the price increase in March was $54K. I paid $49K though.

I just priced a Sport S spec’d out like my 2013 JKU and it was $4K more. I guess that would be in line with inflation and cost increase for new tech.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
So? You don’t lose until you sell. And then have to value the use and satisfaction. I just a need a bigger shed. I don’t want to leg go of any of my cars. Each one of them is enjoyable in it’s own way.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This topic has probably been addressed in other forums, but I have a different take since this is post-purchase thought.

So after owning your shiny new rig for a couple of days, weeks, months...anyone with second thoughts on the purchase price?

I mean my 2013 JKU Freedom Edition set me back $31K and it was a good value. My Rubicon set me back $49K so sometimes I wonder if the $18K increase was worth it. I love the rig, but I trying to figure out where that $18K went in to.

At this rate we’re going to see Rubicon’s at the $55K-$60K range in a few years.
My second thought is always, "Damn, this thing is nice!" The third thought is something like, "Wow, I can't believe how much this is improved over the JK!" My fourth thought is "I do still love my old JK, though," and my 5th thought is, "Damn, I want to go for another drive the JL! I wonder if anybody needs anything from the store?" And so the JK doesn't get miles piled up on it so quickly as it used to....

You'll see the Rubi pushing close to 60 when you see one fully optioned up and equipped with the diesel.

Sponsored

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Like what was just said... It’s actual price is what you paid vs what you sell it for in the future. I have a pretty good feeling it will come out well in the end, provided you don’t put 75K miles on it in 2 years and try to sell it

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
After 3 days in Moab, not a single regret and mine stickered at >$57k. Then I added the lift and tires. I’ll have it for more than a decade and run it hard, just like my 09 JKIR that my daughter is now driving.

This = priceless

A2490468-8B60-49FD-A854-00B1BC1FC2B0.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why would anyone want to sell their jeep?
Yeah, I always marvel at the resale value of the old 08 JK. Then I realize I'll never benefit from it because I won't sell it!
WSsn1qn.jpg

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Most people are unwilling admit to themselves - and especially not to others - when they have buyer’s remorse based on the price they paid, disappointments, or deficiencies/problems/issues with the vehicle. It’s only human nature.

Sponsored

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
I paid $42K (before taxes - can’t stop taxes so I don’t hold car dealers accountable for that) for a JLURubi with enough features that I’m more than happy. MSRP was $47K - but many are not paying near msrp so seems wrong to use that as a comparison
I feel like I got a good deal, and would do it again
A base sport is going to run $30K; a JKURubi is at least $35K

Rubicon value in capability alone is easily worth $10K

If you want to save money, a Jeep isn’t what you buy - you can go get a Toyota Corolla for $15K.

But for the value of what you get - I find the pricing pretty fair

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Most people are unwilling admit to themselves - and especially not to others - when they have buyer’s remorse based on the price they paid, disappointments, or deficiencies/problems/issues with the vehicle. It’s only human nature.
Yep, I'm sure that's true. We don't want to admit when we think we screwed up.

Last edited:

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
I think some of it has to do with supply and demand. At one time, the Ford Raptor had a $50K up-charge for supply and demand that the dealership called a "price adjustment" which made the Raptor nearly $100K. Right now, Ford has that on the Shelby Mustang in my area in Central Texas. I don't know that that could happen to the Wrangler. Other than that, I would have to attribute the cost to labor/union charges and the new price of steel in this country.

MBLY

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR V6 Auto - 17 Audi R8 V10 Plus
I think some of it has to do with supply and demand. At one time, the Ford Raptor had a $50K up-charge for supply and demand that the dealership called a "price adjustment" which made the Raptor nearly $100K. Right now, Ford has that on the Shelby Mustang in my area in Central Texas. I don't know that that could happen to the Wrangler. Other than that, I would have to attribute the cost to labor/union charges and the new price of steel in this country.
This is why I don’t buy Fords. If I don’t pay a mark up on Porsche GT3, Audi R8, Lamborghini Performante and other high end cars. Then why the heck would I pay a mark up on a Ford?
Sponsored