Sponsored

CB Antenna Mount Needed!

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
I’m no expert but isn’t a properly tuned cb based upon certain wire and antenna length? Something to do with the length of the radio waves?

Also regarding the ground plane talk above, couldn’t you apply an appropriate ground strap from that mount to the chassis/frame ground to achieve proper grounding?
Antenna cables come in different lengths, what counts is the length of the antenna itself.
Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the cover is plastic plus i have cube lights mounted there
So maybe you have something like this installed? The bracket I am proposing could be mounted right on top of it. Of course, alternatively you could use a standard antenna L bracket and attach it to this light mount.

upload_2018-4-25_17-24-9.png

The fact that the cover below is plastic may be irrelevant, as long as the bracket is grounded via the bolts.

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
IMG_3216.jpg

I think it could work, but not for me. I don't think that location is strong enough because of the plastic cowling. I bet it would be easy to damage.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Until we have more aftermarket antenna mount choices for the JL, here is my solution.
A 15” trucker rubber duck antenna hidden behind the canvas.
Good enough to communicate in close proximity, which is mostly what I need it for.

FC4EF20D-C95B-4C67-8AB0-16BA54537E92.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What if you took this pair of light mounts and mounted them on the accessory bolts on the side of the cowling, then fabricated a metal bracket that attached to these, with an antenna mount on them. Then you could run your CB antenna right next to the A-pillar, which seems to be a good spot for the Jeep?

It woldn't be too different from that light mount above, but it would still allow for folding the windshield.

http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/ACE-JL-Cube-Risers_p_256.html

Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What if you took this pair of light mounts and mounted them on the accessory bolts on the side of the cowling, then fabricated a metal bracket that attached to these, with an antenna mount on them. Then you could run your CB antenna right next to the A-pillar, which seems to be a good spot for the Jeep?

It woldn't be too different from that light mount above, but it would still allow for folding the windshield.

http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/ACE-JL-Cube-Risers_p_256.html
I think you described my proposal above in different words :) - I agree, this would be the way to go.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think you described my proposal above in different words :) - I agree, this would be the way to go.
Yeah, I think you are right. I think the location would be good for both sight line and for reception/transmission.

I can't believe nobody has gotten to market yet with a decent CB antenna mount, whether where you suggested, or for the tailgate or spare tire carrier. Hopefully, we'll get a bunch of options all at once, and soon!

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I decided to make my own, usually not a good thing,

I went to my welding/manufacturing shop I use and told them what I wanted.

This is what we came up with:

1UqCVH5yAfk1oR9QaYzbwmxB8ko0j7Q3ACxqqMvCRBVsibzl_bEFQFjEGk9agqZUKB9Tt1JXf1ftBSj1gBE=w459-h258-no.jpg

M6fgO5xVqdKYTbaA4RE6f9I_CDtjOj0viL3-6-MvDv4pVV03aiFfJjQi3ZMPAWTwX3iwv9OqDZsmkJG8u5c=w534-h949-no.jpg

A5tzysVrG5c7_QCSlyG6eNXYBZvHCvSYHBxzJ8bPgKLgk4X4tJUVvObBHX6oinvQKuIak1p903RDGPnK3PA=w534-h949-no.jpg

I had it powder coated to match the red accents of the Rubicon.

It grounds to the tailgate so an easy mount.

It looks good and has room for my 37's when I jump.......... LOL

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I decided to make my own, usually not a good thing,

I went to my welding/manufacturing shop I use and told them what I wanted.

This is what we came up with:

1UqCVH5yAfk1oR9QaYzbwmxB8ko0j7Q3ACxqqMvCRBVsibzl_bEFQFjEGk9agqZUKB9Tt1JXf1ftBSj1gBE=w459-h258-no.jpg

M6fgO5xVqdKYTbaA4RE6f9I_CDtjOj0viL3-6-MvDv4pVV03aiFfJjQi3ZMPAWTwX3iwv9OqDZsmkJG8u5c=w534-h949-no.jpg

A5tzysVrG5c7_QCSlyG6eNXYBZvHCvSYHBxzJ8bPgKLgk4X4tJUVvObBHX6oinvQKuIak1p903RDGPnK3PA=w534-h949-no.jpg

I had it powder coated to match the red accents of the Rubicon.

It grounds to the tailgate so an easy mount.

It looks good and has room for my 37's when I jump.......... LOL
Looks good. I wonder if it will still work with the tailgate reinforcement kit?

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Our Cool Tech JL-specific Antenna Kit is now in-stock and available for ordering and immediate shipment. The bracket has a unique JL-design and is intended to complement some of the creative "tells" that Jeep has incorporated throughout the JL. (Has anyone else noticed the camo pattern at the bottom of the interior door grab handles?) The bracket is stainless steel as it the mounting hardware. The kit is available with either a 3' or 4' Firestik Firefly antenna. This is a very nice antenna for this mount. Here's a pic of the kit contents (sans the antenna).

jl-cb-antenna-kit.jpg

Additional pictures, description, and ordering information can be found here: http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/109-jl-cb-antenna-kit.html

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Actually it is easy to attach a wire from the back side of one of those bolts(remove the inside large plastic cover to get access) then run that wire to the jeep and ground it.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Actually it is easy to attach a wire from the back side of one of those bolts(remove the inside large plastic cover to get access) then run that wire to the jeep and ground it.
I'm not following, isn't the tailgate magnesium? Couldn't we add a grounding strap from the body to the tailgate for a good ground? I'm assuming there's some type of rubber/plastic/delerin bushing on the tailgate hinges.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice mount and kit, but man, that's a little bit expensive! I'm still exploring my own solution using the two accessory bolts on the driver's side of the cowling. If it works well, my brother and I might make them and sell them. We shall see!

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Our Cool Tech JL-specific Antenna Kit is now in-stock and available for ordering and immediate shipment. The bracket has a unique JL-design and is intended to complement some of the creative "tells" that Jeep has incorporated throughout the JL. (Has anyone else noticed the camo pattern at the bottom of the interior door grab handles?) The bracket is stainless steel as it the mounting hardware. The kit is available with either a 3' or 4' Firestik Firefly antenna. This is a very nice antenna for this mount. Here's a pic of the kit contents (sans the antenna).

jl-cb-antenna-kit.jpg

Additional pictures, description, and ordering information can be found here: http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/109-jl-cb-antenna-kit.html
Will anything have to be done to ground this mount for the antenna or are the bolt and bolt holes good enough? Thank you!

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Will anything have to be done to ground this mount for the antenna or are the bolt and bolt holes good enough? Thank you!
I get a great ground through these bolts with the one I made, so this should be the same.
Sponsored