All Terrain Tires for Fuel Economy

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I have the Deulers that it came with. They've done well in the Indiana snow. I've only made one serious off-road trip, the Jeep Adventure Academy, and had zero issues with grip with everything they took us through and we had a heavy downpour the whole second half of the day. My off-roading plans are getting to campsites (e.g. forest service roads) and maybe easy to moderate trails every now and then, so I'm more worried about snow than rock crawling and these are doing well for me.

I've been watching my mileage pretty closely, and here are my numbers. I'd estimate about 70-75% of my driving is state highway (55 mph) for my commute to and from work. I average about 23 mpg. I'll drop down to 21-22mpg if I do more in town driving, and jump up to 24+ if there's little in town driving. When it's mostly all in town, I get 18-19mpg. Interstates going 70, I get 20-24mpg, depending on the wind speed and direction. I filled up this morning, and for the 35 miles all at 55mph into work, the computer said 26 mpg.

Pulling our T@G trailer mostly on state highway, I got 17-18mpg.
Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
What kind of fuel economy are you currently getting?

For many years I have switched between K02s and Sahara tires and there wasn't much mpg difference, if any, mind you I am all city with a heavy foot, the only time I ever saw anything close to the brochure mpg, was when I went on pure highway long distances.

I currently have Falken MT Gladiator take offs, and there isn't much difference(if any) from my Sahara road tires.

OP
OP
trwkane

trwkane

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Willys
I have the Deulers that it came with. They've done well in the Indiana snow. I've only made one serious off-road trip, the Jeep Adventure Academy, and had zero issues with grip with everything they took us through and we had a heavy downpour the whole second half of the day. My off-roading plans are getting to campsites (e.g. forest service roads) and maybe easy to moderate trails every now and then, so I'm more worried about snow than rock crawling and these are doing well for me.

I've been watching my mileage pretty closely, and here are my numbers. I'd estimate about 70-75% of my driving is state highway (55 mph) for my commute to and from work. I average about 23 mpg. I'll drop down to 21-22mpg if I do more in town driving, and jump up to 24+ if there's little in town driving. When it's mostly all in town, I get 18-19mpg. Interstates going 70, I get 20-24mpg, depending on the wind speed and direction. I filled up this morning, and for the 35 miles all at 55mph into work, the computer said 26 mpg.

Wow very helpful thank you for the information!

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
The Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT is a killer all-terrain tire with a 60,000 mile tread life and the quietest AT tire I've never heard (see what I did there?). The LT285/70/17 weighs in at 56 lbs. It's 3Peak rated as well. I don't have actual mpg numbers for you on that size but I will be honest and say that I didn't get the best mpg on my last Sport S with them. However, I attribute that to the 3.43 gears and the fact that I was running the larger and heavier 315/70/17 size. I would have undoubtedly seen better mpg performance with a regear (I did correct speedo) or same size as stock but they have the best wet pavement traction I've experienced and did well in the snow in CO. Stellar tire. Factor in the cost of the tires as well as the tread life and that could offset a minimal difference in mpg. However, again, as quiet as these tires are, there's probably less rolling resistance than other tires.

Last edited:

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Wow very helpful thank you for the information!
It might also be important to know...I have a Sport S, with the 3.6 eTorque and 8 speed automatic. Stock wheels and tires, no lift.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I doubt you will see much increase in MPG. Not enough to save the cost with swapping out tires. AT of course is just better on road but I had Falken MT and they did fine for me on my last Wrangler.

But everyone is particular about their tires :)

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
2 that I have used recently are the Cooper Discoverer AT3 which were very good all around tires, good in the snow as well as in light off road situations. Shortly before I sold my WK2, I purchased locally one of the first sets of BFG Trail Terrain T/A. Much better than the older Trail T/A that they replaced, reasonably priced (at the time) and very good in snow and dirt trails. More of a mild all-terrain, and not overly "off-road" looking, but did a good job and came w/ a 60k mile warranty.

Jeep Wrangler JL All Terrain Tires for Fuel Economy IMG_1363.JPG

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

That's impressive mpg, I changed my driving habits and it helped quite a bit. I used to just get in my Jeep and drive, got about 19mpg avg going that route. I now use my avg mpg guage and start much smoother, easy on the gas and brakes, just keeping things more even keel going down the road w/ less sudden acceleration/braking and I now get up to 26 mpg on my commutes. Amazing what a few changes in driving habits can accomplish, especially now that gas is crazy high. And FWIW I get to my destination just about as fast :)

OP
OP
trwkane

trwkane

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Willys
What kind of fuel economy are you currently getting?

For many years I have switched between K02s and Sahara tires and there wasn't much mpg difference, if any, mind you I am all city with a heavy foot, the only time I ever saw anything close to the brochure mpg, was when I went on pure highway long distances.

I currently have Falken MT Gladiator take offs, and there isn't much difference(if any) from my Sahara road tires.
So I've got just about 4000km on the jeep. I have the 3.6L with a 6speed manual and I have a 30mile commute on relatively flat terrain.

I've been getting about 22mpg average. I'm more concerned about the mud tires in the long run/winter months.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So I've got just about 4000km on the jeep. I have the 3.6L with a 6speed manual and I have a 30mile commute on relatively flat terrain.

I've been getting about 22mpg average. I'm more concerned about the mud tires in the long run/winter months.
Same setup, I get about the same 22-23mpg, 84 mile daily commute.

Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s all the way. Check ‘em out, definitely! 👍
Totally agree, my JLR had Ko2's and i ran those for 65K (5 tire rotation) and am now running AT3W's and they are better than the Ko2's in wet weather. Super quite as well and hope to get at least 70K on them!

Rubigone

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
2 that I have used recently are the Cooper Discoverer AT3 which were very good all around tires, good in the snow as well as in light off road situations. Shortly before I sold my WK2, I purchased locally one of the first sets of BFG Trail Terrain T/A. Much better than the older Trail T/A that they replaced, reasonably priced (at the time) and very good in snow and dirt trails. More of a mild all-terrain, and not overly "off-road" looking, but did a good job and came w/ a 60k mile warranty.

Jeep Wrangler JL All Terrain Tires for Fuel Economy IMG_1363.JPG
I just stuck a set of 285/70/17s trail terrains on my wrangler and wow what a difference on road. Haven’t done any off-road with them yet but on road they’re amazing.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
On a side note I went with the 255/80/17 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W as I prefer pizza cutters over wide tires. Thinking back to the original jeeps with 7 inch treads that could go through and over anything.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just stuck a set of 285/70/17s trail terrains on my wrangler and wow what a difference on road. Haven’t done any off-road with them yet but on road they’re amazing.
Interested in your opinion of them over time.