DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I found a screw tying down a cable for one side, the other side is zip tied to the air vent. Power and antenna cable to the right, microphone extension to the left.

CDC73CCE-5B70-46FE-963D-FA5EE34BEC97.jpeg
I think that's where I'm going to go with mine. Was there a good place to ground it close by?
Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
I think that's where I'm going to go with mine. Was there a good place to ground it close by?
Refer to the top of this thread. There are pictures of an unused ground terminal in front of the door sill. That’s what I used.

InfraPulse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
@matchews I think this is my favourite setup I've seen so far! How did this all turn out? Do you have any SWR numbers? How is the range, and clarity?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this in another thread, but since it has been revived, I'll throw it on here.. I've got the Cooltech antenna mount with Firestick and a Uniden CMX760 CB. I've played around with it a bit and found the range to be pretty good...much better than my JK, which probably needs a CB tune.
qBaUrFd.jpg

KM4iHcy.jpg

KtZkW4E.jpg

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
mounted mine behind the glovebox

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I like that! That's where I'm going to mount my GMRS microphone. I'll then put whichever mic, CB or GMRS, is in use on the front, and the other on the side, like that.

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
Its kinda hidden down low, don't use it much.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
How are you guys liking the Uniden so far?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How are you guys liking the Uniden so far?
I like it. It has decent volume and sound quality, has good range (that may be the antenna/mount more than the radio, but my JK has a Firestick and Cooltech license plate carrier mount and it doesn't have the range this one does, at least for receiving. The seat of my pants tells me the CMX760 transmits better, too.) It is light, and my favorite feature is the microphone cord extension. WIth other CBs, I've had to stretch the cord. Not on this one. I also like the selectable backlight colors. It feels like a good quality unit.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I like it. It has decent volume and sound quality, has good range (that may be the antenna/mount more than the radio, but my JK has a Firestick and Cooltech license plate carrier mount and it doesn't have the range this one does, at least for receiving. The seat of my pants tells me the CMX760 transmits better, too.) It is light, and my favorite feature is the microphone cord extension. WIth other CBs, I've had to stretch the cord. Not on this one. I also like the selectable backlight colors. It feels like a good quality unit.
Excellent. I'm seriously thinking about copying your setup. One of my biggest complaints with the Cobra 75 is its ergonomics. The button layout has always bothered me. Despite that, I think if I were to mount the Cobra 75 in the same location you've got yours, its weight would eventually pull on that trim piece. I can't count how many times that thing flew off its clip on the trail when it was in my JK due to its bulky size.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent. I'm seriously thinking about copying your setup. One of my biggest complaints with the Cobra 75 is its ergonomics. The button layout has always bothered me. Despite that, I think if I were to mount the Cobra 75 in the same location you've got yours, its weight would eventually pull on that trim piece. I can't count how many times that thing flew off its clip on the trail when it was in my JK due to its bulky size.
Yes, I have a Cobra 75 set up with a cigarette lighter and magnetic antenna that I loan to friends. I agree, it is bulky and heavy. I don't care for the display, either. It is a solid unit, though, and takes a beating.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
DickZip, what RAM mount/parts did you use to install your cell phone? I see the ball is directly into that screw on the handrail. I want to mount my iPad mini exactly like that...

OP
OP

matchews

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@matchews I think this is my favourite setup I've seen so far! How did this all turn out? Do you have any SWR numbers? How is the range, and clarity?
The first uniden bearcat radio I purchased was only outputting around 2 watts. I dialed it up and still only got 2.5. The SWR on that radio was incredibly low, near 1, but the wattage was low. I got a replacement that would output around 3 watts out of the box. I dialed it up to 3.5 watts and the SWR was around 1.2. I had to take my antenna off so it wasn't banging the garage door every day, so I don't have any good numbers on range. It will only be used for offroading. I feel like the first radio was better even though the numbers don't agree. I'm not convinced that that Uniden is a solid radio based on my experience, but I like the features it has compared to the Cobra. I hope this helps.

InfraPulse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The first uniden bearcat radio I purchased was only outputting around 2 watts. I dialed it up and still only got 2.5. The SWR on that radio was incredibly low, near 1, but the wattage was low. I got a replacement that would output around 3 watts out of the box. I dialed it up to 3.5 watts and the SWR was around 1.2. I had to take my antenna off so it wasn't banging the garage door every day, so I don't have any good numbers on range. It will only be used for offroading. I feel like the first radio was better even though the numbers don't agree. I'm not convinced that that Uniden is a solid radio based on my experience, but I like the features it has compared to the Cobra. I hope this helps.
Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for. I've heard mixed things about the Uniden too, but also wanted to do something different from Cobra. Thank you!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There was a post somewhere about how to adjust and increase the power in the Uniden CMX760. Mine seems like it is performing well, but I'm going to get in there anyway and make sure it is as close to 4w as I can get.
Sponsored