Sponsored

Do you really need to bolt on rear spring spacers?

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Hey guys so I ended up installing a Teraflex ST1 Lift Kit with Falcon Shocks on my jeep.

While installing the rear spacers I was wondering what's the point of bolting them on? Wont the spring hold it up after compressing it by lifting the axle?

Why do the front spacers not need it?
Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys so I ended up installing a Teraflex ST1 Lift Kit with Falcon Shocks on my jeep.

While installing the rear spacers I was wondering what's the point of bolting them on? Wont the spring hold it up after compressing it by lifting the axle?

Why do the front spacers not need it?
At full flex/articulation of the suspension, the factory springs can and have come unseated. The front spacers aren’t likely to fall out because the bump stop tower is in-board of both the coil spring and the spring spacer. The front spacers also have two index pins that help keep them in place.
The rear, however, is more likely to shift out of place if the spring is maxed out during down travel and not providing enough pressure to keep the spacer in place. The bump stops are outboard of the springs on the rear axle. The bolt is meant to keep the spacer from shifting out of place.

OP
OP
ZenWorld

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
At full flex/articulation of the suspension, the factory springs can and have come unseated. The front spacers aren’t likely to fall out because the bump stop tower is in-board of both the coil spring and the spring spacer. The front spacers also have two index pins that help keep them in place.
The rear, however, is more likely to shift out of place if the spring is maxed out during down travel and not providing enough pressure to keep the spacer in place. The bump stops are outboard of the springs on the rear axle. The bolt is meant to keep the spacer from shifting out of place.
Appreciate the response Will and thanks for answering my question. I'm learning how to do stuff on my own jeep and this explanation helped.

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
It's because they are a pain in the ass to get seated properly without gluing or bolting them in place. You should not be running shocks that are so long your coils come loose or unseat at full droop, having the spacer stay in there isn't going to help anything if your coil spring completely falls out. I would assume that teraflex sells properly sized shocks with their lift kits.
Sponsored