Spring Seats misaligned on Rear Axle

missionale

First Name
Jeepie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
So first it was the rear passenger side spring rubbing against the frame - so reinstalled rear springs (switching sides) and now the spring is rubbing the mounting plate - everything is installed correctly and torqued correctly - phone call to AEV, Teraflex and Rock Krawler this morning pretty much confirmed Dana's tolerances are so bad that it is not uncommon to have an Axle Spring mount off as much as 8 degrees. Without measurements yet and just pictures, it appears the top mounting bracket and lower bracket are no where close to centerline between the two - and the longer springs just worsen the problem.
Lesson - before tearing apart the suspension - take notice of all alignments - springs-isolators-mounts-fasteners everything.
Purchased a Rock Krawler Rear Coil Spring Correction Seat, two new isolators and another set of Rear Springs - I do not want to have to do this again -
Fortunately and unfortunately I had the dealer (who is an authorized AEV Rep) install it so they have great communication with AEV but I know no one will take responsibility - even if that axle should have been rejected at the factory for out of tolerance - oh well - Driver Side is fine -
Jeep Wrangler JL Spring Seats misaligned on Rear Axle Jeep Sprin
Jeep Wrangler JL Spring Seats misaligned on Rear Axle driver side sprin
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So first it was the rear passenger side spring rubbing against the frame - so reinstalled rear springs (switching sides) and now the spring is rubbing the mounting plate - everything is installed correctly and torqued correctly - phone call to AEV, Teraflex and Rock Krawler this morning pretty much confirmed Dana's tolerances are so bad that it is not uncommon to have an Axle Spring mount off as much as 8 degrees. Without measurements yet and just pictures, it appears the top mounting bracket and lower bracket are no where close to centerline between the two - and the longer springs just worsen the problem.
Lesson - before tearing apart the suspension - take notice of all alignments - springs-isolators-mounts-fasteners everything.
Purchased a Rock Krawler Rear Coil Spring Correction Seat, two new isolators and another set of Rear Springs - I do not want to have to do this again -
Fortunately and unfortunately I had the dealer (who is an authorized AEV Rep) install it so they have great communication with AEV but I know no one will take responsibility - even if that axle should have been rejected at the factory for out of tolerance - oh well - Driver Side is fine -
Cut off the perch on the axle and weld it back on in the correct spot. If you can’t do it, get a welder to do it, probably a couple hundred bucks. Then give the bill to the dealership. If they pay great, if not, then it cost you a couple hundred bucks to get your rig right, so what. Likely won’t be the last time.