First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
My BFG KO2s are not worn out but I'm ready to go to a more aggressive tire on My JLUR. KO2s have been a smooth tire and all, but never liked how they tended to hydroplane vs the M/T tires I had on my previous 2016 JKUR that never had that issue. Not driving too fast, KO2s just easily get loose in puddles from the first year I've had the them. So, I was much happier with those M/T tires overall and looking to be there again.

Specifically looking for feedback on how the newer Cooper STT Pro does, or any other M/T tires that are well known to do well on wet roads and off road. Not a rock crawler here yet but can't rule it out.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Those Milestar Patagonias are made overseas, but seem to be a nice balance between a Mud and AT. I know they're made by Cooper, and we're all the rage for a while. Probably paid product endorsement.

Lots of off road shops around me are big fans of Nittos.

Personally, I have the K02s from BFG. Love em. I had a set of KM3s that has zero grip in the rain. Opposite of your experience I see.

If I was going for a MT I'd choose Cooper STT Pro.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Those Milestar Patagonias are made overseas, but seem to be a nice balance between a Mud and AT. I know they're made by Cooper, and we're all the rage for a while. Probably paid product endorsement.

Lots of off road shops around me are big fans of Nittos.

Personally, I have the K02s from BFG. Love em. I had a set of KM3s that has zero grip in the rain. Opposite of your experience I see.

If I was going for a MT I'd choose Cooper STT Pro.
Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at Nittos too.
These KO2s, they scare the Hell out of me on puddled roads. Worst truck type tire I've ever had for hydroplaning.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Surprised there aren't more responses to this thread.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Never been a fan of m/t tires. They are loud and suck in wintery conditions. So I might suggest to you Toyo R/Ts. They are a great compromise.
I have to agree. The BFG Mud Terrains that came OEM on our JKU were awful in even the slightest wet conditions, extremely loud, and gave the vehicle a very rough ride. I honestly don’t know why Jeep would put those as OEM equipment for a vehicle that for 95% or more of owners will see nothing but paved roads. I replaced them with BFG All Terrain TA and the overall ride comfort, noise and handling on all conditions was vastly improved. Wish I would’ve replaced them sooner.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
When I went to 37's I chose Yokohama Geolandar M/T. Less than 5K on them, but have been pretty pleased so far.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Surprised there aren't more responses to this thread.
Because many people don’t run M/T tires. Where I live, since M/Ts don’t have a winter tire service logo, they are worthless except for on dedicated off road rigs. If you want to be legal in the mountains you can’t run M/Ts when there is any weather.

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLUR 3.6, 2024 Supra MKV 3.0
Occupation
Medical Affairs
@Carolina Jeeper - I switched from KO2s to STT Pros after wheeling Windrock with a shit ton of mud to where I was slipping/sliding everywhere. Been happy since then with their look and performance at Rausch multiple times and Uwharrie; have yet to re-test them at Windrock, though. Agree that the KO2s hydroplaned much quicker than the STT Pros. The MTs are definitely louder with some hum but you get used to it (or just turn the music up more).

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLUR 3.6, 2024 Supra MKV 3.0
Occupation
Medical Affairs
@Carolina Jeeper - Not sure where you are in NC but I’m in Raleigh if you ever want to give it a spin or look at them.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Had 2 sets of the Milestars. Decent tire, but will run into harder compound at 20-25k and they aren’t as grippy. But, for the price, can’t beat it.

Fatalis12B

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 6sp MT JLUR
Occupation
Retired
My BFG KO2s are not worn out but I'm ready to go to a more aggressive tire on My JLUR. KO2s have been a smooth tire and all, but never liked how they tended to hydroplane vs the M/T tires I had on my previous 2016 JKUR that never had that issue. Not driving too fast, KO2s just easily get loose in puddles from the first year I've had the them. So, I was much happier with those M/T tires overall and looking to be there again.

Specifically looking for feedback on how the newer Cooper STT Pro does, or any other M/T tires that are well known to do well on wet roads and off road. Not a rock crawler here yet but can't rule it out.
Try an R/T...best of both worlds...

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Here’s my pick.

Let’s start with 3 Peak rated, 50k warranty, quiet, more aggressive than lesser MT’s and 20k happy miles on my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT’s. Oh and they look great and very aggressive too. The sidewall biters work, they run great in snow, they went through mud great cleaning out the treads easily(Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway & 6k miles hwy/trail vacation last Summer in SD, WY, MT, ID, CO, ) , cut through 1-2” standing water on pavement well 35-40 mph before hydroplane), they’re quiet and still BARELY louder than new. You’d need to roll the windows down. Lastly, they handle well on the highway.

Most AT’s are a compromise and the MT/AT gap has narrowed over the years but this Baja Boss AT has to be at the top of the heap. I’m only even curious about one or two others maybe but this tire is a sure thing. It’s been outstanding.

I’m sure someone can find some thick, pasty mud to get the MT to better shine in clearing treads in a side by side comparison, but any advantage would end right there.
Sponsored