Sponsored

JL Roof

Uptonogood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ
One thing that would worry me with a roof design like this is a lot more detachable parts that could be lost, damaged, or leak. You have 3 top panels, panel surrounds and then what would be the hardtop sides. It's lighter since you would remove them piecemeal so it can be done without a hoist but it also adds complexity when dealing with aftermarket replacements or alternatives.
Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
One thing that would worry me with a roof design like this is a lot more detachable parts that could be lost, damaged, or leak. You have 3 top panels, panel surrounds and then what would be the hardtop sides. It's lighter since you would remove them piecemeal so it can be done without a hoist but it also adds complexity when dealing with aftermarket replacements or alternatives.
it will definitely take the aftermarket awhile to get things right with so much complexity.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Not necessarily. If the engineers designed the roof well they'll have considered all this and will make it so that the roof panels and trim pieces can all be stored right in the car and perhaps lock together for storage.

Uptonogood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ
Not necessarily. If the engineers designed the roof well they'll have considered all this and will make it so that the roof panels and trim pieces can all be stored right in the car and perhaps lock together for storage.
As it is the T tops have to be stood up and strapped to the back seats to truly "fit" without making the trunk space unusable. With 3 equal sized panels it would take up even more space.

I doubt they will come up with a way to store and lock up. There's just not enough cargo space. They could do something really innovative like in this patent (if this could even work) but I doubt it. I bet they keep it simple and just go with storage bags like they currently do.

OP
OP
JKguy

JKguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU Rubicon, '03 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel, 1995 YJ Laredo
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to see it also. No doors/roof and no sport bar is going to take some adjusting to get used to.
What do you mean about the no doors/roof?

Sponsored

Biker Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Monster
What do you mean about the no doors/roof?
I meant it will take getting used to seeing the lack of sport bar which would only be visible without doors/roof. From the side view if the JL looks like the renders it will have the body colored roof and C pillar frame even with all the panels removed.

Personally I've always liked the sport bar. It has a rugged look/functionality.

OP
OP
JKguy

JKguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU Rubicon, '03 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel, 1995 YJ Laredo
Vehicle Showcase
I meant it will take getting used to seeing the lack of sport bar which would only be visible without doors/roof. From the side view if the JL looks like the renders it will have the body colored roof and C pillar frame even with all the panels removed.

Personally I've always liked the sport bar. It has a rugged look/functionality.
Ahh, I see

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
I'd totally be on board if they go with the three glass/plexiglass panels, with removable opaque tops. And then the ability to remove the entire plexiglass panels themselves, and the rear side windows and back windshield, and quick remove doors.

Since I'm not coming from a previous gen wrangler this setup doesn't seem too restrictive at all.
Double or Triple removable glass sunroofs is dope, no ?
I bet you get your wish. Most of the top should be removable along with side and back windows. And doors of course.

Most of the complaints come from current/previous Wrangler owners who are used to the sport bar and full open top/side experience and are afraid that a fixed roof setup will be much more restrictive. Someone coming from another car is probably in for a more open air experience than they've ever experienced :)

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I'm one of the guys who never sprung for a bikini type top. I love the open air feeling all around and above me as I drive. However, I rarely take the doors off. I live at 3400ft altitude and it gets cold at night too often, but with the doors on I can crank the heat to the floor boards and stay warm. My point is, I'm hoping for more of the same with the JL. Let me go topless, but keep my bottoms on!

Taimaishu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I'm one of the guys who never sprung for a bikini type top. I love the open air feeling all around and above me as I drive. However, I rarely take the doors off. I live at 3400ft altitude and it gets cold at night too often, but with the doors on I can crank the heat to the floor boards and stay warm. My point is, I'm hoping for more of the same with the JL. Let me go topless, but keep my bottoms on!
After looking at the clay model and the renderings I been conflicted whether I'd prefer a structureless but completely open roof like the JK or a fixed structure roof that we might be getting on the JL. On the one hand the JK roof is true open top but it's definitely got its downsides like leakiness and difficulty in installing/removing. On the other hand a fixed roof structure should allow for a more rigid car, less gaps/leaks and will be easier to install/remove panels. Not like I'll have a choice in the matter though, FCA is gonna give whatever choice they decide hah!

Sponsored

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
I bet the solid roof structure will help quell death wobble quite a bit. Hopefully there's a built in storage system as well. Would really help increase the level of practicality.

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
I bet the solid roof structure will help quell death wobble quite a bit. Hopefully there's a built in storage system as well. Would really help increase the level of practicality.
Yea and any metal roof structure will increase torsional rigidity so this should be the stiffest Wrangler ever. Which in turn means they can maybe cut other stiffening materials from the car. Combine that with the JL's new aluminum parts and it might lead to some significant weight savings.

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
Yea and any metal roof structure will increase torsional rigidity so this should be the stiffest Wrangler ever. Which in turn means they can maybe cut other stiffening materials from the car. Combine that with the JL's new aluminum parts and it might lead to some significant weight savings.
And an extra reason to take the long road home in your JL/ JLU!

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
I thought the death wobble in Jeeps was mainly because of the suspension system -- being coil-sprung with a track bar setup?

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
I thought the death wobble in Jeeps was mainly because of the suspension system -- being coil-sprung with a track bar setup?
So this basically would split the difference between a convertible and a targa. In a convertible you have the whole roof structure cut away which leaves room for excessive vibration to be transmitted through the chassis. With a targa top, the rigidity is still there because of the added roof support structure that's absent from the convertible. More metal, more rigidity. Less metal, more wobble. Hope this makes sense?
Sponsored