Sponsored

2021 JLU on order :-)

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Due to the excellent information you guys provided in the forum, I ordered my JLU 2 weeks ago. VIN was assigned the next business day. Sitting in status D as of Friday.

I went ahead and ordered a 2021 for 4 reasons.

1) I need a vehicle soon and the car market is so screwed up right now. It sounds like an excuse, but the Wrangler was the only vehicle I was considering that I could get a good deal on, so win-win.

2) I suppose no one outside Jeep knows for certain, but based on history I would expect minimal changes for 2022.

3) Assuming the price won't go down for 2022.

4) Not counting years where there are major styling or equipment changes, buying at the end of a model year typically makes little difference in resale. If I buy a 2021, after 3 years I'll have a 2021 with 60,000 miles. If I wait I'll have a 2022 with 60,000 miles. The mileage offsets the model year.

5) I've worked in manufacturing as an Engineer setting up production lines. You are better off buying a product they have been building over and over for a year than one they just started building last week.

20210627_104910.jpg
Sponsored

BobT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2013 Dart
Great choice.
Enjoy your ride

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I went through a similar process to you (ordered 6/15, picking up on Saturday). My current pickup is an '07 with 203K miles on it. It's served me extremely well, but it's also at a point where I consider it somewhat of a ticking time bomb. It runs fine, but it's 15 years old with 200K+ miles on it - SOMETHING is bound to wear out in the next ~3-6 months, and it's not likely to be something that's cheap to repair/replace. It's also been paid off for ... a long time, so if I'm able to unload it AND get some of that back, even better.

My factors:

1. With used prices where they are, I'm getting ~2x more for my '07 pickup than I anticipated. And since it's been paid off for quite some time, I can (in my own head) consider this "free money" and use it as my "first mods budget".

2. By custom-ordering my JLUSA using information from here, I saved approximately ~$8K off the *sticker* price, handily avoiding most of the nutso factors in the current new market and giving me a slight head start on this thing retaining its value.

3. I actually debated between a decently-loaded '17 Rubicon in the color I wanted vs a fully-loaded '21 Sahara in a color I can handle. They were within ~$1-2K in price. While I really, really love the Rhino color, it just doesn't make any sense to pay the same price for a 5-year-old vehicle with less features than a new vehicle with more features, full warranty, zero miles, etc.

4. I also made the same two assumptions for the MY22 changes. It'll be annoying if MY22 includes Uconnect 5, and I'll be positively LIVID if they bring back Rhino as a color option, but otherwise, I'm confident that a MY22 and a MY21 are going to be roughly the same. I actually would be surprised if they DIDN'T raise the price on the 22's, frankly.

5. Extremely minimal, but still calculable, are the gas savings. Current pickup is a 15-year-old 4.8L V8 that gets 12-14 MPG on a good day. Going to a brand new, significantly more efficient 2.0L I4, which should get ~20 MPG (assuming I'm strong enough to avoid going to 35's), I'm saving a little bit of money every month on gas. Granted, this is negligible at best, but still there.

So yeah, right now is a crazy time to buy a new vehicle, but I also feel pretty good about buying a Wrangler right now, as well. Mine was <30 days from order to delivery - hopefully yours is similar.

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales
I went through a similar process to you (ordered 6/15, picking up on Saturday). My current pickup is an '07 with 203K miles on it. It's served me extremely well, but it's also at a point where I consider it somewhat of a ticking time bomb. It runs fine, but it's 15 years old with 200K+ miles on it - SOMETHING is bound to wear out in the next ~3-6 months, and it's not likely to be something that's cheap to repair/replace. It's also been paid off for ... a long time, so if I'm able to unload it AND get some of that back, even better.

My factors:

1. With used prices where they are, I'm getting ~2x more for my '07 pickup than I anticipated. And since it's been paid off for quite some time, I can (in my own head) consider this "free money" and use it as my "first mods budget".

2. By custom-ordering my JLUSA using information from here, I saved approximately ~$8K off the *sticker* price, handily avoiding most of the nutso factors in the current new market and giving me a slight head start on this thing retaining its value.

3. I actually debated between a decently-loaded '17 Rubicon in the color I wanted vs a fully-loaded '21 Sahara in a color I can handle. They were within ~$1-2K in price. While I really, really love the Rhino color, it just doesn't make any sense to pay the same price for a 5-year-old vehicle with less features than a new vehicle with more features, full warranty, zero miles, etc.

4. I also made the same two assumptions for the MY22 changes. It'll be annoying if MY22 includes Uconnect 5, and I'll be positively LIVID if they bring back Rhino as a color option, but otherwise, I'm confident that a MY22 and a MY21 are going to be roughly the same. I actually would be surprised if they DIDN'T raise the price on the 22's, frankly.

5. Extremely minimal, but still calculable, are the gas savings. Current pickup is a 15-year-old 4.8L V8 that gets 12-14 MPG on a good day. Going to a brand new, significantly more efficient 2.0L I4, which should get ~20 MPG (assuming I'm strong enough to avoid going to 35's), I'm saving a little bit of money every month on gas. Granted, this is negligible at best, but still there.

So yeah, right now is a crazy time to buy a new vehicle, but I also feel pretty good about buying a Wrangler right now, as well. Mine was <30 days from order to delivery - hopefully yours is similar.
With trade values through the roof ordering a new vehicle is definitely more attractive than it once was. Also I am seeing sold orders coming in very fast.

Sponsored

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Due to the excellent information you guys provided in the forum, I ordered my JLU 2 weeks ago. VIN was assigned the next business day. Sitting in status D as of Friday.

I went ahead and ordered a 2021 for 4 reasons.

. . .
Congrats. Update your status changes in this thread. It's great record of order progression.