First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Do not live in a place with snow or lots of rain, so I have no idea how my BFG KM3s will do in those conditions, but I am on my second set this time 37s and love them. Not that loud, no issues on the road and they are amazing offroad.
Thank you for the info. Been looking at these too. Was considering a size change to 315/70R17. Currently still have the factory 285/70R17 tires.
Sponsored

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
I loved my Duratracs...but I bought a new Willy's with Destinations...they are loud
Take them off, replace them with wildpeaks, or toyos, sell the M/T. The Jeep will ride and handle better and be much quieter.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Started traveling for work some and not sure when I’ll be in that area but, if I am, I’ll try to remember and shoot you a message.
Ok cool!

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the info. Been looking at these too. Was considering a size change to 315/70R17. Currently still have the factory 285/70R17 tires.
i used to have 315/70/17 KM3s they are great overall size for the jeep, a little shorter and a little wider than a 35/12.5/17

Method.jpg

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i used to have 315/70/17 KM3s they are great overall size for the jeep, a little shorter and a little wider than a 35/12.5/17

Method.jpg
Nice looking tire! Did you need to change gear ratio in your axles? My Rubicon has the lower gear ratio at 4.10:1 with an 8 speed auto so I feel like I may be okay going up to a 35" tire.

Sponsored

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Only switched to 4.88s now that I changed tires to 37s. Honestly I would not regear with the 35s but it is a toss up with 35's, my only issues were for me 1st gear in 4h seemed a little fast, mileage was down a little over the 33s, on long steep grades once I decided to shift the auto manually it was fine, on those same grades in straight auto I found the transmission did not shift down early enough after I went with the 35s. Other wise the 35s with the 4.10s felt fine, did it for almost two years. Here is a similar shot with the 37 KM3s

BFG KM3 37-12.5-17.jpg

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
One, person hated the BFG stock M/T tires on their Willys, and stated they didn't know why the OEM would put them on in the first place. I guess they didn't do much research about the jeep they were spending their hard earned cash on to begin with. And they said they were really loud and rough riding. WOW, should have bought a Prius or something.

As the Willys pays homage to the jeeps of WWII and the M/T tires they used over seas in very muddy conditions.

I have a Willys edition with the M/T BFG's and I have loved them from day one. They are loud, but not what I would call extremely loud, I live in FL where in rains all the time and they have never once attempted to hydroplane on me. I have been in the sugar sand and they did fine, I have been through water holes, water crossings here in FL and they worked great. I have been to Windrock TN and they did fine in the mud, water, sand, and going over some pretty big rocks. Oh, and they are not a rough ride at all in MHO except at very low speeds, my jeep is nice and smooth.

I have no complaints with them. Granted I know they are not A/T''s or such but the OP was asking about M/T's, I love my BFG's and may replace with the same when time, haven't got there yet though.

Last edited:

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Without any mods, what size you recommend? Thank you

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
For those that are hydroplaning on BFG KO's, what tire pressure are you running? I live in Florida and currently have KO's on my JLU Willys. At 35psi, I have never hydroplaned or had the rear end get out from under me from a stop. Maybe your tire pressure is to high. KO's are sipped too.

On my Gladiator I run the Kenda Klever RT, 35x10.50x17, a sort of hybrid AT/MT. They are one of the few tires that come in a 35x10.50. Never had a problem with these tires hydroplaning either.

After2.jpg

392-2.jpg

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For those that are hydroplaning on BFG KO's, what tire pressure are you running? I live in Florida and currently have KO's on my JLU Willys. At 35psi, I have never hydroplaned or had the rear end get out from under me from a stop. Maybe your tire pressure is to high. KO's are sipped too.

On my Gladiator I run the Kenda Klever RT, 35x10.50x17, a sort of hybrid AT/MT. They are one of the few tires that come in a 35x10.50. Never had a problem with these tires hydroplaning either.

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade from All Terrain to M/T Tires? 392-2

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade from All Terrain to M/T Tires? 392-2
Running 34-35 PSI right now. Had 44 PSI when new and hydroplaned then too. Just a little shallow puddle and me front end is heading for the ditch pretty quick at 45 MPH. Never had that issue with any MT tire.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I have falken m/ts and theyre so far a great tire.

An A/T will technically do better than an M/T on rain. Maybe it is the Jeep vs truck and not the tires? idk.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This tire search and comparison has given me a real headache lol. I've taken all of the suggestions here and looked through dozens upon dozens of threads, posts and videos. Also during this search I've discovered and learned some things I had never considered in tires before.

Okay so I'm down to my finalists. Its either a Mickey Thompson Baha Boss MT or a Cooper Discoverer STT Pro MT.

My other struggle is whether to go to a 315/70R17, 295/70R17 or stay stock at 285/70R17. BTW, this is a Rubicon with no lift and stock 7.5 inch wide wheels.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have falken m/ts and theyre so far a great tire.

An A/T will technically do better than an M/T on rain. Maybe it is the Jeep vs truck and not the tires? idk.
My experience with the KO2 is it hydroplaned from the first puddle when new and the MT tires I've had before never did that. The MT pulled some, but never hydroplaned in shallow puddles like a KO2 did. I've gone through water that splashed up onto the windshield with MT tires and never felt like I was hydroplaning. Just my personal experiences.

bohnster

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude GCM
Occupation
Bourbon Taster
This. Added 33" BFG KO2s to my Sahara a few months ago. Running about 32 psi. I've driven in heavy rains on TN roads with no issues. I hit a large puddle in the rain on the way back from a trail run while not paying attention and plowed right through. Also loved the performance recently in the slush we had last month. Hope the OP finds good tires though...

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
interesting; i hated the Firestone Destination M/T2s that came stock on my Willys; seemed like they'd slip everywhere when it was wet, even on city streets. i was happy to get rid of them.

i've run several generations of BFG MTs and never found them to hydroplane excessively, but they were not great on snow and/ice unless i siped them. (a little time with a razor does wonders.) sadly, they seem to have gotten progressively louder with each generation.

i've been very happy with the Mickey Baja Boss M/T i'm using now (35x12.5). they aren't terribly loud, ride nice, don't seem to be excessively inclined to hydroplane, and stick reasonably well when it's wet and/or sloppy on and off the pavement. i've not yet had a chance to work them hard on snow/ice.

Firestone destination mt2s have been great ...replaced my ko2s with them
Sponsored