Sponsored

Upgrade from All Terrain to M/T Tires?

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
The Firestone Destination Mud Terrains that came OEM on my Willy's were awful. Extremely loud and gave the vehicle a very rough ride. I replaced them with Toyo Open Country AT/3 All Terrains 285/75 R17, the overall ride comfort, noise and handling was greatly improved.

Thereā€™sOnlyOne

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have the factory MT Falken Wildpeak MT01 on 2021 JLUR and as far as pavement driving in dry and wet I havenā€™t had any issues. Havenā€™t noticed any hydroplaning. Noise wise I donā€™t notice unless I tune in to them and even then they are very minimal to me. The only time I really know I have MT tires is rolling out my driveway, first few feet from a stop from a stop sign or light or the last few feet of coming to a full stop. You can feel the tires rolling. 3500 miles. Unfortunately I havenā€™t had opportunity to go off road yet.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Thanks for the offer! I'm about 2 hours away in the Pilot Mountain area.
Started traveling for work some and not sure when Iā€™ll be in that area but, if I am, Iā€™ll try to remember and shoot you a message.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Never been a fan of m/t tires. They are loud and suck in wintery conditions. So I might suggest to you Toyo R/Ts. They are a great compromise.
oh lord, when Iā€™m walking on the street and I hear an extremely loud gul gul gul gul from like two blocks away, I already know a jeep/truck is about to pass by with a horrible set of extremely loud MTs. I genuinely canā€™t understand how they donā€™t mind driving with their extremely loud tires.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
All M/Ts, all tires for that matter, are not created equal. M/Ts have a bad rap for being bad in snow/ice. Being from MN, I was very apprehensive when I got my first set of M/Ts but I went with STT Pros on a strong recommendation from a friend who has them on his FJ Cruiser.

I couldn't be happier since making the switch 2.5 years ago. When I put them on my JK they were an immediate improvement over the Nitto Terra Grappler ATs, and especially in the snow. The Terra Grapplers were a bit sketchy in snowy/icy conditions. The STT Pros track and grip much better. They also do well in wet conditions, and off-road of course.

I like the STT Pros so much that they were the first thing I put on my JLUR when I got it.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
oh lord, when Iā€™m walking on the street and I hear an extremely loud gul gul gul gul from like two blocks away, I already know a jeep/truck is about to pass by with a horrible set of extremely loud MTs. I genuinely canā€™t understand how they donā€™t mind driving with their extremely loud tires.
MTs can be loud, but not all are. IMO the noise of MTs is much less annoying that modded exhaust systems in big trucks or tuner cars.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I know that sound lol, but I never had them make that much noise on the brand I've ran before. I would not like them that loud either.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
I loved my Duratracs...but I bought a new Willy's with Destinations...they are loud

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I know that sound lol, but I never had them make that much noise on the brand I've ran before. I would not like them that loud either.
Oh yeah I didnā€™t mean all MTs are that loud, just the ultra loud onesšŸ˜‚ I honestly donā€™t even know what brands those tires can be because theyā€™re tremendously loud and thatā€™s at non-highway speeds around 35mphā€¦

There are quite a few really good MT tires that are almost as quiet as the good ATs like ko2s

And I would like it to be known that for every gul gul gul gul I hear during my morning walks, about three dozen Jeeps and trucks pass by with tire noise similar to the average vehicle.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oh yeah I didnā€™t mean all MTs are that loud, just the ultra loud onesšŸ˜‚ I honestly donā€™t even know what brands those tires can be because theyā€™re tremendously loud and thatā€™s at non-highway speeds around 35mphā€¦

There are quite a few really good MT tires that are almost as quiet as the good ATs like ko2s

And I would like it to be known that for every gul gul gul gul I hear during my morning walks, about three dozen Jeeps and trucks pass by with tire noise similar to the average vehicle.
I knew what you meant. There are some of those obnoxiously loud MT tires around here where I live in the country that I can hear for a while before I see them drive by. Those louder ones are very popular around here since there are lots of farms... and mud.

I'm ok with more tire noise, but would prefer to be leaning towards the lower end of the noise level. Kind of leaning towards the STT Pros MT at this point.

Last edited:

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Do not live in a place with snow or lots of rain, so I have no idea how my BFG KM3s will do in those conditions, but I am on my second set this time 37s and love them. Not that loud, no issues on the road and they are amazing offroad.
Sponsored